All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

CW multipliers

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Mon Jul 31 2006, 02:43AM Print
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I have a question about Cockcroft Walton or Villard Cascade voltage multipliers....

In theory the caps only see a dc voltage... But as you draw current you get ac through them...

So I was wondering if electrolytics can be used? I want to use these 200v/820uf caps I have laying arround to make a 2 stage multiplier to take the 120v mains (160v p-p) up to 600v+ or so for an off line vttc. I calculate that with 800ufd I can give 500ma at 600v... But I worry that my caps will be looking at as much as 320vac, which they most definantly will not like.

So, how should I go about solving the problem? would it be 'safe' to put the 2 caps back to back to make a bipolar electrolytic? perhapse I need a diode in antiparallel with the caps? If I do that I will only have 400uf, but that should still be enough (I only need 200ma)

But then I am still running the caps at more than their rated voltage... But then I read somewhere that as you draw current off the multiplier you reduce the amount of voltage on the caps, so I think they might just be ok... So do I need to use 8 caps for each of the 4 caps in the multiplier for a total of 32 caps (a wooping 500J) That would be with the caps in a 2x2 arrangment for a 820uf/400v cap, then in antiparallel for a 400uf/400vac then the 4 caps for the multiplier.

Thanks!
ragnar
Mon Jul 31 2006, 03:17AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Yup, if you want to make a bipolar electrolytic capacitor, connect the negatives together and place a diode across each capacitor with the cathode/stripe to the cap's positive.

I've been running a 10,000uF 63V electrolytic at 60V for a while now and he seems OK -- he's probably a quality cap though, and I suspect even if you go marginally over the ratings you'll get short-lived caps.

Personally I wouldn't rely on the load to keep the caps under their ratings... but hey, that's what dummy loads are for. =)
dan
Mon Jul 31 2006, 03:17AM
dan Registered Member #223 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 06:42PM
Yeah that voltage rating seems a bit low. I have used electrolitics with pretty good results in a Villard cascade. I use it for charging. The caps don't seem to mind it but charging only takes a second or two. I would try to stay away from electrolitics for your application. I would probably look for some motor run capacitors but anything above 15-30uf is going to cost you if you buy them new. Never tired to make bipolar electrolitic with diodes before but it sounds like it would work. Since the capacitors really aren't in series(physically yes but electrically no) the new pseudo-bipolar capacitor should retian the same 800uf capacitance.
Mon Jul 31 2006, 03:33AM
really I need electrolytics, since I need at lest 300ufd to get the necessary output power... A motor start cap of 300ufd would be huge... I am really tired of lugging that mot around (thus the offline coil-I was hoping that 4 little caps would work...)

I am thinking of using a little autotransformer to give me 240v, then use a full wave voltage doubler to give 700ish volts. Seems like a much more elegant solution requireing only 1/10 the caps wink The coil would never have been truly offline since I needed the filament transformer...
dan
Mon Jul 31 2006, 03:40AM
dan Registered Member #223 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 06:42PM
If you really want to make it run off-line you could use a voltage divider to power the filiment off mains. But a small filiment transformer isn't that heavy anyway..
Mon Jul 31 2006, 03:49AM
I need about .5a for the filament, not something easy to take off the line directly...

I am going to build it arround the autotransformer for now and see where I get. I might rethink it later...
Sulaiman
Mon Jul 31 2006, 06:19AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
600V @ 200mA is 120W, say 150 VA transformer .. not too heavy.
Electroholic
Mon Jul 31 2006, 09:24AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
lytics will be fine in a CW.
i have been using the same one as a charger for my CG for almost two years now.
no need to pair them with diodes to make "bipolar" lytics.
but increasing the voltage rating won't hurt.
say 330V?
Tesladownunder
Mon Jul 31 2006, 12:40PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
100VAC in and 2000VDC out using electrolytics.

Peter

1154349647 10 FT13789 Cw2kv
Steve Conner
Mon Jul 31 2006, 01:59PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
10kV @ 100mA from a MOT using series strings of cheap 22uF 450v electrolytics

I can't see how you arrived at a ripple voltage of 320V from 0.5A and 800uF.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: