Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

First Coil Gun

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
cornerit
Wed Oct 12 2011, 04:18PM Print
cornerit Registered Member #4138 Joined: Wed Oct 12 2011, 12:52PM
Hi,

First post here! You all seem like a friendly bunch of people and theres some decent information available here.

I am looking to build my first coil gun.

Parts I have acquired / waiting for delivery are:

'120uf 400v 105c Capacitor Radial 400KXW120M18X30' x 20 From ebay.

500G WINDING WIRE /MAGNET WIRE 1.18mm / 18.5SWG / 17AWG x 1 for coil.

A few disp. camera circuits.

I am not thinking of calculating lengths and much sizes at the moment as this is only my first attempt.

I am going to be charging the caps with the camera cirtuits which I know isn't the best thing but will do for now.

What I have been thinking is would a few basic switches be fine with this? I know they are not efficient but until looking into Coil Guns I had never heard of SCR's / relays.

Also I was wondering what the potentially dangers / pain could be inflicted from the 20 caps linked in par. if it was made contact with skin?

Do medical grade think latex gloves provide insulation to this kind of circuit and prevent a shock just incase?

I have searched around and found a few answers to other questions but hopefully you can give me a good insight.

Thanks
Forty
Wed Oct 12 2011, 10:15PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
Hey there
welcome to 4hv.
those capacitors, wire, and charger sound like a good start.
switches aren't a very good idea, as they tend to weld shut or explode. Using an SCR is very easy and you can get a few free from vishay Link2
I've used this SCR extensively and with great results.
the left pin attaches to your coil (other side of coil connected to -capacitor), the middle pin to your +capacitor, and to the right pin connect a normally open switch (your trigger) to 2 AA batteries in series.

Getting shocked by a capacitor bank from arm to arm is probably not very healthy but i've done it before (400v, 2340uF.) It doesn't hurt so much as just scare the hell out of you as you get 'thrown' back.
The gloves should protect you just fine. It's also a good idea to wire in a discharge switch (a well insulated one) that just shorts the bank through a 1k to 5k power resistor. i've often run in to the problem while testing chargers (w/o a coil connected) of "ok, i've charged up the bank, now what?"

hope that helps, good luck.
cornerit
Wed Oct 12 2011, 10:52PM
Thanks,

That link is most helpful, I will request a couple.

In terms of wiring, I understand the the coil and capacitor part but what about the right pin where does the other end of the trigger / batteries connect?

Why would people talk about linking multiple SCRS in one circuit? What can these SCRS handle ?

The discharge tip is good - I will bare this in mind.

One more question - What would be used in between caps / in the circuit to prevent the charge from going backwards and blowing the caps / causing damage? Would this setup be susceptible to that?

So there wouldn't be any risk other than a huge scare and being thrown?

You've been very helpful already so thank you!
Forty
Thu Oct 13 2011, 03:19AM
I definitely wouldn't say that there is no risk from the shock, but i know that it isn't 100% lethal.

the wiring would go from right pin ->one switch (momentary) terminal, other switch terminal to + side of two AAs in series, - side of the series battery to common ground.

that SCR will take a peak current in excess of 1400A for a 10ms duration. They're a little underrated, and your pulse will likely be shorter than 10ms, so they can probably be used up to a 2kA peak current. I've only killed one of them and that was because i overloaded the gate (the right pin)

multiple SCRs in a coilgun circuit are used either to fire multiple coils at different times, or to increase the overall current switching ability by placing them in parallel.
A diode placed antiparallel to the coil will fix the back emf problem. look up 'flyback diode' for an explanation as to why.
this diode should work (i might get some too actually) Link2
2Spoons
Thu Oct 13 2011, 04:27AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
Forty wrote ...

I definitely wouldn't say that there is no risk from the shock, but i know that it isn't 100% lethal.

A couple of uF charged to a couple of hundred volts can kill. It probably wont, but do you really want to take the chance? Treat everything over 50V as potentially lethal, that way you get to keep on breathing. There are no guarantees around electric shock, because every person is different.
Besides - pain is not nice.
ZakWolf
Thu Oct 13 2011, 06:50PM
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
I Have a cap bank of 450v at 3600uf will one of those SCR's be suffecient ?
cornerit
Fri Oct 14 2011, 12:06AM
Thank you,

Can you point me links of that scr on ebay (as needs to be paypal) or a suitable one,
Also discharge resistors and diodes to prevent caps and charger frying / blowing

Thanks
Forty
Fri Oct 14 2011, 01:08AM
cornerit: I gave a link to get the SCRs and diodes for free through vishay's sample program. The resistor can just be salvaged: look for a big white ceramic brick resistor with a resistance around 1k to 5k.

Sublime: It depends on your coil, since the inductance and resistance of it will determine the peak current. you could always parallel two of them to be sure they'll handle the current (with a resistor on each gate to ensure they trigger at the same time)

2spoons: A couple uF? yes i would take that chance lol. But by no means did i intend to make it sound as though cornerit's bank was safe to get shocked by, i just wanted to say it wasn't 100% lethal. When I'm working with new stuff i always like to know whether or not i'll die the first time i screw up, so i was just passing that along. Just be sure you never touch two parts of your circuit with separate hands (unless absolutely positive that it's all discharged, ie. power off doesn't mean safe)
ZakWolf
Fri Oct 14 2011, 02:44AM
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
thanks
Legit_bacon
Sun Oct 16 2011, 09:00PM
Legit_bacon Registered Member #4034 Joined: Thu Jul 28 2011, 10:41PM
A good safety tip when working with charged caps: ALWAYS use one hand, the last thing you want is to stop your heart (bearing in mind they're prity much a difibulator). And forty, bloody hell 400v at 2340uf has gota damn hurt, worst I've had is 400v at 1000uf, yea does tend to kick! Good luck with your coil gun anyways.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: