All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Is there anyway to get a hard vacuum using chemicals?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Bored Chemist
Sun Sept 18 2011, 05:31PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
If you can get liquid nitrogen then you just need to ask the supplier if you can borrow their electrical supply.

Seriously, a diesel driven vac pump would do the job easily, quickly and reliably.
Ash Small
Sun Sept 18 2011, 08:37PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Belt drive vacuum pumps are definitely the thing to use if you can drive them.

testtest
Tue Sept 20 2011, 02:28AM
testtest Registered Member #3271 Joined: Mon Oct 04 2010, 02:29AM
If you do not want to use liquid nitrogen... Cant get away from mech pump or water aspiration initially. Then sorption pump then titanium sublimation. maintain with ion pump afterwards for vhvacuum. Otherwise get a cheap turbo off e-pay and be done with it for normal applications.
Bored Chemist
Tue Sept 20 2011, 06:15PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
The OP says "I am doing reasearch in a device I plan to use in places where power is not located."
Do you plan to run the titanium pumps with a blow torch? Perhaps you could couple the turbo pump to a bike dynamo.

BTW, unless you chill it with liquid nitrogen (or something similar, zeolite barely absorbs air so it's not a lot of use for this purpose.
testtest
Thu Sept 22 2011, 02:07AM
testtest Registered Member #3271 Joined: Mon Oct 04 2010, 02:29AM
Bored Chemist wrote ...

The OP says "I am doing reasearch in a device I plan to use in places where power is not located."
Do you plan to run the titanium pumps with a blow torch? Perhaps you could couple the turbo pump to a bike dynamo.

BTW, unless you chill it with liquid nitrogen (or something similar, zeolite barely absorbs air so it's not a lot of use for this purpose.

I think that if you have to cycle from atm to high vacuum at regular intervals with no mechanical pump or electricity it will be difficult. Sorption pumps, zeolite and the rest are fairly limited to get there. On the other hand, once you have reached close to the desired vacuum (perhaps by hand pumping or water aspiration) then it can be maintained a long time with zero to minimal energy input to conteract outgassing with the above mentionned techniques.For high vacuum and if you can initially get to a vacuum level where titanium adsorption or even sublimation at long intervals from a long term battery or even solar to ensure getter pumping in the long term. Need more details on application but could be doable. All depends on the vacuum range you need.
CZA
Wed Nov 02 2011, 06:32PM
CZA Troll, banned on 11/1/2011.
Registered Member #4171 Joined: Sat Oct 29 2011, 03:20PM
Barium used to be used to create better vacuums, they're called barium getters, but I don't know where you could get them. I don't know much about it.
hboy007
Thu Nov 03 2011, 01:45PM
hboy007 Registered Member #1667 Joined: Sat Aug 30 2008, 09:57PM
Interesting question. Does flushing the recipient with a reactive gas (CO2, O2) and burning magnesium turnings inside a chamber connected to the system count? Fine turnings can be ignited with a battery or with a capacitor charged by a hand-cranked generator. If there's a power supply around, a small arc furnace with a magnesium puddle and a tungsten electrode can be constructed. Lithium, sodium, potassium and calcium may be used as well in an oxygen-rich atmosphere.
Perhaps an arc welder can introduce enough heat to form nitrides (works for magnesium).

Could you give us a hint what this is supposed to be used for? Sounds exciting!
Ocean Waves
Thu Nov 03 2011, 09:31PM
Ocean Waves Registered Member #4181 Joined: Thu Nov 03 2011, 02:39PM
what about a mercury gas entrapment column?
its basically a venturi that uses falling mercury to entrap and compress the entrapped gas, and thus venting it to the atmosphere, at the bottom of the mercury pool.

I have never seen one but i have herd of them, they consist of a column about 32 inches high which has a reservoir at the top with an inlet valve, and a collection pool at the bottom, at the top is a venturi pipe that shoots down into column, as the mercury flows around the pipe it sucks and entraps gases from the center pipe.

When the reservoir at the top becomes close to empty the valve is shut, more mercury transfered from the bottom pool to the top reservoir and the process is repeated until the desired vacuum is reached, I believe you could make a model of this using about 3 pounds of mercury, or even gallium as a substitute, but the gallium would need to be heated to body temperature of left in the hot sun en-order to stay liquid. 35 microns might be possible after many cycles if a small chamber is to be evacuated.

If anyone can find a picture or diagram of one I sure would like to see exactly how they are constructed, as my information is vague and possibly inaccurate, as this trick was told to me by a man that used to design nuclear reactors for living I tend to believe its true, but the details are elusive, he had said that it was widely used before common mechanical pumps where invented, and mentioned something about Edison using one for a time to evacuate light bulbs. if that helps any, I never looked into it I just bought a rotary vane pump, in fact you might be better off hooking a rotary vane pump to a exercise bike, you know the kind that has the car alternator it, drive system included just add pump and tighten the belt

good luck, and I recommend mercury its far safer than gallium IMO, though more expensive

BTW why would you need a vacuum in a a place that has no power? Sounds fishy at best, what gives?
Ocean Waves
Thu Nov 03 2011, 09:45PM
Ocean Waves Registered Member #4181 Joined: Thu Nov 03 2011, 02:39PM
damit, no sooner did i say i havent seen one did google turn one up, so here is my foot in my mouth lol, notice this little blurb at teh top says 1/100 of an atmosphere thats about 10 microns......... this could be built cheaply using scraps ad scroungings and bits of glass and plastic tubing, the only expencive part would the the liquid metal

a nice picture Link2
a nice referance including what they are called notice that edison had on in 1879 Link2

google litature on the "sprengel pump" Link2

so fat some of the stuff I have scaned through claims that some of these pumps, are capable of an ultimate vacuum 1/90,000,000 atmosphere, which i find very impressive............

check out page 57 of this book Link2

here is edisons pump love this diagram page 19 Link2
have fun would love to see someone build one of these.........
hboy007
Tue Nov 08 2011, 11:57AM
hboy007 Registered Member #1667 Joined: Sat Aug 30 2008, 09:57PM
Any news? You can't just get us all excited and then walk away, can you?
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: