Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Induced permament magnetic field in projectile and coils

Move Thread LAN_403
Forty
Thu Apr 26 2012, 06:03PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
I got them a while ago for sale on bgmicro.com I believe. They don't seem to have them anymore unfortunately. Ebay doesn't even have any cheap ones.

toward the bottom of the page here Link2 you can buy just the pins.

Actually these should be fine too, and even cheaper than mine Link2

here are some longer ones, also cheap Link2

Those are all the best deals I could find. The complete solenoids come with several hundred feet of wire, a perfect size coil bobbin, and an external iron frame.
Pinkamena
Thu Apr 26 2012, 08:41PM
Pinkamena Registered Member #4237 Joined: Tue Nov 29 2011, 02:49PM
Gah, I can't find any dimensions for the diameter of the pistons... It's crucial for it to be 16mm or less. I've already got myself a barrel with an ID of 16mm.

Also, my efficiency program is done, and I'm getting some nice results. Using data from my FEMM simulations, it calculates a total efficiency of about 30%. The total efficiency do vary with the energy distribution on the stages! I'm gonna do some more testing and see if I've done any mistakes.

EDIT: There's definitively something wrong! With 30 stages, I get a total efficiency of 650%! I've either invented a perpetuum mobile, or there's something wrong with my code. Debugging time!

Allright, I found the error, and did some testing. Using an energy distribution that follows the natural logarithm e, I found the that the best distribution is the one that follows the function E(x)=43.11 E^(-0.344828 x), where x is the coil number. Using this function, I get a total efficiency of 9,2 %.
Sinusoidal functions might work as well, but they're more difficult to set up for repeated testing. Gonna try a few different functions and see what results I get.
Arowana
Wed Jun 13 2012, 03:44PM
Arowana Registered Member #5059 Joined: Tue May 29 2012, 06:28AM
I noticed myself that some of my projectiles became permanent magnet, you can be sure of that by looking a this, the magnetical hesteresis loop show that if you put a ferromagnetic material on a strong field there will be residual magnetism.
Yandersen
Fri Oct 05 2012, 03:34PM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
It is proved by exp of many people that regular nails left unmagnetized after a shoot. Howether demagnetization does not happen instantly and must be considered in multistage coilgun operation to make sure each subsequent coil generate the same polarity of magnetic field, otherwise back push will lower the efficiency as well as magnetization losses in a projectile. By my own exp the negative impact of different coil polarity is HUGE and may lower the efficiency up to 50% or so.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: