Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

S.C.A.R. 1000 (single coil assult rifle 1000j)

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
PSCG
Wed Oct 05 2011, 07:10AM
PSCG Registered Member #3792 Joined: Sun Mar 27 2011, 06:07PM
Can i discharge the caps while still attached to the charging circute jus makin sure

I've seen in many coilguns that the capacitor charger is always attached to the capacitor bank without any problem. Also, if you have a good back EMF quenching system there should not be any problem.
ben5017
Wed Oct 05 2011, 10:59PM
ben5017 Registered Member #3315 Joined: Thu Oct 14 2010, 04:23PM
Could you give me a little more detail on the back emf quenching system, it would be greatly helpfull
PSCG
Thu Oct 06 2011, 07:47AM
The most usual back EMF protection is a fast diode connected antiparallel with the coil (else known as a flyback diode). Wiki has a perfect page about it. Check it out.

Be sure that the peak current rating of the diode is higher than the back EMF peak current and the voltage rating higher than your capacitor bank voltage (in your case, 450V). Back EMF peak current can be found using Barry's RLC simulator (the best i know). Just throw your data in and the graph will show you the rest.

Damping/quenching also helps minimize the suckback effect (projectile pulled back to the center of the coil after initial acceleration).
ben5017
Fri Oct 07 2011, 05:59PM
Thanks, I will most certainly look into those. any more sugestions for starting to optimize performance now that my scr should be delivered any min now?
Saz43
Fri Oct 07 2011, 09:08PM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
Forgive my unacademic language, but dude, sick coilgun!!! It looks like you've managed to top mine as the coolest looking portable coilgun.

PSCG wrote ...

The most usual back EMF protection is a fast diode connected antiparallel with the coil (else known as a flyback diode). Wiki has a perfect page about it. Check it out.

Be sure that the peak current rating of the diode is higher than the back EMF peak current and the voltage rating higher than your capacitor bank voltage (in your case, 450V). Back EMF peak current can be found using Barry's RLC simulator (the best i know). Just throw your data in and the graph will show you the rest.

Good advice- but I offer some corrections. The quenching diode doesn't need to be a fast type, since coilgun pulses are low frequency (100s of Hz). A standard rectifier will work just fine, and be cheaper (I can verify this, since I used a standard rectifier on my beast).

Also, Barry's simulator assumes an unaugmented RLC step response (no quenching diode or SCR). The result of the simulator is fully valid untill the capacitor voltage crosses zero, then the fact that you have a quenching diode and SCR in the loop changes everything. Instead of the current being driven back into the capacitor as indicated by the simulator (typical RLC ringing behavior), it shorts through the diode, which becomes forward biased as soon as the capacitor voltage crosses zero (not when the current waveform suggested in the simulator crosses zero). Then the current just decays exponentially due to resistance as it circulates through the coil and diode, instead of reversing back and forth in a neat sinusoidal ringing pattern. In simpler terms, the diode begins conducting as soon as cap voltage is zero. For highly underdamped coilguns, this can happen soon after peak current- just check "show capacitor voltage" on the simulator, find where it goes to zero, and this will give you a better idea of what current to expect. Therefore, to be safe, the best reccomended current tolerance of your quenching diode should match the expected peak forward current.

Good luck on your project, I for one and VERY excited to see it finished. Please do post a video that explains how you put it together and of course unleash its fury on some household objects! And of course be safe.

PS If you don't have a quneching diode, that may explain your exploding capacitors... Do you have any residual negative voltage on your capacitors after firing?
PSCG
Sat Oct 08 2011, 08:25AM
The quenching diode doesn't need to be a fast type, since coilgun pulses are low frequency (100s of Hz). A standard rectifier will work just fine....

That means that i was very stupid when i used a fast diode for quenching in my PSCG 410 A coilgun? Because i do not use a standard diode quenching topology.

I'm sorry if my information were not correct. I've been working on reluctance electromagnetic projectile acceleratiors for only 2 years and i'm still learning....

@Ben5017: The projectile loading system is bolt - action or automatic?
Saz43
Sat Oct 08 2011, 05:17PM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
PSCG wrote ...

That means that i was very stupid when i used a fast diode for quenching in my PSCG 410 A coilgun? Because i do not use a standard diode quenching topology.

I'm sorry if my information were not correct. I've been working on reluctance electromagnetic projectile acceleratiors for only 2 years and i'm still learning....

Not at all- a fasts diodes will work just as well. They're more expensive but since diodes are cheap as dirt in the first place, it probably doesn't make much of a difference unless you're buying like 20 at a time. I hope your project turned out well.
ben5017
Mon Oct 10 2011, 11:28PM
where would I buy one of these?
PSCG
Tue Oct 11 2011, 06:42AM
Usually, 99.9% of the parts that i use for coilguns are salvaged from TV's, SMPS's, etc. But if you cannot find a suitable diode in your junk box, Ebay is the second thought. You can buy 5 600V 10A (and if i'm correct, >100A peak current) diodes for 7$. So, it's not a loss.
ben5017
Mon Oct 17 2011, 12:29AM
Would these work ? Link2
 1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: