Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

New Mini VTTC

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
EDY19
Tue Jul 18 2006, 05:33PM Print
EDY19 Registered Member #105 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:54PM
Alright, Now that i have the hang of VTTC's and have my dual 811A coilup and running without problems, I am going to go back to the mini approach. I want to use a power supply of tripled 120VAC for ~490V with a relatively large filter capacitor (~10uf at ~600V or so) so the discharge is very close to CW. However, I am looking for a suitable tube for the project, preferably one with a 6.3V filament since i have a transformer for that (1.2A) smile The secondary should be around the same size as the tube, and I want it to resonate around ~3-4MHz, so the coil can be relatively small. Suggestions on tubes that could be good candidates?
Simon Barsinister
Tue Jul 18 2006, 10:40PM
Simon Barsinister Registered Member #116 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 03:19AM
Use a 6146, it fits your filament transformer, has a 25W plate dissipation and is relatively common.
Rich
EDY19
Wed Jul 19 2006, 03:07AM
Taht looks like a good tube, should work well with tripled 120VAC (490V) as the rating on it is 600-700V- I may even go up to quadrupled, for 660V, which is still under the 700 or 750V ICAS specs in the datasheets. Would I just tie the grid and screen together in this application? If not, what should the bias current or voltage be?
Steve Conner
Wed Jul 19 2006, 09:45AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The 6146 is designed to have its control grid biased negative and drawing next to no current, and have a screen voltage of about 250V. So I think tying the grid and screen of a 6146 together would end up burning the grid out while the screen still didn't get enough for proper working.

I would drive the screen with 300V DC from the second stage of the tripler, maybe with one of those sugar lump power resistors in series (470 ohms or whatever). The extra voltage will help to abuse it more for longer sparks >.<
EDY19
Wed Jul 19 2006, 06:07PM
How exactly would I do this? I was planning on using a quadrupler- where would the feedback coil be conected, the screen or the grid? And which needs to be biased negatively? I am just a little confused wink If i use the quadrupler, the cathode of the 6146 is connected to the negative side, and the plate/primary and caps are connected to the positive, the negative side would be the relative ground, so the feedback would also go through the grid leak network to "negative" ? And mains ground for the secondary, right? (super small coil anyway, mains should be OK-if not, the base could be metal as a counterpoise)
Steve Conner
Wed Jul 19 2006, 10:24PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I was thinking about building one of these a while back since I have some 6146s lying around. This is the circuit I was going to use, adapted for your wimpy 120V mains. It uses self-bias so the tube will overheat terribly if it fails to oscillate. Adding a resistor in the cathode helps with that, instead of connecting it straight to "Ground".

Note mains neutral (ie the white wire in the USA) isn't ground. It's usually at almost the same potential as ground, but it's bad practice to count on that.

If I didn't indicate the value of a component, it's because I don't know what it should be. I'd have found out by experiment when I built the thing, but I never did build it. And I guess I forgot the RF bypass cap too (from the 600V node to the cathode) and other nice things like bleeder resistors on the electrolytics.

1153347875 30 FT13235 6146 Vttc
Marko
Wed Jul 19 2006, 10:38PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Go for it Steve.. VTTC's are definitely missing on your site wink
Maybe you could use remaining tubes for nice linear audio mod (since you love tube amplifiers anyway).

Regarding neutral wire, I always use it as ground ill and treat it like that even if it isn't best practice.
With our poor electrical distribution, it is actually pretty common to have 'neutral' connected to ground cotacts on outlets, while real ground wire simply doesn't exist.

There is some HF noise in range of few volts on it (I was able to light a blue led by hooking it to ''ground'' and connecting big metal object, long wire or somethign on another end).

Tom540
Wed Jul 19 2006, 11:06PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
Hey that reminds me. What wire do you guys use to ground the base of your secondarys? I used the green on mine. Should I be using white instead?
Marko
Wed Jul 19 2006, 11:14PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
'green' is right wire, since it is (is supposed to be) really grounded somewhere within the building.

Neutral wire also works as ground but it represents very high inductance, and voltage excursions develop on it once yourun a TC grounded to it. This causes havoc on devices sharing the mains line.

?green' ground is usually really grounded somewhere in the building, and represents much lower inductance altough it still isn't advisable to ground very big coils trough it.

Biggest TC's should have some metal pipes or plates dug deeply under ground and separated from everything else. Good surogates arelightning rods, water pipes or anything with good earth connection.
Wed Jul 19 2006, 11:56PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
The green is generally used over the white for various reasons (puts noise on the line, if the outlet is backwards you don't kill yourself, it is there, etc) however in most places it doesn't matter as the green/white *should* be bonded to a big ole copper rod into the ground by your house. (well at least in the US, which is the only place I can think of that uses green and white wires for the mains).

I think I have a few old tubes laying around if you are interested... What kind of plate dissipation rating are you looking for?
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: