Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Thyristor

Move Thread LAN_403
carrotSnack
Thu Dec 22 2011, 06:57AM Print
carrotSnack Registered Member #4115 Joined: Fri Sept 30 2011, 01:13PM
Hi all, will this Link2 thyristor be suitable for a switch? My only doubt is that it's referred to as a PCT (Phase Control Thyristor) instead of a SCR. I've used the small 3 pin SCRs before on breadboards but I'm wondering how would I use this?
Thanks for the advice.
PSCG
Thu Dec 22 2011, 12:57PM
PSCG Registered Member #3792 Joined: Sun Mar 27 2011, 06:07PM
Yes, it can be used as a coilgun switch (and it is a big one!).

Make sure that you will not exceed the operating parameters when working on pulse operation. Also, make sure that you have clamped it down correctly (apply the rated pressure between the cathode and anode sides) for the SCR to conduct both electricity and generated heat (if any).
carrotSnack
Fri Dec 23 2011, 12:27PM
Thanks for the info.
Can you tell me more about the pressure I need to apply to it (and why)? Will it just work sitting on a table or will I need to clamp it down for it to operate?
Also will it have 3 leads or connections that operate the same as a small breadboard SCR?
PSCG
Fri Dec 23 2011, 01:31PM
For "puck" SCR's, pressure between the cathode and the anode sides is essential for it to conduct the applied electricity and generated heat (for continuous operation). The silicon die of this type of SCR's is not physically connected to the end terminals. That means without any applied pressure, it cannot conduct. So, clamping is necessary.

For the clamping force, you can take a look in the datasheet (under Thermal and Mechanical Specifications). As documented, mounting force (clamping force) is 4900N - 500Kg.

These SCR's are not operating differently than the TO - 220 packages (or any other type of package). The only differences are the operating parameters (can conduct higher voltages and currents than the smaller SCR's) and the necessity of clamping to work correctly. The top and the bottom sides are the the anode and cathode leads (not necessarily with that order) and the small lead is the gate. Connections are the same as with the small breadboard SCR's.

You can use this link to download the outline dimensions.
carrotSnack
Sat Dec 24 2011, 05:14AM
I'm having trouble finding a puck scr clamp, even the big distributor I'm using Link2 does't seem to have any. I'm not sure how I would determine the pressure given by a general purpose clamp or vice.
Perhaps a stud scr would be better if I can't find a suitable clamp.

EDIT: If I have issues with the hockey puk SCR then I'm looking at this one instead Link2 . One thing is that the current rise rate of the hockey puk is 1000 A/µs while the stud is 300 A/µs, this is only a bottleneck right? Assuming the rise of current is <300 A/µs will there be any difference between the two?
PSCG
Sat Dec 24 2011, 09:40AM
di/dt is lower than the puck SCR, so it would be more difficult to use it if you are planning to make an induction accelerator or can crusher (that's why puck type is popular in these projects).

Finding puck SCR clamps can be difficult. Many are homebrewing them. Take a look at this thread. You may find it useful if you want to make your own clamp.

For pressure determination you can use this PDF.
carrotSnack
Sat Dec 24 2011, 10:42AM
Thank you for the links, I'll have a look if it's worth making a home made clamp or not.
With the di/dt, assuming it was only going to be 100 A/µs then it wouldn't make any difference which one I used right? I'm still leaning towards the puck but I don't think the current will rise any faster than 300 A/µs (although it may for any future experiments).
PSCG
Sat Dec 24 2011, 04:30PM
Yes, with only 100A/uS it won't matter. The only difference is that the puck type will allow much higher di/dt ratio than the stud type.
vk2fro
Sun Jan 22 2012, 02:09PM
vk2fro Registered Member #3930 Joined: Sun Jun 05 2011, 07:27PM
Centrx make clamps for these puck style SCR's. Shoot them an email and ask. They'll get some details off you (like how much clamping force, how big the puck is etc), and will make a nice clamp for you. See my thread (bens foray into...) in this forum t see my puck and clamp. I have the same case style as the vishay one you are looking at, but mines a westcode semiconductor puck :)

My clamp cost $39.95 + postage from memory.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: