Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

How to figure out the best energy distribtuion in a multistage coilgun?

Move Thread LAN_403
Pinkamena
Tue Dec 06 2011, 08:11PM Print
Pinkamena Registered Member #4237 Joined: Tue Nov 29 2011, 02:49PM
Hello!

I'm having a bit of a hard time trying to figure out the optimal distribution of the energy stored in my cap bank. There's 4000 joule that needs to be distributed as efficiently as possible into 4 coils. The projectile will already have some speed as it enters the first coil, from a kicker coil powered by a smaller cap bank.
As I understand it, I'll need to give more and more energy to each coil, since the faster the projectile is moving, the more efficiently I can transfer the electrical energy into kinetic. This makes perfect sense, but I am not sure what the best distribution of the energy will be. Do you guys know of any research done on this that I can read?
Saz43
Fri Dec 09 2011, 09:33PM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
Alrighty, I gave a high-level answer to this in your other thread, but your question is legit and deserves a more detailed answer.

A coilgun is a linear accelerator, that means in theory a sequence of an arbitrary number of coils with an arbitrary energy distribution imparts the same end velocity on the projectile as any other arrangement, including one long coil so long as the same overall external energy is applied. So, in terms of pure math, it doesn't matter.

However, in the wonderful world of magnetodynamics, nothing in reality is so simple. All sorts of dynamic loss factors change the way the projectile interacts with a given coil, distorting this linear behavior. As simple hobbyists with limited time and budget, we account for these factors by including a measure of efficiency in our calculations.

Unfortunately there is no formula or reliable way to predict efficiency, we must take a guess. We improve this guess by looking at what other hobbyists have measured from their designs similar to what we want to build. Once we have some idea of what efficiency we expect from each coil stage in our design, we want to distribute the energy in a way that results in the best overall energy transfer.

After we come up with some good guesses for efficiency for each stage, we can smartly choose our energy distribution. In the course of your research, you will find that the first stage always has the poorest efficiency, and subsequent stages (if properly tuned) will experience higher and higher efficiencies until they reach a plateau and efficiency begins falling again (suckback worsens as projectile speed increases). It follows that you would want to use only a small amount of energy in the first stage, and put more and more energy into later stages. But wait, there is a problem with this! You also discover that the more energy you dump into a single coil, the lower the efficiency is! So putting too much energy into your later stages defeats the purpose of having later stages. Also, as your projectile passes more stages, it speeds up, allowing less time per stage for energy to be transferred, once again limiting how much you may efficiently dump into subsequent stages.

MORAL OF THE STORY, do some research to find what efficiencies you can expect for each sage, and find a balanced energy distribution that puts less energy in early and late stages, and more in the middle where it counts the most. Lastly I must stress the importance of proper design and tuning. After your initial efficiency guess and energy distribution, design each coil carefully to meet the timing and energy requirements (that image file I gave you shows how to do that part). Then, as you build, check and tune each stage to make sure that it's performing close enough to what you predicted.

Good luck! If you need help guessing what efficiencies you may get for a given stage, give me some specifics and I'm happy to help you out.

Pinkamena
Tue Dec 13 2011, 03:32PM
Pinkamena Registered Member #4237 Joined: Tue Nov 29 2011, 02:49PM
Wow, thanks a lot for the reply! Very helpful :)
Only problem I'm having is that there seems to not be a lot of coil guns built in my power range (4 to 5 kJ) that I can read about. But I'll search on!

EDIT: I have changed the design, by the way, there is now 6 coils instead of 4 (plus the kicker coil, 7 in total). But as I understand it, that might not be enough!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: