Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

MMC for 24kV: Thoughts on best construction?

Move Thread LAN_403
J. Aaron Holmes
Mon Jul 24 2006, 03:19AM
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
Hi, Terry!

Terry Fritz wrote ...

To get numbers, you have to give numbers...

Peak voltage?
Peak current?
BPS?
Primary frequency?
Primary capacitance?
Primary inductance?

I hear 200:1 and 24kV and 15nF...

Fair enough. My interest is pretty general, though. I only have a spark gap and transformer for the coil at this point, however. The rest is still being imagined! So I don't have all the numbers you're requesting. I'm basically designing for a power level that won't set my house on fire, since my garage ain't that big! I want to build a cap that'll last through a few redesigns, and am deliberately avoiding some specificity smile

Your guesses were correct, though: 200:1 PT; 24kV. Two strings of 20 sound good for 15nF. Definitely affordable. Regarding your question about primary inductance, you reminded me of a question I have about JavaMMC (perhaps best answered by Bart, but...): Why does it ask for "Primary Resistance", and how does one measure that? I assume this includes the spark gap, or else the sample (3 ohms) would involve one heck of a lot of wire in the primary winding!! smile Hmmm... I've heard "3 ohms" passed around a lot as a typical spark gap resistance, so perhaps that's sufficient for most early design work (think I heard this in a SISG thread, actually! smile)

Best Regards,
Aaron, N7OE

Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Mon Jul 24 2006, 08:17AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Here's my $.02

All I run all the time are TDK Ultrafast 2000pF Doorknob Capacitors. They work FANTASTIC. THEY DO NOT GET HOT. THEY DO NOT EVEN GET WARM.

MICA doorknob capacitors DO FAIL miserabily. The mica shorts out badly. DO NOT use old SPRAGUE mica doorknobs in a TC. I have 12x of these older capacitors and they DO NOT and WILL NOT survive pulse application. They are for DECOUPLING only. I have run the old Sprague's up to ~300W RF but they will not handle SGTC duty above that.

There ya go for doorknobs.

Matt
Steve Conner
Mon Jul 24 2006, 09:28AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Like I've said before: there are two kinds of ceramic capacitors: ones meant for bypassing and DC blocking, and ones meant for RF power in resonant circuits. Doorknobs are mostly ceramic so they also come in these two flavours. The RF power ones (surprise) work in TC tank circuits and the DC ones fail. You can usually tell the RF ones because the data specifies a kVAR rating. The DC ones have a DC working voltage.
J. Aaron Holmes
Mon Jul 24 2006, 03:45PM
Kolas wrote ...

I saw the guy in China selling them too, he says, he's the manufacturer of the caps, and I will ask him for a data sheet now.
The reason the door knobs were considered is; they would actually be more cost effective then a bunch of series\parallel caps such as your thinking of.

I'll be interested to hear what he says. Still, 1100pF/50kV at $18 a pop works out to about $250 for a 15nF MMC. 4x40 CDE 942 150nF caps at $2.25 a pop works out to $180 for a *30nF* MMC (that people think can reasonably tolerate my 34kV peaks). So it would seem as though you literally get more "bang" for the buck that way, not the other way around as you suggest.

Though it occurs to me that the doorknob route, by virtue of being far more parallel than series, may take the high currents a bit better, enabling higher breakrates to more than make up for the smaller capacity (though some people have reported that higher breakrates only get you so far). Plus, with only a single "layer" of, e.g., 50kV doorknobs in your MMC, if one of them fails short, you aren't overvolting any of the others as you would be with series strings of caps. I don't know what the "typical" failure mode of such caps would be in a coil, but...

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE
J. Aaron Holmes
Mon Jul 24 2006, 04:15PM
Also, perhaps I could clarify the peak string current calculation: This is just the usual peak primary current calculation divided by the number of MMC strings, yes? I.e.:

Istring = Vpeak * Sqrt(Cpri / Lpri) / #strings

So, imagining a primary of Lpri = 50uH, a 2x20-cap 942 MMC of 15nF, and a Vpeak of 34kV, I get:

Istring = 34000V * Sqrt(.000000015F / .000050H) / 2
Istring = ~290A

...which seems like plenty of headroom.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE

EDY19
Mon Jul 24 2006, 06:27PM
EDY19 Registered Member #105 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:54PM
You might check out this auction, too. It is a 35kv 30nf pulse capacitor- looks OK to me.
Link2
J. Aaron Holmes
Mon Jul 24 2006, 07:07PM
EDY19 wrote ...

You might check out this auction, too. It is a 35kv 30nf pulse capacitor- looks OK to me.
Link2

I blew one of these to pieces about two weeks ago (seem my original post above). General opinion on the TCML seems to be that you have to be gentle with these (keep V down, breakrate low) or they croak. The problem I have with them is, as I have experienced, they're "all or nothing". If one cap blows, that's the whole cap!! suprised

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE
Steve Ward
Mon Jul 24 2006, 07:19PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Doorknob caps can and do work (strontium titanate types), but they only fail *one* time. Maxwells have this same problem. If you use either of these types, be very careful of the voltage reversal rating. Maxwells are often 20% reversal, which means that if you discharge one at its max rating, the negative excursion (due to LC oscillations) should only be -20% of the input voltage. With a tesla coils, you will experience basically 100% voltage reversal, so this means to be safe, you must only charge the capacitor to 50% of its rating. So even 50kV doorknob caps wont last long on a TC with 34kVDC peak charging voltage. You would need at least a 70kV rating on the doorknob caps. The maxwell's will likely need a 50-70kV rating depending on the reversal ratings.

So i say with years of experience with using doorknob caps and PP MMC caps, use the PP caps! You can even run them at their DC rating (even with 100% reversal!) and they last a long time. So for CDE MMCs, DC peak charging voltage can equal DC peak rating of the caps, but for maxwells and doorknobs, double their voltage rating.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: