Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

S.C.A.R. 1000 (single coil assult rifle 1000j)

first  4 5 6 7 
Move Thread LAN_403
Marko
Mon Nov 07 2011, 09:37PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hey guys

A ZVS/mazzili driver driving a PC power supply transformer in reverse can achieve continuous output of several hundred watts. I'm not sure why you all still prefer having trouble with all those misdesigned flyback or boost or whatever converters. I hope you can figure out how to build one after all this time!

One trick to use no matter what kind of converter you have is a simple feedback using a comparator with hysteresis. Your converter has to be designed to provide significantly higher voltage than you cap spec so you don't wait for minutes to charge from 380 to 400V if charging to 380 took few seconds.
You can use a voltage doubler (which would also come handy for limiting the current) on the transformer output.

Marko
Saz43
Mon Nov 07 2011, 10:28PM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
ben5017 wrote ...

I am trying to get my scr to work.... I hocked up 2.5 volts to it and still the resistance is 15 M ohms.... what am i doing wrong? link is to the spec sheet

Link2

On page 3, I_GT and V_GT are the values you're interested in.

At room temperature (25C), your SCR may require up to 3.0 volts and 150mA to trigger. Try increasing your voltage, and make sure your gate resistor is letting enough current through. But first, have you wired it up like this (from Barry's site)?:

Link2

ben5017
Tue Nov 08 2011, 02:21AM
ben5017 Registered Member #3315 Joined: Thu Oct 14 2010, 04:23PM
saz, I didnt even notice that stuff on the right. I fugured max means maximun not max to trigger.... I feel like that could be worded much better. can you retry that link?
ben5017
Tue Nov 08 2011, 02:28AM
I jus tryen a one cell lipo at around 4.25 volts. I tryed it and nothing... i tried hookin the batter the other way and the resistance went up 15 M ohms to 35 M ohms? what would cause resistance to go up? when not on wouldnt the scr resistance jus be overload on the meter?
Saz43
Tue Nov 08 2011, 04:24AM
ben5017 wrote ...

I jus tryen a one cell lipo at around 4.25 volts. I tryed it and nothing... i tried hookin the batter the other way and the resistance went up 15 M ohms to 35 M ohms? what would cause resistance to go up? when not on wouldnt the scr resistance jus be overload on the meter?

Sorry bout that, link fixed. Sounds like you might have your SCR hooked up wrong, check it out.

Link2
ben5017
Tue Nov 08 2011, 06:44AM
saz: thx for the help. this is probly a silly question, but my scr has 2 wires out of it and the diagram only has one?. I am tryin to learn as i go along.
Saz43
Tue Nov 08 2011, 04:35PM
ben5017 wrote ...

saz: thx for the help. this is probly a silly question, but my scr has 2 wires out of it and the diagram only has one?. I am tryin to learn as i go along.

I asked the exact same thing on this forum when designing my first SCR coilgun. The red wire is simply another line to the cathode. The white wire is the gate to which you apply the trigger signal.
ben5017
Sat Nov 12 2011, 09:47AM
I Still cannot get my scr to work.. I register like 50 k ohms resistance on my scr ?? shouldnt it be in finite is is broken?
Saz43
Sat Nov 12 2011, 05:25PM
Can you give us a drawing, or a photo of how you have it connected?
ben5017
Wed Nov 16 2011, 09:46PM
saz, one of my friends tryed hookin it up for me he is an EE and couldnt figure it out i took it apart after it wouldnt work... I tried every way to hook it up and fear i broke it somehow. Why would my multimeter read a resistance when the scr is closed? shouldnt it be infinite? If someone would be so kind as to make me a nice simple drawing.. I have limited EE experience so sometime spec drawings just confuse me even more. this is the last obsticle befor the SCAR1000 is ready to fire so any help is greatly needed
first  4 5 6 7 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: