Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

trying to repair FRG-7 receiver

first  4 5 6 7 
Move Thread LAN_403
hsieh
Thu May 10 2012, 04:06AM
hsieh Registered Member #1412 Joined: Thu Mar 27 2008, 04:07PM
Yes.When I turn preselect slowly from 2.3Mhz~2.6Mhz,the sound from the speaker first become slightly louder than become quiet again.If I remove the wire on SW1,this sound disappear.

What is the propose of this test?Is this signal come from outside of the receiver?
Proud Mary
Thu May 10 2012, 07:27AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
hsieh wrote ...

Yes.When I turn preselect slowly from 2.3Mhz~2.6Mhz,the sound from the speaker first become slightly louder than become quiet again.If I remove the wire on SW1,this sound disappear.

What is the propose of this test?Is this signal come from outside of the receiver?

It means receiver working!

Correct operation of receiver: Example: Set frequency to 9740 kHz

1. Set BAND to C - 4.0 - 11

2. Set main dial to 740

3. Set MHz to 9 so LOCK light go off.

4. Turn PRESELECT slowly between 9 - 10 until you get loudest signal, or noise.

Every time you change the main tuning dial, you must re-tune PRESELECT for loudest signal. This is very important on the lower frequencies, where a small change in frequency on the main dial will need a larger change in PRESELECT.
hsieh
Thu May 10 2012, 11:30AM
Now I know I have to adjust the preselect dial while tuning and I successfully received one or two local AM station.But seems that the sensitivity of my receiver is very low.With a cheap pocket radio I can receive many AM stations.
Proud Mary
Thu May 10 2012, 12:27PM
hsieh wrote ...

Now I know I have to adjust the preselect dial while tuning and I successfully received one or two local AM station.But seems that the sensitivity of my receiver is very low.With a cheap pocket radio I can receive many AM stations.

Transistor radio has internal ferrite rod antenna!

To listen on HF (BAND B, C, and D on this receiver) Connect SW1 (Short Wave 1)to a long wire antenna - 20 meters is enough - as high off the ground as you can make it.

Connect E to a good Earth.

To listen to AM Broadcast stations 0.5 - 1.6 MHz BAND A connect long wire antenna to BC.

You will hear very much noise on frequencies below about 10 MHz. This is normal today.
Try to learn about HF radio wave propagation - which frequencies work well during day, and which frequencies are best at night. A band on which no stations can be heard during the day may be full of stations at night. A band full of stations by day may be dead at night. It all depends on ionosphere.

Good Luck! smile
Proud Mary
Thu May 10 2012, 06:31PM
Hsieh! This is how I made indoor HF horizontal rectangular loop antenna 3.5 m x 4.5 m. for FRG-7

1336674451 543 FT0 Indoor  Antenna  Upload

Regular hammer drill not work on my wall! Hard concrete! I use SDS drill - everything shake and crack plaster! smile

hsieh
Mon May 14 2012, 02:16AM
Today I also replace Q104.I found the one in my receiver is 3SK51 instead of 3SK40 in the manual.I replaced it with 3SK40 because I bought several 3SK40 and someone on another forum says that loss of sensitivity might because 3SK40 is damaged.

But there is no improvement.Probably I need to re-alignment it.If I am going to use signal generator preform alignment procedure in the manual,what output voltage should I set my signal generator to?

And why the schematic says Q104 is 3SK40 but I found 3SK51 in my receiver?Is this because manufacturer changed its design without changing the manual/schematic or because the previous owner repaired or modified it?
Proud Mary
Mon May 14 2012, 09:22PM
Injected RF and AF signal levels from generator must be appropriate for part of circuit under test.

Example: Maximum receiver sensitivity at antenna is 0.7 μV. An RF test voltage of 100 μV injected onto SW1 will be equivalent to a strong signal, but not enough to do damage.

Generally, you must select a signal generator output to be within the normal range of RF/AF voltage for the stage you are testing. You may increase this if you are sure that no damage will be done by a higher voltage applied at that place.

You have changed active parts in the signal path without good reason, and I expect it will be necessary to completely re-align the receiver for it to function correctly.

hsieh
Tue May 15 2012, 03:39PM
Today I tried to do the first step of alignment in the manual.I don't have a sweep signal generator.So I tried to inject different frequencies but I found that no matter what signal I inject,the waveform on TP104 didn't change at all.Even if I disconnect the signal generator.So what should I do now?
Proud Mary
Tue May 15 2012, 06:13PM
OK.

We test operation of First Heterodyne Oscillator Q201.

Connect oscilloscope or frequency counter between TP101 and TP102 (which is Earth/Ground).

What is the frequency on TP101?

What is RF voltage on TP101?
hsieh
Wed May 16 2012, 12:42AM
I measured the waveform at TP101.I get a sine wave and the frequency is around 75MHz.(MHZ dial set at 20MHz,as specified in the manual)
first  4 5 6 7 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: