Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
mileswaldron (59)

Next birthdays
06/04 muze801 (33)
06/05 HVgeek (33)
06/05 jmorlockny (50)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

QCW coil

first  6 7 8 9 
Move Thread LAN_403
Adam Munich
Mon Nov 21 2011, 10:44PM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Well, found me a pipe. How the hell this thing ended up 5 miles off a seasonal road in the middle of nowheresville Link2,-79.115081&hl=en&ll=42.315813,- 79.124823&spn=0.009092,0.01929&sll=42.298192,- 79.115593&sspn=0.009094,0.01929&vpsrc=6&gl=us&t=h& z=16 is beond me, but it's schedule 80 4", perfect for the coil.

1321915436 2893 FT125121 101 0543

And here's a 14 inch piece sanded to 250 grit and cut square on a bandsaw.

1321915259 2893 FT125121 101 0539

Now I need to do some winding. I have 24awg, 25awg, 26awg and 28awg. What do you think would be best if I was going for 350khz?
Dr. Dark Current
Fri Nov 25 2011, 11:24PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Guys, what peak powers are we talking about here? From what I've read, it seems we need around 10-20 kW peak for some 40" QCW sparks, does this sound about right?
Goodchild
Sat Nov 26 2011, 07:24AM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Dr. Kilovolt wrote ...

Guys, what peak powers are we talking about here? From what I've read, it seems we need around 10-20 kW peak for some 40" QCW sparks, does this sound about right?

Peak power for what the tank circuit or wall draw?

The peak power for each burst can be rather high, but draw from the wall can be considerably lower. I can get 40" with 800W if I only run 1 or 2 pps
Dr. Dark Current
Sat Nov 26 2011, 08:55AM
I meant for the bridge supply, what is the peak output power at the end of the burst.
Goodchild
Sat Nov 26 2011, 04:44PM
Well that is the same as the tank current which is usually <100Apk. But this is why you use a large bucket cap on the modulator, so that it can supply those large currents for short periods of time.

All this info is on my QCW page Link2
teravolt
Sat Nov 26 2011, 06:05PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
knowing how much power is being transferred from your energy storage electrolytic to the spark its self is a complex equation. I cant imagine that a Tesla is more than 30% efficient with out mesuring. Goodchild have you ever used a person transformers to mesure the secondary current during a arc.
Steve Conner
Sat Nov 26 2011, 09:29PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
No it's not that hard. To a first approximation, take your DC bus voltage, multiply by 4/pi, divide by the square root of 2, multiply by your peak tank current (as measured by fiddling with the OCD, etc) then divide by root 2 again.

Or hook your digital scope up to the coil, multiply voltage and current together, integrate, divide by burst length.

Either way I get about 50kW burst power for my Mjollnir coil. (In its old configuration. I had to lower it for the QCW conversion to avoid overheating, it is now nearer 20kW.)

And from other measurements I know it is at least 65% efficient, not 30.
Dr. Dark Current
Sat Nov 26 2011, 10:50PM
Thanks, just wanted to try this with a tube so I can design the tank circuit for the desired kW peak output. I think I'll go for some 12-15 kW and see if it's enough.
teravolt
Sun Nov 27 2011, 02:50AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
Hi Steve, is that for a coupling of about .2? the shape of your primary may have less or more transfer of energy depending on its shape and aproximation to the secondary. Steve Wards QCW's primary probly has a coupling of .4 or more. would it be pausible to use a signal generator, scope, and load to figure out the energy transfer for a specific coil?
Goodchild
Sun Nov 27 2011, 08:08AM
I find that a great way to approximate energy transfer is to simulate the coil. The tricky part is the spark loading, I have yet to come up with a decent spark loading model for the QCW. I have used the Terry spark model for DRSSTC in the past with good results, but I remembering Steve Ward saying something about having to modify the model to get accurate results for the QCW.

As for coupling, .4K is about as high as I go with my QCW. I usually run about 0.35k or 0.36k. I find that this coupling is rather important, really important actually to achieve straight sparks. If the coupling is to low you get sparks that look a lot like what you get out of a regular DR with long PW and if to high the system will flash over. Tuning also seems to have a heavy influence on this.
first  6 7 8 9 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: