Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

S.C.A.R. 1000 (single coil assult rifle 1000j)

first  4 5 6 7 
Move Thread LAN_403
Saz43
Fri Nov 18 2011, 03:53PM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
ben5017 wrote ...

saz, one of my friends tryed hookin it up for me he is an EE and couldnt figure it out i took it apart after it wouldnt work... I tried every way to hook it up and fear i broke it somehow. Why would my multimeter read a resistance when the scr is closed? shouldnt it be infinite? If someone would be so kind as to make me a nice simple drawing.. I have limited EE experience so sometime spec drawings just confuse me even more. this is the last obsticle befor the SCAR1000 is ready to fire so any help is greatly needed

When the SCR is closed it should read in the megaohm range, which for practical purposes is infinite. My best guess is that you're not getting enough current into the gate. Wha voltage are you applying, what value of gate resistor are you using, and how much current is going to your gate?
ben5017
Fri Nov 18 2011, 10:01PM
ben5017 Registered Member #3315 Joined: Thu Oct 14 2010, 04:23PM
got my scr fiugured out. thanks saz. I had the polarity on my gate signel wrong.... last up my back emf protection... I am confused on how exactly to put it in anti parrel and where to put it
PSCG
Sat Nov 19 2011, 08:16AM
PSCG Registered Member #3792 Joined: Sun Mar 27 2011, 06:07PM
Take a look at this coilgun schematic:

1321689899 3792 FT125219 Coilgunsimpleschema

Ignore all the components except the coil (L1) and the quench diode (D2). As you can see, the diode is placed antiparallel with the coil to conduct when back EMF is shown up. In normal operation (when the SCR - in the schematic the push button - conducts) the diode is reverse biased and it cannot conduct (or, when the coilgun fires, you will see a BIG explosion, especially with 1000 J).

By the way, what topology do you use to trigger your SCR (just curious)?
ben5017
Sat Nov 19 2011, 11:09PM
thx for the chematic. clears things up nicly

new problem. I charged to 100 volts to test the scr. when i actuivated the scr the voltage in the caps dropped but very slowly, approx 5 secs to reach zero. to test the scr I attached a motor and battery to it. i press the trigger and the motors at full power, so i think the gate is wired correctly. another thing I noticed, when i activate the gate the caps went from zero up the the 4 volt gate signal im using. thoughts?
Saz43
Sun Nov 20 2011, 05:58PM
I'm not positive, but SCRs may require more current to switch higher voltages and bigger loads. Try reducing your gate resistance.
ben5017
Sun Nov 20 2011, 07:17PM
Right now it at 85 ohms ill try a lil lower. Good thing t tore all the wiring out in my frustrating for potentially a 6min sec fix.....
Saz43
Mon Nov 21 2011, 01:06AM
The SCR I used on my coilgun (C185N) is supposed to be triggered with 3V with a max of 150mA. However I found that mine wouldn't trigger fully with any resistor over 1 or 2 ohms. The gate junction itself may have quite a bit of resistance and an external resistor isn't always necessary to limit the current. Use a multimeter to check though, before you go removing or reducing the resistor too much.
ben5017
Mon Nov 21 2011, 03:44AM
Damn that low. I seen one with 220 so I was worried mine was low ha.. hopefully the fix is as simple as that.
PSCG
Mon Nov 21 2011, 02:21PM
PSCG Registered Member #3792 Joined: Sun Mar 27 2011, 06:07PM
The thyristors that i use for my coilgun project (2 x SK8065K) could not be fully turned on until i dropped the external resistance value to 130 Ohms (12 VDC supply). So, 220 Ohms is not such a low resistor value.....
ben5017
Tue Nov 22 2011, 07:26PM
alright guys take a look at the schematic i drew up real quick. is is the diode in the correct spot? and which way should it conduct? the gate scr sigmal look alright?

another thing. when measuting the resistance accros the diode one way is over load, the other is 1.2 Mohms? little confused on that one as i thought it would have a very small resistance... I read somewhere that putting them in series will help with suckback, if so i may put them in series and parallel like in the picture,.. thoughts?

PSCG: what do you mean by topology, i am not familiar with that term.
18 69

1321989997 3315 FT125219 Firing Schematic
first  4 5 6 7 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: