All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Secondary Coil Terminations

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Terry Fritz
Thu Jul 06 2006, 03:42AM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

Oh!! I am a "double" bad boy now cheesey

Not only do I drill through and terminate my primaries inside, but now I am double posting!! But I think I do have significant "new information to add" since this data has never shown up in Tesla coil stuff before amazed

As to:

Also, are there any effects of having ferrous objects in close proximity to the coil, ie, for the screw connections at the top and bottom? I imagine it might lower the resonant freq. somewhat and can cause some losses by induction

See tonight's testing!!! I never would have thought before that the "center of the primary" was where to put the MOT!!

Link2

The SISG is the "perfect gap" for this stuff since is it totally repeatable... Bwahahahha!!

Wild stuff!!! Someday, we must make a field mapper program for the primary coil.... I guess "below the center" of the primary is like a funnel with lower fieds...

Cheers,

Terry

Wilson
Thu Jul 06 2006, 09:15AM
Wilson Registered Member #78 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:27AM
Thanks for the pics Terry. The stress plots were very interesting indeed.
Seems like the best method for high power coils is to spiral the wire up the former, and into a notch perhaps, to smoothly bend the wire, which would then be attached to a corona ring.

Could someone post a pic of a corona ring please? I need a gauge of how large it should be and how high it should be raised.

Is there any difference between attaching the topload very close to the last turn, or further away? Does mounting it too close promote arcs to the secondary?

Thanks,
Wilson
Steve Conner
Thu Jul 06 2006, 03:40PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I had a look through my tesla photos and found these pics. TBH, I don't know if the corona ring is any use, but I thought it looked neat.

1152200425 30 FT12505 Imgp0800 Corona

1152200425 30 FT12505 Imgp0189 Sec Base

1152200425 30 FT12505 Imgp0190 Sec Top
Terry Fritz
Thu Jul 06 2006, 11:01PM
Hi,

I worked out the numbers for the "big iron" next to the primary thing.

MOT position Rac(Ohm) Lpri (uH) Power Loss (W (14Arms))

No MOT 0.14 3.19 0
MOT in worst position 0.20 3.25 11.76
MOT in expected build position 0.148 3.19 1.57

Link2

On a conventional lossy spark gap coil, even a very close MOT in a bad position would not be noticed. We often see coils with transformers and such under the primary. It might be the case that their added losses are not too great. But the open core MOT will reject eddy and shorted turn currents. That is not the case for say a NST cover.

But I just tried a sheet of copper under the postion I will build the coil to (about 2.5 inches below the secondary) The loss was insignificant. So I thihnk if you space the iron and metal stuff about say 1/2 the primary diameter away you will be fine. Only when you get really close (inches) does it mater. The fields must stay pretty close to the primary coil. MandK could probably calculate such distances too with some creativity.

So bottom line is you can put stuff pretty close, espicially with a spark gap coil.

More...
I put a piece of copper under the primary like this:

Link2

Link2

It hardly made any difference!!! The magnetic fields around the primary must stay very close the the coil!! I don't know if there are any magnetic field mapping programs out there that could show this?

But it appears you can put metal objects really near the primary!!

Cheers,

Terry

Steve Conner
Thu Jul 06 2006, 11:30PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hi Terry

I always assumed that you could put metal objects as near the primary as you liked, as long as they were good RF conductors like copper. That was what gave me the courage to park all the electronics for my DRSSTC (shielded in aluminium boxes) directly under the primary. I put the tank capacitor under there too because I figured it was mostly just a big brick of copper foil with some plastic mixed in. wink

I'd expect that good conducting objects would increase the resonant frequency but not lower the Q significantly, whereas lossy objects like the MOT would do pretty much what you measured.

My conception of things leads me to believe that if you put the MOT in the least favourable place, putting the copper plate on top of it should restore most of the Q that you lost. Did you try that?

On a related note, I once tried shorting the strike rail on my DRSSTC with a big alligator clip so that it formed a shorted turn. The spark output wasn't affected as far as I could see, but after a few seconds the alligator clip melted in a shower of sparks.
Terry Fritz
Fri Jul 07 2006, 12:32AM
Hi Steve,

I tried a copper plate over the MOT in the bad postion (yellow) as compared to just the MOT (white):

Link2

It helped a tiny bit but the loss was still pretty high. But the copper only covered about 1/2 the coil so it was probably not a good low loss shield. So I tried a full sheet about 1.2 inches abouve the coil like this:

Link2

And got this:

Link2

Still fairly lossy. but for a conventional coil that 0.1 ohm of added primary resistance will not matter!! If a coil has say 15 amps of primary RMS current the heat in the copper would be 22.5 watts. If that were all in a lossy aligator clip, it could very easily burn it up.

My little coil's performance goes way down if it is on concrete (~1.5 inch spacing). But it is much wider too. I will try to find a field mapper which will probably explain a lot about the dimensions and sizes.

Cool stuff!!

Cheers,

Terry
HV Enthusiast
Fri Jul 07 2006, 12:40AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
wrote ...

If a coil has say 15 amps of primary RMS current the heat in the copper would be 22.5 watts. If that were all in a lossy aligator clip, it could very easily burn it up.

22 watts seems like quite a bit. I have a full sheet of copper underneath my DRSSTC III (only 1 inch below primary coil), and even after very long run times (20 minutes or more), the copper is not even noticeably warm.

Relatively conductive material, such as copper and aluminum, will not pose much of a problem as far as losses go and actually are the best materials for magnetic shielding for the frequency we usually see in our coils (few hundred kHz) Copper actually becomes superior for shielding above 200kHz for magnetic shielding even over steel.

On the otherhand, magnetically soft metals, such as Mu metal, are very poor at magnetic shielding for Tesla coil frequencies are pose MAJOR losses in the system if placed in the vicinity of the primary coil. (Mu metal should only be used for 60Hz or lower magetic fields)

I did some experiments awhile ago on shielding my control electronics on my DRSSTC III system since the control electronics were literally less than 1 inch from the base of my primary coil. For the hell of it, i put a sheet of Mu metal in there just for fun, and it got so hot it was glowing red and melted my PVC enclosure top! On the other hand, i put a copper sheet, again only about 1 inch lower than the primary, and it solved my noise problem, and at the same time didn't even get warm, even after long runs. The Mu metal glowed Red after about 30 seconds.

Dan

Marko
Fri Jul 07 2006, 12:40AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Omg d00d. And I had an iron plate just about 3cm, under entire primary.

I knew it was bad but now i see how bad really...

Im' reconfiguring that coil for a while now, since this is most probable reason of my low primary current.
HV Enthusiast
Fri Jul 07 2006, 12:45AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Yeah, iron is definitely not the way to go for Tesla coil frequencies.

Soft magnetic materials have a very high initial permeability, while conductive metals such as copper, aluminum, steel, have relatively low initial permeability. But, as you increase in frequency, the permeability of the soft magnetic materials drops off way way faster than the conductive metals and these curves eventually cross one another if you were to plot the permeabilities.
Terry Fritz
Fri Jul 07 2006, 04:42AM
Hi,

For my little SISG coil, I got the Ansoft Maxwell 2D thing going:

Link2
Link2

Here are the flux lines of the coil set up with the MOT under the coil and a fan to the right side:

Link2

Very few flux lines make it up to the top terminal and the aluminum fan seems to be transparent to magnetic flux. The big iron transformer bends the lines around.

We then can look at the B field (in Teslas wink)

Link2

The transformer attracts some of this field and is energized by it slightly.

The plot of field energy is where the "power" is at:

Link2

The power stays "very close" to the primary coil turns. That is why those big metal things in the area of the primary do not affect things much. If we increase the sensitivity, we can see more detail:

Link2

The energy still clings very close to the primary but you can see it touching the secondary now. If we really turn up the magnification, you can see the transformer having a tiny effect:

Link2

Sort of cool!!

22 watts seems like quite a bit. I have a full sheet of copper underneath my DRSSTC III (only 1 inch below primary coil), and even after very long run times (20 minutes or more), the copper is not even noticeably warm.

Two feet of copper surface (front and back) with fan cooling is not going to get warm :o)) But 1 inch seems "too" close to me... But the primary energy loss is probably not a big deal. If it fixes the noise problem that is the main thing there.

Omg d00d. And I had an iron plate just about 3cm, under entire primary.

That might get warm :o)) but I see you are fixing it wink

Cheers,

Terry

1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: