Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

what do you think of these bricks?

Move Thread LAN_403
Sat Aug 05 2006, 09:38PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Well considering that Reaching has about 10in^2 he shouldn't have any worries wink
Steve Ward
Sat Aug 05 2006, 10:01PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
My CM300 bridge gets pretty stinking hot without forced air cooling. The dissipation is in the 300W range. I try to apply the thermal grease as evenly as possible, with the recomended thickness of 8 mils. The cooler you keep the IGBTs, the harder you can push them cheesey .
Reaching
Sun Aug 06 2006, 12:05AM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
yeah steve is right, the brick sized igbts get very hot, i remember from my old brick sstc that a temparature of the big heatsink of 100 degrees celsius was normal for longer periods of time, okay without a fan.

lets take a look at my bridge or the pieces i already have. today i cutted the heatsink in 3 pieces, with a normal handsaw!!nobody wanted to cut it for me for a few bucks so i made it.

Link2

when my fans arrive every heatsink gets 2x 120mm fans with an air flow of 92m³ per hour, should be enough for extended runtimes
Steve Ward
Sun Aug 06 2006, 02:08AM
Those are some excellent heatsinks! You might want to check out my CM600 bridge for ideas on a low inductance layout:

Link2

You can ignore the first half of those pics, just waveforms of the gate rise and fall time (25nS measured at the terminals). This was of course slowed down to something more realistic (about 500nS rise time and 200nS fall time)
Reaching
Sun Aug 06 2006, 12:39PM
thanks steve, good idea, need some copper sheets cheesey .i want to use similar capacitors 12000yf 350volt, 2 in series 2 paralelled for a total of 12000yf 700volt dc
so, now the igbts are screwed on the heatsinks, and now i have to build a good power driver to drive these bricks, i thought of 2 fullbridges with 30v + and -15v input, each fullbridge driving 2 bricks, every brick has its own 1:1gdt, okay never needed such a high power to drive a brick but i think it should work, or will the waveform look like crap cause of the many gdts?
Steve Ward
Sun Aug 06 2006, 07:55PM
The GDTs will not transfer the -15V +30V driver properly. It will come out as +/- 22.5V on the gates. You could try the "standard" gate drive scheme with just +/- 30V from a GDT, but the GDT will limit the peak current due to its stray inductance. For really big bricks, you simply must use high side drivers that connect straight to the IGBT. It might seem like a lot of extra work, but its really the best way. Those 1200V 210A IGBTs you have might work OK from GDT drive, with a healthy gate driver behind it (maybe 4 parallel UCC 9A drivers for a 36A gate driver). Try to minimize the GDT inductance. It might be worth going "coaxial" where your primary is simply a foil shield around the several secondary windings inside (imagine coax, but with 4 conductors inside instead of 1).
Sun Aug 06 2006, 11:10PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Might I suggest Blackplasma's uberdrivers? Seem like an easy solution to a complex problem tongue
Marko
Sun Aug 06 2006, 11:59PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Uberdrivers® are unable to charge above 15 volts so IGBT's would die when overstressed.

I think Ward's solution is simplest and best at time.

Another way for making UberGDT® could be using a bunch of thin wires (0,1..0,2mm) wound multifilary, and braided together tightly. It is a bit pain to find your leads after but coupling is reallly high and leakage inductance low. Altough I'm not sure if it is really better than shielded networking cable GDT. (maybe you can get little less ohmic resistance?).

Steve Conner
Mon Aug 07 2006, 09:40AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Meh. I looked at all these schemes for driving IGBT bricks and in the end I decided to make a driver similar to Ward's (there's also a similar design by Dan Strother)

However, I seem to remember Jimmy Hynes was successful driving bricks off a GDT with a 1:2 stepup ratio to give +/-30V drive. But I think he did have a lot of trouble getting good looking waveforms.

Reaching your heatsink is "Supergeil" tongue
Reaching
Mon Aug 07 2006, 10:30AM
hehe, yeah , supergeil is the right word for these uberbig heatsinks cheesey
i started to build the low inductance wiring and it looks nice. i left enough space to change the driving pcbs on each brick so i can experiment with some different driving shemes,. the problem is i dont understand exactly how wards brick driver works, first it looks like some sort of halfbridge driven by a ucc driver ic, but from expierience the ucc driver ic is very sensible for high side driving igbts or mosfets, but i wonder about the smps is it really needed, or can i simply build a transformer based powersupply for the drivers?. firstly i want to try the normal gdt sheme, the igbts only have a gate capacitance of 38nF , i already wired a 50nF brick with gdts and a resonant frequency of around 100khz and it worked well for me, .

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: