Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

what do you think of these bricks?

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Reaching
Tue Aug 01 2006, 10:36AM Print
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
a few days ago i came across a bunch of 9 igbt bricks from fuji 1MBI400F-060
datasheet: Link2

i got them very cheap for around 5$ for one and the ratings are very good, 600volt 400A continious and 800A peak and relatively fast though, gate capacitance of around 22nF.. so now i wanted to build a real monster drsstc out of them and wanted to know what do you guys think ? what is the best way to drive these bricks, i wanted to use a fullbridge running of +30 - 15volts with a 1:1 gdt for each igbt, should work ? the secondary frequency of the coil will be around 60-80khz .so what do you think?
teravolt
Wed Aug 02 2006, 03:07AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
they will work. go to Steve Ward's web site and find the link for Richie Burrnet's link for the theory and any of the senior members links for more stuff. just read. thats how I figured it out
Marko
Wed Aug 02 2006, 12:30PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I think he just wanted to pimp out some of his loved bricks smile

The datasheet you put there didn't work for me tough, this is from catalog
Link2

gate capacitance seems to be 38nf, and switching times

microseconds, probably could be used on lowest frequency you can manage to do (40, 50kHz).

Reaching
Wed Aug 02 2006, 03:46PM
amazed not micro seconds, y seconds ,, and 40khz seems very low though, i tested one of them okay up to 120khz, with 140khz the current draw increases and the squarewave is distorted but under 100khz everything is perfect , and that was with a single 9A gate driver ic on 12 volt, the quality of the signal will be much better on a drive fullbridge at -15 + 30volt (already build one for my old bricks)
Steve Ward
Wed Aug 02 2006, 06:31PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Its hard to really know for sure what the switching rate is, it depends on the load characteristics. But, i think the *delay* times are the most crucial thing, and cant really be fixed. In your case, you will probably need a way to generate a little deadtime, so that you dont get shoot-through. I also would suggest operating at 40khz or even *less*. I run considerably faster devices at 40khz, and the delays are very significant, meaning i have to switch about 1/6th of the peak primary current, or about 250A in my case. With slower bricks, the problem just gets worse and worse. When you hard switch more current, you have to deal with larger, more energetic voltage spikes.
Reaching
Wed Aug 02 2006, 08:25PM
mhh, why so pessimistic? you build a drsstc with bricks, many other people done it and i already build a sstc with some older bricks and with a much higher frequency than 40khz. okay, it´ll be a big drsstc but i definately cant get it down to 40khz, and to tune the primary circuit to 40khz when the secondary fres is around 60khz (which is in a possible level) is senseless.. and really, voltage spikes can be a problem, but with some surpressor diodes and big decoupling caps that shouldnt be a problem, delay is the problem, but can it be really dangerous to 800A peak Bricks,okay, when the delay is too long it can result in shoot through but i tested one igbt up to 140 khz and below 100khz i get a perfect signal even with a load, so i dont think it´ll be that tricky to build a good fullbridge out of them for frequencies of around 60-80khz .. i´ve build several drsstcs and never had any problems with the delay times even when i ran 100khz igbts with around 300khz (with my mini drsstc5)
okay, first tests will show what i can make with these bricks, i can make failures, they were cheap and i have 9 of them tongue
Steve Ward
Wed Aug 02 2006, 08:42PM
I agree, i am being a bit pessimistic.

and really, voltage spikes can be a problem, but with some surpressor diodes and big decoupling caps that shouldnt be a problem,

But if the inductance leading to the diodes and decoupling caps is too great (>50nH), the spikes will still be present. This is the headache ive been going through when working with these older bricks, they have too much internal inductance, which means they are meant to be switched sloooooowly to prevent huge voltage spikes from developing across the CE junction. Its a whole new beast compared to the new, very fast, very low inductance IGBTs, in which case, you can usually exceed the ratings with little worry.
Reaching
Thu Aug 03 2006, 03:35PM
hehe, just got 2 other bricks from ebay dirt cheap for around 5$ for both, they are halfbridge modules rated at 1200 volts 210A continous and 420A pulsed, and are much faster than the other big fuji igbts, maybe good for a "smaller" drsstc with a voltage doubler,and with only 11nF gate capacitance, means you can run a fullbridge of them with normal gdts and 2 pairs of driver ics at around 100khz shades . heres the datasheet

Link2

hehe, i like those cheap outgoing auctions cheesey
Steve Ward
Thu Aug 03 2006, 05:05PM
maybe good for a "smaller" drsstc with a voltage doubler

Those IGBTs are actually capable of processing slightly more power than the 600V 400A bricks. I bet they could do 10 foot sparks in a full bridge.
HV Enthusiast
Thu Aug 03 2006, 06:46PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Just keep in mind, size doesn't mean everything. You don't need big bricks to get big arcs. Just for comparison, I have a DRSSTC running with a half-bridge of small D2Pak Surface Mount IGBTs (which cost about $4.00 each), putting out over 50" worth of arc.
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: