Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

2kW DRSSTC Converter

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
HV Enthusiast
Thu Aug 03 2006, 11:40AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Thanks for all the info. Fortunately, I have been designing these types of power supplies for more than six years now for military and space applications, so I am up on all the nuances, and do's and don'ts.

As far as thermal interface goes, I use simple grafoil which is considerably better than any of the phase-change materials.

I'm not a big fan of phase change material and don't like the stuff that much. Whenever you go to remove a supply, it always leaves half the stuff on the coldplate, and the other half on the supply. Not the easiest stuff to remove or clean up.
robert
Thu Aug 03 2006, 12:30PM
robert Registered Member #188 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 05:18PM
Well, i was doing assembly of lets say sensitive electronics at some company (which i shouldnt realy talk about too much)...
All stuff had to be done in cleanroom environment and it had to be _perfect_.
The modules assembled with grease (luckily) were only demo units for testing, the real ones were assembled with phasechange film.
The module surface was milled flat (lets say, real flat, perfect mirror finish, shining a laser beam at it makes no visible spot viewed from the side) as was the mating heat-exchanger surface.Both had to be the same aluminium alloy for thermal expansion reasons.

Actually, i bought some of the modules that didnt pass the incoming inspction (eg had a scratch or a bubble under the label) and im planning to use them for some projects too.And im getting the right thermal film too.No way im using grease.

HV Enthusiast
Thu Aug 03 2006, 12:54PM
Lets please keep this discussion on topic and not debate techniques which for obvious and economic reasons will not be employed in a low-cost commercial / amateur application which is being discussed here. These supplies will be used in low-cost commercial assemblies and will not be launched with the latest multi-billion dollar satellite. Thanks.
Steve Conner
Thu Aug 03 2006, 01:28PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Aww. I was getting all excited for the launch of the DRSSTC Twin Killer Satellites sponsored by Lockheed Martin wink

Anyway, to keep on topic. From what you posted, I'm guessing that you got a commercial switched-mode power supply brick that used a resonant design, removed the step-down transformer and secondary rectifier, replaced the switching devices with those IXYS fast IGBTs, hacked the protection circuitry to boost the peak current limit, and hooked the output of the inverter up to the old DC output pins?

I like it smile
HV Enthusiast
Thu Aug 03 2006, 03:48PM
wrote ...

Anyway, to keep on topic. From what you posted, I'm guessing that you got a commercial switched-mode power supply brick that used a resonant design, removed the step-down transformer and secondary rectifier, replaced the switching devices with those IXYS fast IGBTs, hacked the protection circuitry to boost the peak current limit, and hooked the output of the inverter up to the old DC output pins?

You guessed wrong. The design is custom from the ground up. :P
Steve Conner
Thu Aug 03 2006, 11:42PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Wow. I don't know what to say. I mean, it's really impressive, but how in the world are you going to recoup the development and tooling costs?

My PLL driver system is made with 1970s style through hole components and needs a fair amount of hand assembly. (The end user is expected to make their own H-bridge.) It looks pretty big and crude in comparison to that nice brick thing. But I think I should have made it even cruder and nastier if I'd wanted to sell lots of them wink

I'm adding modules to it and hopefully I'll end up with a kind of high frequency resonant lego set that can be used to make anything from a small induction heater to a giant DRSSTC running off 480V three-phase power.
1154648578 30 FT13940 Img 1528 Pll Army
Terry Fritz
Tue Aug 15 2006, 11:58PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Oh My!!

Dave just posted this to the other list...

Looks like IR put the DRSSTC driverer on a "chip"!! amazed

IRS2453D

Data Sheet here:

Link2

Cheers,

Terry
HV Enthusiast
Wed Aug 16 2006, 01:32AM
Thanks for posting. Looks good, but doesn't look the onboard gate drivers can really do much as far as driving big devices. Might be good for a micro coil. Also, the max useable (at least advertised) frequency is 100kHz, which kind of opposes the micro coil route.
Terry Fritz
Thu Aug 17 2006, 03:28AM
Yeah....

The current drive sucks...

But the technology "is there now"... I'll give IR a "little" time to drive that current up wink))

But it is a "leap forward" in the H-drive situation... We can always "tickle" the RC timing to sync with the primary current easily :o)))

I wish I was still in the industry in a position to just "tell" them what to do next :o)))

Cheers,

Terry

Terry Fritz
Sat Aug 19 2006, 10:22PM
Hi,

Half bridge with 250mA current drive:

Link2

But what is really cool is check out the "load" they are using now amazed I don't know if they have a specific commerical application in mind or if the "coilers" that talk to IR design are "getting their way" cheesey Chip designers struggle to find the coolest problems to solve and make chips for. "We" bend their ears whenever we can wink) It worked for MMC caps wink

I have my "order" in for a 10 amp 30V drive version at 250kHz to be designed next smile Aparently, the present chips do higher frequencies with no problem at all... Modern IGBTs can run pretty hard off just 15 volts of gate drive. But that 250mA is a big problem. It can be amplified as discused here:

Link2

But best if they just make it all on the chip too wink) Maybe sometihg bigger than a SOIC package too cheesey

Worth the wait wink

Any updates on Dan's "real and now" DRSSTC driver ??

Cheers,

Terry
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: