All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shaun (34)
Spedy (30)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Voltage doubler,tripler?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Reaching
Mon Jul 17 2006, 05:10PM Print
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
okay i searched the web but, nothing i can use,.
i have some big 1200volt igbts here and wanted to build a huge isstc , .here in germany we have a 230volt line so i need a voltage tripler to get the full power out of these bricks. now i was searching for a good circuit for a voltage doubler or tripler but i only found example shematics nothing prooved and stable. with those voltages and currents i definately dont want to "try something" out . so what do you guys usually use in your drsstcs or sstcs? what type of diodes and caps should i use?

hope someone can help me, never needed a doubler or tripler before confused
Madgyver
Mon Jul 17 2006, 05:50PM
Madgyver Registered Member #177 Joined: Wed Feb 15 2006, 02:16PM
Link2

Aren't these circuits tested well enough? Or is something wrong with them I am overlooking?
Steve Ward
Mon Jul 17 2006, 06:03PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
You only need a doubler for about 650VDC on 1200V IGBTs. The voltage spikes can be large, so you need the headroom. I would not exceed 800VDC unless you have a really good layout, including snubbers, and special low inductance bus caps with a laminated bus layout etc.. The style of layouts that most DRSSTCs use would not be suitable.
Reaching
Mon Jul 17 2006, 08:05PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
mh, okay, everything i wanted was a answer of someone who already build and used a voltage doubler, so he can tell me something about a good capacitor value or current and voltage rating of the diodes,

im so sorry that im not the best in math and cannot calculate everything on my own.

thanks for the help
rolleyes
Steve Ward
Mon Jul 17 2006, 10:18PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
For a large coil, the doubler and the DC bus caps are the same physical caps. Id suggest each cap be at least 350V and 5500uF or bigger probably. The diodes have to be rated for 700VDC, and at least the line current you plan on using (so maybe 20-40A).

The circuit that you want to use is the Greinacher doubler circuit (a) from the link Madgyver provided.
Sulaiman
Tue Jul 18 2006, 10:56AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
If you rectify 230 Vac you get about 320 V dc
A 320 Vdc supply for a CFPR Invertor ('Royer' or zvs) gives about 700 Vrms
that's about 1 kV peak, just nice for your 1200 V IGBTs.
No need for a doubler/tripler etc.
Steve Conner
Tue Jul 18 2006, 11:25AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I used the Greinacher doubler as above to give 600V DC for my OLTC2. I used two 1200uF @ 400V inverter grade electrolytics, and a 92A @ 1200V dual SCR brick, driven by a home-made phase angle controller, in place of the two diodes.

Using SCRs like this allows the voltage to be adjusted without lugging a variac around. But of course plain diodes (with a PIV of at least 800V) and a variac work fine too. I drove the early prototype with a 10A variac and half of a 35A @ 800V bridge rectifier.

Later I added an iron cored choke in series with the AC input, to try and improve the power factor somewhat. The hardest I ever ran it was drawing about 30A RMS @ 240V AC and giving about 7A @ 550V DC out.

I was happy with this arrangement, it never gave any trouble at all. I had a 20A breaker on the incoming line, and if the DC bus got shorted, this always seemed to pop before the SCRs did.

So I'm going to use the exact same circuit for "Odin" except, like Ward says, I won't add any extra capacitors, because the main cap bank (4x 3300uF 420V in series/parallel) can also function as the doubler caps. I'll also not bother with the overcurrent trip that used to shut the SCR gate drive off. wink

If I wanted more voltage, I think I would scrap the rectifier and build a boost PFC like Ward's, rather than a tripler. If I wanted more power, I'd go to a 6 diode bridge running off 400V 3 phase. If I "Really" wanted to go nuts, I'd feed the 3 phase rectifier into the boost converter. But I think I'll have my hands full even with 600V and 4kW.
EDY19
Wed Jul 19 2006, 07:58PM
EDY19 Registered Member #105 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:54PM
How do you go about figuring out the values for the capacitor values? I want to get about 660V (voltage quadrupler) and the current will not be more than 200ma- is there a formula for this?
Steve Conner
Wed Jul 19 2006, 08:09PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The formula I used was "The biggest caps I can get for cheap" wink Your tube circuit is low power, but because it's a quadrupler it needs bigger caps than a doubler would have, to avoid too much volt drop. I'd say 220uF or 470uF would be about right.
Wed Jul 19 2006, 09:33PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
And if you actually want to caclulate it the formula is given near the bottom of the page linked in the second post.

You just need to decide how much voltage drop you are willing to have, then work backwards to caclulate the values of the caps.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: