Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

S.C.A.R. 1000 (single coil assult rifle 1000j)

first  4 5 6 7
Move Thread LAN_403
PSCG
Tue Nov 22 2011, 08:56PM
PSCG Registered Member #3792 Joined: Sun Mar 27 2011, 06:07PM
I meant how are you are switching on your SCR (the word "topology" was unfortunate to describe what i was thinking - sorry), but i can see it now from the schematic you posted.
ben5017
Tue Nov 22 2011, 09:33PM
ben5017 Registered Member #3315 Joined: Thu Oct 14 2010, 04:23PM
Does the schematic look alright?
PSCG
Wed Nov 23 2011, 02:09PM
I think that the polarity of the thyristor (as it is designed in the schematic diagram) is the opposite. Except that, the schematic is correct.
ben5017
Wed Nov 23 2011, 04:39PM
So just flip the scr 180 degrees? Should I use more than 4.2 volt gate trigger?
PSCG
Wed Nov 23 2011, 05:19PM
Only change the thyristor's polarity on your schematic. If you have managed to trigger your SCR successfuly, then you don't need to change something.

For what voltage is the thyristor's gate rated (at what voltage it turns fully on)?

Sorry for causing misunderstaning to you. English is not my native language.....
ben5017
Thu Nov 24 2011, 02:00AM
finally got the first couple shots outta her. everything seems to be working great with only warm temps on the coil and charging circute. only problem is my voltmeter. it says -1 volt while the charger is on.. when i turn the charger off it reads the right voltrage? this is a problem because i have to manualy turn the charger of when disired voltage is reached. there is no automatic shut off.. any thoughts?

pscg: you were right i had the scr the wrong way!

thanks guys this is a big miolestone in this 3 month project and i deff appreciate the help
Inducktion
Mon Nov 28 2011, 04:50PM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
- 1.... doesn't that mean overload?
Southern Borg
Mon Nov 28 2011, 08:33PM
Southern Borg Registered Member #4235 Joined: Mon Nov 28 2011, 10:57AM
Ben, that's a wicked looking gun. Well done mate!

Couple of things it might help to know...

First, you really need to gently charge up the capacitors before using them "flat out". The chinese caps are ALL crap, and they nearly all come out of the cap-making machine without being properly "formed" - this means they're virgins! You need to 'break them in'. Sounds crazy, I know, but trust me - you won't lose as many, and they'll be much more reliable. (Don't worry, I bought the chinese caps too - that's how I know! :()

If you can get your hands on a variable DC power supply, all you do is hook them up (all in parallel is fine), then slowly increase the voltage bit by bit, let it stabilise for a minute or so, then increase it a bit more, until you've reached the limit of the power supply or the caps. This helps to fix the chemical oxide inside them to the metal. It only takes a half hour or so, and it's well worth the effort. It also reduces the ESR, which is like a resistance inside the caps themselves. You'll get bigger bang for your buck. (Out of the muzzle, I mean, not another cap explosion!!!)

You can still do that now, if you have access to a power supply. It might help prevent another explosion.

Second, you REALLY need a better multimeter. If you can send me your details (by private message is best), I'll pack up an old DMM I'm not using any more and post it off to you. It's not a gold-plated Fluke (it's actually a Digitech QM1250 if that helps), but it will check your SCRs and diodes and measure your resistance much more reliably than what you're using now, plus it's rated for high voltage (1000V+). Why? Because someone did the same for me when I was starting out 35 years ago, and I know how it feels to have less than the best tools. Plus - hell, that's a nice design - you've given me a reason to keep on with my own coilgun!

Third, just for the future : get yourself a decent soldering iron. It should have adjustable temperature, be rated at at LEAST 40W, and should feel comfortable in your hand. That will make soldering so much easier, you won't believe it! You can get these from various places - Fry's, Radio Shack, Jaycar (they have US outlets, I believe) or just a local hobbyist store if one's close. You can also try eBay, but they tend to flog real crap. I got a Fenle 859AD for about $200 about 18 months ago off eBay, but I ended up using my own iron with the Fenle controller. You'd be looking at about $120 for a really nice soldering station, but it will repay itself over and over again, trust me!

I noticed your last post, with the deflenegrated cap (I just made up that word ;)). It sounds like either the diode broke (test it with your multimeter - if it's broke, it will read either open circuit or short circuit both ways), or the caps are really dodgy. I'd suggest not charging them up to too high a voltage - keep it at 200-250V for now, until you're sure the other caps are OK. You'll need to clean the other caps if one of them blew - use LOTS of water to wash the liquid off the other caps and the solder joints, or it will eat into them and your wiring. Nasty stuff. Dry everything out, and check to see no other caps are bulging or leaking before you power up again, just to be sure!

I hope this helps. Let me know if you can use the DMM.

Cheers,
Pete
first  4 5 6 7

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: