Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

what do you think of these bricks?

first  4 5 6 7 
Move Thread LAN_403
Reaching
Fri Aug 11 2006, 08:31PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
i build everything exactly ,with resistors etc, but it doesnt work properly and i dont want to toast my bricks so i made my own driver, and it works and i can slap myself around if something bad happens. okay, the disadvantage is that i must use 2 different supply voltages, but who cares.

next problem is that im a total noob in smps so i want to use a normal transformer, selfwound of course for 4x12 and 4x40volts, a lot easier for me than a smps, thats nothing for me.i experimented a bit but i only get crap and i wanted it to be regulated but it have to be isolated and i have no parts here to build it like i want and im out of money, so >normal transformer tongue
Steve Ward
Fri Aug 11 2006, 09:12PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Oh, i just noticed something with my schematic. While it technically is the right schematic for what i drive my CM300 IGBTs with, there are some things that might not allow it to work CW. Resistors R2 and R3 might be too big for CW operation as they would limit the current provided to the gate driver circuit. Also, i wanted to mention i used a 9.4V zener to clamp the negative voltage, so the real drive on my bricks is -9V to +30V right now, not -15V as i might have stated before. So the DC input would be lower accordingly.

Reaching, im not quite sure how your circuit:

Link2

could work with 40VDC applied across the half-bridge while only using a 15V drive from the gate driver chip (from what i can figure, it shouldnt be able to operate both fets, one or the other or both would be ON the whole time). And umm, your 30V TVS is shorting out any negative gate voltage, unless you used a bi-directional TVS, but you didnt indicate that in your schematic.
Plasmaniac
Sat Aug 12 2006, 09:40AM
Plasmaniac Registered Member #206 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 03:17PM
Firkragg wrote ...

Using separate supplies for all 4 drivers is the point.
Bridges cannot work without some kind of isolated gatedrive.

You just doubled the trouble by tapping the power supply again for each board, that's 8 separate windings you need to wind on some toroidal transformer or etc.

Eh, you dont need to make 4 separate supplies. 2x2 IGBTs are connected anyway, so you need just 2 separate PSUs for your brick drivers. I'm a noob when it comes to build a DRSSTC but I always try to save as many parts as I can, so I'd use just 2 separated PSUs, one for the electronics and one brick driver pair and another one for the other pair of brick drivers. Also, I'd make just 2 ~25V windings in total and a voltage doubler like this:

1155374967 206 FT13876 Doubler

You can use a 7815 and 7915 to get the Voltages you need for your drivers and electronics (+-15 and +30?).
Reaching
Sat Aug 12 2006, 12:25PM
meh, i can definately say thats way too high for me, negative voltage, positive voltage,umg, smps and everything like this. mhh, omg, have to try some normal gdt drivers or so, ill

okay, update, gdt tests ended in crap, now i got my high side driver version working, but why should it not work steve, i think its fine, here are a few pics

Link2 (the brick driver fits perfectly on my bricks)
Link2 (on testing)
Link2 (gatewaveform on 50khz measured directly on the brick, v/div 5 volt 20ys/div input voltage 15 volt driver ic and 15 volt bridge)
Link2 (same but with 100khz input signal)

from the pics and the longtime test for 15 minutes im sure that it works, drawing around 0,2A 15 volts (okay have to make some tests with 30volts or so on the bridge but why should that cause trouble? cheesey
Steve Conner
Sat Aug 12 2006, 05:25PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Plasmaniac, you need at least 3 separate power supplies. Sure, the collectors of the top two IGBTs are connected together, but the gate drive has to be referenced to the emitters, which are connected to the RF outputs.

You can use a common power supply for the two bottom gate drivers, but like most people, I used 4 completely isolated supplies and drive signals. It's not really that much more hassle and you don't have to worry about the L*di/dt voltages that tend to appear between things that are supposed to be "connected together" in power electronics.

I also used a string of zeners instead of resistors, to regulate the supply to 36V and split it into +24 and -12. I see other people use higher voltages, but I think +24 is enough: I ran my OLTC gate driver at that voltage and ended up putting about 3000-4000A peak through each 600A brick with no problems.
Steve Ward
Sat Aug 12 2006, 05:26PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
OK, yes, your driver will work fine at 15V, but at about 20V, i predict the "sh*t will hit the fan". The reason you dont see a problem is probably because you arent too familiar with the workings of a P-ch mosfet. For a Pch to be off, you must have 0V or a positive G-S voltage. To turn them ON, the gate has to be lower than 0V relative to the source (typically -5V to turn it on). Now, your gate driver can apply 15V of total "swing" to both of the gates. Tell me, with 40V across the 2 sources of the bridge, how do you plan to turn both fets off at any point in time with only a 15V swing?

My driver avoids this problem in a sneaky way, by capacitively coupling the drive to the Pch fet, but not the Nch. Due to the self-biasing (provided by the resistor and diode across the G-S), the capacitive coupling only pulls the mosfets gate negative, and then pushes it back up to 0V.

Eh, you dont need to make 4 separate supplies. 2x2 IGBTs are connected anyway, so you need just 2 separate PSUs for your brick drivers.

Unless the IGBTs share a common emitter, they MUST have isolated power for the gate drivers. So, i suppose if you wanted, you could use one supply for the "bottom" 2 IGBTs. Id worry about ground loop issues (which could be a real problem). The top IGBTs have a common collector, but their emitter voltage is going up and down between 0V and Vin, so they each need their own isolation.
Reaching
Sat Aug 12 2006, 06:56PM
yeah steve youre right, im not familiar in p channel, its the first time ever i used one. but its no problem to add this cap,resistor,diode to my current circuit, than it should work or not?

okay, made a few changes in my shematic and now everything works fine even with more than 15 volt applied to the bridge,
Link2

heres a pic of the gate waveform with 22volt applied to the bridge and 12 volt applied to the driver ic, same as above, 50khz 20ys/div 5volt/div

Link2

hehe, now everything is right,hope so confused cheesey
Steve Conner
Sat Aug 12 2006, 10:26PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
That waveform looks great. You still ought to have some sort of resistor or zener string across your two electrolytic caps, though.
williamn
Sun Aug 13 2006, 02:18AM
williamn Registered Member #55 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:56AM
If you know how to build a simple SSTC you can build a SMPS. There is no scary Voodoo smile Here is a pic of one I built about six months ago, nothing fancy, no PWM or anything just free running at 30khz. One of the output windings can charge a 6800uf capacitor to 45VDC in about 2.5 seconds I have beat on this thing hard and it works fine in my medium DRSSTC. I have since moved on to seperate onboard PWM SMPS for each gatedrive card, but a simple one as above will do.
1155435490 55 FT13876 Gatedrive Psu
Reaching
Sun Aug 13 2006, 08:02AM
yeah, i build several small smps but the results were always dissapointing and i dont know what i do wrong or if something is wrong. i found a program to calculate the turn ratio for smps transformers and build a transformer for 4x15volt out, . i used the halfbridge converter with a simple 555 driving 2 mosfets at 100khz (to prevent inducing voltage spikes etc in my 50khz drive signal). i use a double E core with about 5x5cm and 1 cm thickness , that should be enough for 100watts

the only thing i dont understand, the powersupply charges the cap without load to about 20volts, with a 1k! load the voltage drops to 12 volt, and with a small motor connected the voltage drops to 11 volt drawing 200mA thats only about 2 watts! this is really dissapointing sad
first  4 5 6 7 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: