Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Antilog amplifier

Move Thread LAN_403
Tue Jul 18 2006, 12:49AM Print
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Ok guys, in my internship helping design a terahertz spectrometer my boss wants me to make a circuit that takes the antilog of a signal...

Now back in the good ole days of analog multipliers, everyone ran the signal through a log converter, then added/subtracted, then through an antilog converter to do their math, but now we do things with dsp's and whatnot.

So, I need to way to emulate a icl8048 using parts available today...

From what I have been able to gather, the voltage across the c/e junction of a npn transistor is equivalent to the log of the current across said junction, in theory. So you can put the transistor in the feedback loop of an inverting amplifier to get an antilog amplifier.

But, no one seems to have published any complete antilog designs... I have a nagging feeling that if I use a 2n3904 and lf347 and build this circuit I am not going to get what I want (well the temperature stability seems like it would be horrible at least). I hope to prove myself wrong tomorrow (need to bring in some npn transistors to test out)

I am seriously thinking of building the circuit that is shown in the icl8048 datahseet and hoping for the best...

Am I missing something here? Ideas?
Tom540
Tue Jul 18 2006, 02:44AM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
Good Luck. I don't even know what antilog is confused

[Mod Edit: then use a search engine. Unhelpful posts are rarely appreciated.]
Sulaiman
Tue Jul 18 2006, 10:52AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
With analogue log- and anti-log circuits
the main problem is the dV/dT of the semiconductor junction.
This is why any serious log- or anti-log circuit uses a PAIR of transistors.
Usually a matched-pair in one package.

Look for manufacturers of dual-transistors and you'll find 'how-to' there.
e.g. Analog Devices MAT04
Steve Conner
Tue Jul 18 2006, 10:53AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
It's not true that "No-one has published any designs". The thing you're talking about is what I know as an "Expo converter." See this forum thread: Link2

Though it's from an electronic music viewpoint, it's still the same circuit, and it links to tutorials. The electronic music applications were some of the most demanding in terms of stability, so music circuits should be good. Although, since you're too young to remember analog multipliers, you should be A/D converting, doing the math on a DSP, and D/A converting again. wink

Oh, and putting the trannie in the feedback loop gives an ordinary log amp. We have circuits like that in our products using a precision op-amp, a matched transistor pair, and a special voodoo temperature compensating resistor. For expo, you want the semiconductor junction in the input.
HV Enthusiast
Tue Jul 18 2006, 01:36PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Antilog designs are plentiful on the web. Here are some in this document.

http://www.electronics.dit.ie/staff/ypanarin/Lecture%20Notes/DT021-4/6LogAntiLogAmplifiers.pdf

Search and ye shall find . .

Also, try going to digikey and search for "log" and check out the amplifiers. There are plenty of antilog amplifiers in there. . . some of which are in stock.
Tue Jul 18 2006, 10:53PM
Hmm, a quick look in the digikey catalog found two log amps labeled as 'demod' which I am going to pray means 'antilog' (ad640 and 641) which look like they should work (although they are just a tiny bit pricey at $42/chip)

In case you didn't notice the schematic I referred to in my first post was shamelessly stolen from the lecture you posted, which would bring me back to my first question of will any old transistor (matched pair) work?

Thanks for the suggestion to look in the datasheets for the matched transistor for help, never would have thought to look there tongue

I do some searches on the expo converter later today if all else falls through....

Thanks guys!

Edit:
scratch my first idea, upon closer inspection of the ad640 it isn't what I want (in fact it is a very similar chip that is causing the problem).

What would be stopping me from taking a log amp (like the log101 from ti) and running it into the inverting input of an opamp (replacing the transistor in the schematic I posted in the first post)?

EVR, would you mind pointing out one of the plentiful antilog amps sold by digikey?

Edit2:

Ok, I think I have it (or all of this thinking of logs and op amps has driven me insane).
I wire an op amp as a simple voltage follower. But I put a log amp in the feedback loop, such that the amp will find the correct input voltage of the amp to give the output voltage equal to the voltage that I am putting into the whole mess. So then the voltage at the output of the amp will be the antilog of the input voltage (praying smiley).

sorry about the double post for the schematic, I am leaving soon and don't have time to mess with the uploads forum...

Mod: Fixed

[Edit: Sadly the picture was wider than 400 pixels. I thought about making it one pixel wide just to mess with your head but then I decided to set it to exacly 400 just to be kind and helpful.]
Mon Jul 31 2006, 07:02PM
update:

Well I tried it out...

If I wire it up as shown I get a comparitor with about 3v of histeresis... Then I tried it the other way and got a nice log-of-a-sign-wave generator at about 24khz dead

Do any of you guys know what is going on (or if this circuit it doomed to start with?) confused

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: