All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

About the Staccato controller in a VTTC

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Philcogrump
Tue Jul 11 2006, 03:26AM Print
Philcogrump Registered Member #212 Joined: Sun Feb 19 2006, 05:42PM
I have been looking at many VTTC designs that uses really high-power tubes (beyond 811As) and pretty much all of them use the staccato controller. I understand that it is useful for pulsing the VTTC at a much lower duty cycle to minimize the stress on tubes.

If I recall correctly, wouldn't increasing the grid feedback capacitor also slow down the duty cycle without needing the staccato controller?

The reason I bring this up is because the staccato is solid-state. I figure if a VTTC is ... a VTTC, it shouldn't have any solid-state in it. Steve Ward's staccato outputs really low bps to about 30bps. I don't know if this is wise, but could the triac be replaced with a mechanical relay and use a low power thyratron to drive the relay. A simple tube multivibrator using a dual-triode like 6J6 could be used to produce the low frequency signal to drive the thyratron.

The only shortcoming I can see in this approach is the relay. I figure that a mechanical relay probably can only switch up to about 10bps maximum without great losses. I don't know how a VTTC looks at 10bps or less. Also, there is the possibility of an arc across the relay contacts, or worse, the relay will weld itself shut.

Any comments?
Steve Ward
Tue Jul 11 2006, 04:04AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Provided you use half-wave input to the tank circuit (and not filtered DC), then the relay would have a good amount of time to open and close. You would have to be careful though, as im not sure how "fast" relay's are. You would have to find something that could close maybe in <1mS. Opening is less of a concern, you basically have a full AC half-cycle (8.33mS or 10mS for 50hz) to open it. But, its possible that relays cant even meet this speed requirement.

Running the coil in grid-blocking mode (aka "sputter mode") can increase the chances of tube arc-over from what i hear. Im not sure what the deal is with that, but this is what im told. Sputter mode usually produces an annoying sounding spark, but perhaps you could use a really big cap there and slow things down a lot.
Steve Conner
Tue Jul 11 2006, 10:02AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
You could just use the multivibrator circuit to pulse the grid bias of the main power tube between a couple of hundred volts negative and zero. That way the power tube acts as its own staccato switch.
HV Enthusiast
Tue Jul 11 2006, 11:24AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Use a triode tube as a switch and drive with some sort of low frequency oscillator. This can then in turn drive the grid.
Philcogrump
Wed Jul 12 2006, 01:23AM
EVR, are you suggesting to use a triode on the end of the grid feedback coil and drive the grid of that triode with the multivibrator output? This way the grid feedback can be turned on/off and therefore make a staccato-like pulse on the power tube?
HV Enthusiast
Wed Jul 12 2006, 03:20AM
Sure why not, but i don't see any reason the controller can't be solid state IMHO. Typically, when any type of equipment is "tube" based, it merely refers to the power component of the device. For example, TWT or magnetron radar transmitters are considered "tube" systems, but still utilize a wide array of solid state components. Even in tube based systems going back 50 years in the 1950's. Same for tube audio amps, tube RF transmitters, etc..., all of which contain a SUBSTANTIAL amount of solid state components.

I would go with the solid state interrupter. It by no means will belittle the title of VTTC.

Even the grand daddy tube audio amplifier of them all, the $350,000 Wavac SH-883 which features a single 833A 150W tube for its main power stage contains a fair amount of solid state components. However, you will still consider that a tube amp, and not a solid state amplifer.
Philcogrump
Wed Jul 12 2006, 03:50AM
I understand your point, EVR. However, I enjoy making devices literally all-tube. This shows how much effort and work was put in just to succeed in building something using simple vacuum tube technology even in areas where solid-state works just fine.

Back to the tube staccato controller for the VTTC...

How would a such triode be oriented in the grid feedback circuit? If the grid needs a negative feedback voltage, then would the cathode of the triode go to the other end of the feedback coil and the plate to ground? If so, then that would be problematic to drive the triode's grid in respect to cathode... unless the tube multivibrator circuit was isolated from the rest so its local ground can be connected to the cathode of the driving triode, and the plate of the triode goes to the high voltage ground.

On the other hand, let say I do not want to use a staccato controller. Instead, I run the VTTC with an undoubled MOT and a power tube that normally could withstand a doubled MOT with a staccato. I assume a such tube could handle the 50% duty cycle at that power level without a problem, right?
Sulaiman
Wed Jul 12 2006, 06:12AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
If you google for "one tube transmitter" you will find a couple of 'keying' techniques
replace the Key with your interruptir relay.
Steve Conner
Wed Jul 12 2006, 09:41AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I agree that Philcogrump should go all-tube for a x5 geek point multiplier. wink

You're right, the switch tube will need its plate grounded and its cathode connected to the power tube grid circuit, since the grid has to be negative to cut it off. So you'll need a negative HT rail as well as a positive one. I've seen plenty worse in tube circuits, though. >_<

Another possibility would be to use a tetrode as the main tube instead of a triode. Bring the screen supply in through a dropping resistor, and when you don't want the coil to fire, suck the screen supply away by switching it to ground with another tube.

Or, key the cathode current of the main tube the same way as the usual staccato circuit does, but use a thyratron instead of a SCR.
HV Enthusiast
Wed Jul 12 2006, 01:52PM
wrote ...

I agree that Philcogrump should go all-tube for a x5 geek point multiplier.

I sure hope you don't plan on using a solid state diode to rectify the input HV then.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: