All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shaun (34)
Spedy (30)

Next birthdays
05/01 Shaun (34)
05/01 Spedy (30)
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SCR problem

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Part Scavenger
Tue Jul 25 2006, 12:26AM Print
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
I designed a ring launcher yesterday completely out of my head and spare parts (interchangeable cheesey ). I have a bar-voltmeter and everything, but this is the part that needs work. It works great up until 110VAC input, but after that, it starts to draw a bunch of power and C2 craters. Best guess is that the SCR isn't turning off and it's nuking the doubler? After C2 croaks, it works just fine (only the doubler puts out 1.5 Vin).

What can I do to fix this?
1153787120 79 FT0 Ringlauncher

PS, I guess it'd be worthy to note that I'm using 10uF's in the doubler instead of 5's like the schematic says.

Second question and possible answer:

Why is my doubler cratering? It should only put out something like 10mA and stop I should think. Nobody ever talks about overloading the doubler and my simulations when shorted don't draw alot of power, what gives?

Answer-- I'm using electrolytics in the doubler, so when it's loaded down too much I should see a sine wave -/+ 170V across the capacitor. Because it's an electrolytic, it's only rated one way and it fries. If it wasn't an electrolytic, I wouldn't have this problem and could short the output if I wanted. The output would only be a predetermined amount. Is this correct?
dan
Tue Jul 25 2006, 01:38AM
dan Registered Member #223 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 06:42PM
Are you inputting AC or DC? You have the inputs marked +/-. The doubler needs AC input to work. Also why is there an additional diode on the output of the doubler? The doubler should provide DC anyway. Also I don't see any current limiting on the input. Capacitors act like a dead short when they are discharged so the sudden inrush current would probably smoke the diodes.

I have used electrolytics in a doubler (quadrupler actually) before but using the Cockcroft-Walton configuration.

btw.. You should disconnect the charging circuit before you trigger the SCR.

P.S. w00t my 69th post.. Sorry I just really like that number..
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue Jul 25 2006, 08:54AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Where the heck is your current limiting resistor?

If you're going to double the mains you really need a limiting resistor before your big cap. Remember when it has No charge its a SHORT!!!

I want to see a 6K resistor in there pronto! and make sure it has some serious wattage behind it!
Part Scavenger
Tue Jul 25 2006, 10:18AM
Thanks guys, for some reason I was under the impression that the doubler limited itself.
Steve Conner
Tue Jul 25 2006, 10:48AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Connect a resistor of about 100 ohms-1k between the SCR gate and cathode. It's bad practice to let it float, as leakage from the anode can trigger it. I'm guessing that's what's happening to you.

If you use small capacitors, the doubler will limit itself. I tested this means of current limiting (though at high frequency) in my ZVS based coilgun charger a while back, and it worked fine. But if you rely on the caps for limiting, for goodness' sake don't use electrolytics: they'll see reverse voltage during the early stages of charging, and ripple current way too high for their size. Try some motor run caps or something.
Part Scavenger
Wed Jul 26 2006, 02:02AM
Thanks! I added a 100 ohm resistor to the G/C junction, and it works great! After a few minutes of use, the capacitors get warm, so I added a resistor. Works wonderful.

When I get it all into my oak box and finished, I'll post it.
benbradley
Wed Jul 26 2006, 03:12AM
benbradley Registered Member #312 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:50AM
Firstly a complaint, you say "C2" in your original post, but you don't have the capacitors numbered in your schematic!

But anyway, I can see what might happen to give one of the doubler capacitors reverse voltage. The current-limiting resistor others suggested isn't a total fix, it only reduces the problem enough so the cap doesn't (immediately) explode with 120V input.

Presuming you just plug this thing into the wall (or an isolation transformer and/or autotransformer) and the top input goes through the positive half-cycle up to +150V peak, this will charge the top 5uF (okay, you said they were 10) cap to +150V (with perhaps a lot of instantaneous current if plugged in at the middle of the half-cycle, but that's not the worst problem I see). It will also go through that other diode to the 470uF cap, but the return path for that is through the BOTTOM 10uF cap. You've got 150 volts across two caps in series, the 470uF, and the 10uF. About 98 percent of the voltage will appear across the smaller cap, but with reverse polarity! It won't actually have that much voltage across it - with reverse voltage, it will start to pull extra current, heat up, and get damaged.

Adding a couple more of those 1A 1000V diodes, reversed-biased across each of those 10uF caps will fix it. About a 100 to 150 ohm appropriate-power resistor in series with the fuse will limit initial current to within the diodes' current ratings. It should still take only a few seconds to charge up. You said you use a bar-graph voltmeter, that should show you the charging speed.

And I agree about disconnecting the source voltage before firing the SCR. That saves some complications.

Also (while I'm analyzing your circuit), also put a reverse-biased rectifier across the 470uF cap. When the SCR fires, the coil and cap make a tuned circuit. The coil current will increase as the capacitor voltage decreases, and it will not only discharge the cap but continue to pull the current "out of" the cap, charging it negatively. The diode might instead go across the coil.

Do you know the inductance and resistance of the coil? These would be neccesary to calculate the max current and stuff - this last diode might need to be rated at more than 1 amp.

This circuit looks a lot like a coil gun. I dare say it IS a coil gun with the projectile outside the coil instead of inside. I've read a lot on the Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators forum and seen some really good stuff on designing, simulating and optimizing just this sort of thing.
Quantum Singularity
Thu Jul 27 2006, 04:57AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Using a design similar to FastMHz I built a doubler that didnt require extra caps by dividing my cap bank for the gun in half and using them in the doubler circuit. If you have the ability to do this I would consider it since you elimate extra components and charge time by directly driving you cap bank. Definatly look into putting a clamping diode across your coil to protect your scr though. It was mentioned here that a 10kA scr was blown with a smaller cap than yours by not using a clamping diode.

Here is a schematic of my launcher design if you havent already seen it:
Launcher1 Small C1 and C2 comprise my cap bank and are actually made up of 12 caps in series/parallel. R1&2 are current limiting resistors (I forget their exact rating but over 1K and over 50W atleast), R3&4 are bleeders. The variac and step up xfrmr are just there so I can control the output going into the doubler from 0-280ish VAC rms. With the doubler I am getting just under 750V DC on the caps right now. Works well and I have left the power supply connected and on during firing without any problems.

Good luck
IamSmooth
Thu Jul 27 2006, 09:38PM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
Steve, how and why does putting the resistor between the gate and cathode solve the problem?
Steve Conner
Fri Jul 28 2006, 11:02AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Like I said in my previous post: SCRs tend to leak some current between anode and gate. Also, they have stray capacitance there, that can couple crud on the anode back into the gate. The resistor gives a low impedance path to drain these stray currents away before they can trigger the gate.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: