Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

STP and gas mileage

Move Thread LAN_403
scuba14c
Wed Jul 12 2006, 01:07AM Print
scuba14c Registered Member #236 Joined: Wed Feb 22 2006, 09:59PM
I have a 1997 Chevy blazer. When I got it, it came with 2 bottles of STP additive. I added it over a long distance trip and got 25.9 mpg. With out it, the mileage is 21 mpg. The way it was measured was through an onboard calculator. Is this just a fluke, or does this stuff actually help?
Desmogod
Wed Jul 12 2006, 03:24AM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
I would be dubious of any MPG figures not collected in a scientific manner.
The variables are just way too large.
cbfull
Sat Aug 05 2006, 10:45AM
cbfull Registered Member #187 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:54PM
The first thing that comes to mind is the onboard calculator. What measurements does it use to determine MPG?

I was involved in a very in-depth discussion about improving your MPG in another thread. This one was mostly focused on whether or not adding acetone can damage the fuel system. The other issue was trying to understand how such a small concentration of acetone in your gas can make a measurable difference.

In response to your question, you need to make sure you get your gas from the same station every time because the fuels are more different than you think. So far my biggest boost came from when I chose a different gas station, and assumed that since they are both m8b!L3 gas, it would make no difference. What I immediately found was that I consistently got a tank of gas to make it over 300 miles each time before filling up, and the previous location was only getting my trip counter to about 250ish. That is a VERY significant difference. I am baffled as to why two different locations of the same name would have such different gas quality. It almost makes me suspicious of them.

Can you find the ingredients on the bottle of STP and post them? I think that stuff uses a mixture of toluene, acetone, xylene and some other hydrocarbons. Not sure though.
Sat Aug 05 2006, 08:22PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I would just assume that the stp did its job and cleaned out your engine, increasing your cas mileage...

Any number of maintenance things can do that, replacing the O2 sensors (all 4 of them at $80 a piece dead ) and air filter in my moms car got about 15% gas mileage than before suprised
muciek man
Sun Aug 06 2006, 11:27PM
muciek man Registered Member #163 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 01:55PM
one thing i did to increase millage in my truck was remove the egr valve and put it in an ultasonic parts cleaner with some silvent as replacing it is almost $100 ill i decided to try that first and improved about 3 mpg this is a real pain though as it is part of the vacum system of the car it is easy to puncture the diaphram inside unless your careful but if you can do it it helps

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: