Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Thyratron Switched Tesla coil (THYTC)

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
radhoo
Mon Oct 10 2011, 04:01PM Print
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
Even before I got my first Hydrogen Thyratron, I was already anxious to see the pink/purple glow the ionized hydrogen produces. A few weeks later, I got a nice TGI2 400/16 Russian Thyratron ( Link2 ) so I started one of my longest projects with High Voltage.

As you know a thyratron tube can work as a switch. It's a gas filled triode, with a filament, an anode plate and a grid. Gases like xenon, hydrogen or even mercury vapors are all used in various applications. The grid works like a turn on switch, and starts the ionization inside the thyratron. The tube will remain on, if the plate voltage is kept over a given threshold, so unlike a transistor, the thyratron will not turn off, even if the grid is voltage is removed. To turn the thyratron off, the anode voltage must drop close to zero. Then the ionized gas inside needs to revert to the neutral state in a process that is called "recovery", and the time needed to complete this process is called "recovery time". As you can see a thyratron works similar to a thyristor, but the similarities end here:

Unlike its silicon relatives, a thyratron like the one I got, the TGI2 400/16, can handle pulses of 16KV 400A, impressive numbers to say the least. Currently, hydrogen thyratrons are hard to get, and are usually expensive. For the purpose of this project, hydrogen or even deuterium Thyratrons work best, as the tubes that use these gases have a very quick recovery, unlike mercury vapor thyratrons. So when trying to build a Thyratron switched tesla coil, it has to be a hydrogen thyratron at least.

Even so, my hydrogen TGI2 400/16, only allows frequencies of up to 450Hz, very little for getting any air transformer to resonate. As my good friend vasil indicated, it would be wise to use the setup to drive a pulse transformer instead (using ferromagnetic core).

But since many of you wondered of how a Thyratron Switched Tesla coil would look like, I decided to run a test using an Air transformer, and see the results. Building a device like this requires achieving a few steps:

1) A filament transformer (both for main filament and for the hydrogen reservoir), for the TGI2 400/16 that means 6.3V at 10Amps. I used a rewound mot transformer, see it here: Link2
150x150150x150

2) A high voltage supply, delivering 8KV, that is actually a flyback inverter using a Royer oscillator.

3) A Pulse Forming Network, type E, construction details here: Link2
150x150150x150150x150
Here's a video with a PFN test:

4) The TGI2 400/16 : Link2
150x150150x150

5) Pulse generator for grid control, this is actually a variable pulse duration, frequency and amplitude, PCB design and schematics here: Link2
150x150150x150
A video with a pulse generator test, using the neon tube 313CD from Western Electric:

6) An air core transformer with a tesla coil secondary and a few turns of primary, that I had ready from a different project
This device is in fact a relaxation oscillator. I've prepared a long article on this topic here: Link2
In just a few words, the pulse generator provides bursts of 200V on the thyratron grid, that turn the tube on. The capacitors in the pulse forming network discharge via the thyratron in the load. Because of the inductive properties of the PFN, the positive discharge voltage has a tendency to swing negative, turning the thyratron off and ready for the next discharge. The PFN discharge and the Thyratron deionization times give the total recovery time.

Here is a video showing the working Thyratron tube in one of the first tests:

Since I'm among the first to build a device like this (I only saw another single design, I believe it would be nice to have the privilege to name the abbreviation for the Thyratron Switched Tesla coil, a "THYTC" device.

Simplified circuit diagram:
En

The pulse transformer is replaced by an air core transformer in the video above.

Looking forward to your comments.

Tetris
Tue Oct 11 2011, 02:13AM
Tetris Registered Member #4016 Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011, 01:52AM
So this has got to be one of the "simpler" coils, as far as circuitry goes. :P not as spectacular as a DRSSTC, SSTC, or SGTC, (some VTTCs are neat too), but its still nice for a desktop thing. :D awesomeness.
Dr. ISOTOP
Tue Oct 11 2011, 04:07AM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
Holy shizballs, you actually built one of these!
You should see whether it scales up, using those big ceramic thyratrons.
radhoo
Tue Oct 11 2011, 08:51AM
HighVoltageChick wrote ...

So this has got to be one of the "simpler" coils, as far as circuitry goes. :P not as spectacular as a DRSSTC, SSTC, or SGTC, (some VTTCs are neat too), but its still nice for a desktop thing. :D awesomeness.
Well, the video shows only a "first light" test. I'll be changing that to something more spectacular.

bwang wrote ...

Holy shizballs, you actually built one of these!
You should see whether it scales up, using those big ceramic thyratrons.
Well I had to, you know , having a device that uses hydrogen to transport electric charge is rather intriguing. And regarding the applications I also need to see how a pulse transformer goes, since Tesla coils are not that well suited for this oscillator.
Nevertheless I will be trying to push it to its limits soon. Currently I'm feeding it with only 100W of power, as provided by the high voltage supply I'm using. That's too little. I need to get closer to those 16KV 400Amps pulses.
If I do that, I can start thinking of ceramic thyratrons as a next step.

All in one this was rather an exotic experiment to replace a spark gap with a thyratron and to manage to control the thyratron on and off at the best frequency possible. The PFN and the pulse generator are doing an excellent job here.
teravolt
Tue Oct 11 2011, 01:43PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
hi radhoo, I gues you know by now you will need a floating filiment transformer equal to your anode voltage. your pfn's pulse width should be equal or under half of a cycle of your resonant frequency of your secondary. the thyratron is only good for about 1khz and rise times suck so the out put pulse of your pfn will have to be around 1-3us hope you can do it. if you pulsed a resonoant primary with the same frequency as your secondary you may make the first pulse tesla
Proud Mary
Tue Oct 11 2011, 08:23PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
radhoo wrote ...

A filament transformer[/b] (both for main filament and for the hydrogen reservoir), for the TGI2 400/16 that means 6.3V at 10Amps

TGi2 400/16 has an indirectly heated cathode, but no auxiliary reservoir heater.

The English data sheet appears to contain errors. For example,

Steepness of the pulse anode current, A /ms 800

which must surely be A/μs for a hydrogen thyratron.

Good to see some original work! smile

PS I noticed in a technical bulletin from Lianozovo that TGi2 400/16 is no longer manufactured, and is being replaced by the new metal-ceramic thyratron TTI-3-500/16, in order to extend the working life of ageing P-37 radars built between 1980 - 1992.
radhoo
Tue Oct 11 2011, 10:26PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

TGi2 400/16 has an indirectly heated cathode, but no auxiliary reservoir heater.
The picture below shows the hydrogen reservoir (actually containing a metallic hydride, that generates hydrogen when heated. The reaction is reversible, so the hydrogen will re-form the hydride when the tube cools down).
The reservoir has a central filament heater, that is connected to the main filament via an inductor placed at the bottom of the tube. The picture shows it glowing, after a few minutes of use. I might take a few more pics tomorrow, to better illustrate the setup.
Proud Mary
Wed Oct 12 2011, 07:53AM
You're right about that - it's the datasheet circuit symbol that is incomplete, and does not show all internal elements.
radhoo
Wed Oct 12 2011, 06:19PM
I've just built a socket for this tube:

150x150150x150150x150
150x150150x150150x150

It looks better in vertical position, and improves heat dissipation.
Proud Mary
Wed Oct 12 2011, 10:19PM
A further thought on reservoir heaters.

As you know, larger thyratrons often have a separately powered reservoir heater in order to adjust the gas pressure by controlling the heater current. E2V supply switchable resistance boxes with some of their metal-ceramic thyratrons in order to optimise the gas pressure in individual tubes for minimum jitter and anode delay timing drift.

Now with your thyratron, you cannot heat the gas reservoir separately from the cathode heater, but you might be able to supply extra heat to the reservoir by means of laser pulses from outside the glass envelope - which I have never seen done before.

PS My own recent experience with hydrogen thyratrons is in single shot firing at 4.999 kV, so I haven't had the same heat build-up limitations you will have to manage with your application.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: