Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

trying to repair FRG-7 receiver

first  4 5 6 7 
Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Thu May 03 2012, 09:15AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
hsieh wrote ...

Today I tried to send 1mV(lowest voltage on my signal generator) amplitude modulated signal to the antenna terminal of my FRG-7.

First I set my signal generator to 1.2MHz and tune my FRG-7 to this frequency.I can hear the sound but the sound is very faint.

Then I tried to send 10.5MHz signal and tune to this signal.Now the sound is very clear.

Did this mean that I need to calibrate my receiver?

Remember that 1 mV is more than 1000 times larger than minimum sensitivity of receiver, which is 0.7 μV. Such a large signal could bleed through a whole defective stage, and so appear at the audio output.

A problem often found with old communications receivers is called 'finger trouble' or 'the man with the golden screwdriver' - bad work of previous owner, who interfere with circuit to 'improve' it, without knowing what they are doing. This can result in the position of dust cores, trimmer capacitors, and pre-set potentiometers being far from optimum position.

I would now suggest - as I suggested above - that you start whole re-alignment procedure given in manual, and tell me how the receiver performs at each stage.

hsieh
Thu May 03 2012, 09:38AM
hsieh Registered Member #1412 Joined: Thu Mar 27 2008, 04:07PM
In fact, I am now not very sure how to alignment it.I read page 11 already but cannot understand every step.Especially steps that involve sweep signal generator.

The highest frequency of the signal generator in my school lab is 20MHz.

I also don't know what output voltage should I set my signal generator to.
Proud Mary
Thu May 03 2012, 06:51PM
It is possible to align receiver without sweep generator, by plotting frequency response graph on graph paper like Old Times, but you still need signal generator that can output 55 MHz.

So let us leave that problem, and try procedure number (2) on page 11 "Balanced Mixer" - to give us important information.

hsieh
Fri May 04 2012, 12:29PM
Did the manual means that connect drain of Q102 and Q103 to the antenna input and tune to 910KHz?

I did this but there seems to be no change on the S meter.I can hear s sound if I switch to CW mode.
Proud Mary
Fri May 04 2012, 01:31PM
hsieh wrote ...

Did the manual means that connect drain of Q102 and Q103 to the antenna input and tune to 910KHz?

I did this but there seems to be no change on the S meter.I can hear s sound if I switch to CW mode.

Bad translation Japanese to English! It mean you must connect antenna input terminal to Earth.

Look at back of receiver. Connect wire between SW1, BC, and E. (SW1 mean Short Wave (antenna) 1, and BC mean Broadcast antenna (Medium Frequency) and E mean Earth which Americans call 'Ground')

Now there is no RF signal from outside! Only 910 kHz spurious signal receiver make itself!

Now set BAND to A, and MHz to 0 and do procedure with VR101 and TC105 to make this bad, unwanted signal as small as possible. Slowly adjust VR101 a small amount, and then TC105. Then a little more on VR101. Then a little more on TC105 until you find best combination of R and C to make 910 kHz as small as possible.

hsieh
Mon May 07 2012, 02:35AM
I cannot find TC105.And no matter how I adjust VR101,the volume of 910KHz signal don't change.The S-meter didn't move either.

I also notice that when the main tuning dial is near 0 or 1000,my receiver will make a weird sound.

Now I borrowed a signal generator capable of generating up to 1GHz.But I'm still not sure how to do step 1 on the manual.
Proud Mary
Mon May 07 2012, 03:52PM
hsieh wrote ...

I also notice that when the main tuning dial is near 0 or 1000,my receiver will make a weird sound.

These are harmonics of 1 MHz synthesizer oscillator Q301. This is normal. It show that most of receiver working correctly.

Today is public holiday in England. I will work on your problem tomorrow.
Proud Mary
Tue May 08 2012, 08:04PM
OK.

Band selector position: B - 1.6 - 4.0
Main tuning dial: 500
Pre select: approx 2.5 MHz

Now turn slowly MHz between 2 and 3. Does red Lock light go off and then go on again as you turn knob?

LOCK light go off when frequency locked. When red LOCK light on, circuit NOT locked- like warning! Reverse of what you think! smile

If LOCK light test OK, try at other frequencies and tell me what you see.

hsieh
Wed May 09 2012, 12:34AM
Yes,The red light go on and off when I slowly turn the MHz dial.I tried different frequencies and it works.

I know that the light go off means the circuit is locked.Why they design it this way?why they didn't add an inverter/not gate?

I also replaced all electrolytic capacitor on the IF-AF unit PCB.
Proud Mary
Wed May 09 2012, 10:32AM
Red is warning light. Synthesizer not locked!

Set receiver to 2.5 MHz exactly as above. Set MODE to USB CW.

Connect long piece of wire to terminal SW1. 3 meters is OK, 5 m is better.

Turn up volume control.

Check LOCK light is off.

Now turn PRESELECT slowly between 2.3 to 2.6 MHz. Does the noise from speaker get louder while you turn PRESELECT, and then become more quiet?

first  4 5 6 7 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: