All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shaun (34)
Spedy (30)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

relativity and stuff

first  2 3 4 5 
Move Thread LAN_403
Bored Chemist
Thu Jul 06 2006, 04:58PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
With the same acceleration he would follow the same trajectory; acceleration is a vector quantity
The same magnitude of acceleration would be an interesting question and I guess that's what you mean.
It's an interesting question to which I don't know the answer but I guess that since the acceleration averages to zero (if he's accelerating South now then in half a revoultion's time he will be accelerating North) the time dilation will also average to zero.
Ben
Thu Jul 06 2006, 06:28PM
Ben Vigilatny
Registered Member #17 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:47PM
Bored Chemist wrote ...

With the same acceleration he would follow the same trajectory; acceleration is a vector quantity
The same magnitude of acceleration would be an interesting question and I guess that's what you mean.
It's an interesting question to which I don't know the answer but I guess that since the acceleration averages to zero (if he's accelerating South now then in half a revoultion's time he will be accelerating North) the time dilation will also average to zero.

The time dilation does not depend on the direction, only the magnitude.
Bored Chemist
Thu Jul 06 2006, 08:06PM
Interesting, does time slow down on a centrifuge?
Could this be a measurable effect for unstable particles decaying in a cyclotron?
Bjørn
Thu Jul 06 2006, 09:28PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
There is a clock postulate that says that the time is unaffected by acceleration and it is supported by particle experiments. That would mean that time is affected by the relative speed change that may be a result of acceleration(s) but not affected by acceleration itself.

As I understand it the clock postulate can't be proved or disproved by special or general relativity.
cbfull
Thu Jul 06 2006, 09:36PM
cbfull Registered Member #187 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:54PM
This is my personal opinion only, so please don't flame me.

I don't believe in the twin paradox. Something tells me that we are trying to interpret reality based on visual observation, which goes completely out the window when you start talking about travelling at the speed of light.

You cannot use visual observation to determine what is really happening. You must treat the matter as though you are blind, otherwise what is observed visually will drastically complicate and confuse the matter. Who cares what things look like at these speeds, what matters is what happens when your eyes are closed. If you want to discuss bizarre visual phenomena, then that is another matter altogether, and should be treated as a visual phenomenon ONLY.

Sorry, bit of a rant.

Chris Russell
Thu Jul 06 2006, 10:14PM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
So what you're really saying is that we can't use direct observation, or "too much mathematics" to understand the universe?
Carbon_Rod
Fri Jul 07 2006, 01:49AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Numerical abstraction aside, mixing Newton and Einstein is not a good idea. You may end up overcomplicating something simple or oversimplifying something complex.

If you were alluding to the popular theoretical loophole that allows time-travel buy using a black hole? Although mathematically plausible it has nothing to do with centrifuges and does not necessarily have to be related to Kerr hole like structures (science fiction fans always like this one.)

Not to mention this thread may disappear into a black hole even if the subject was tactfully approached.
wink

""too much mathematics" to understand the universe?"
smile Bah ha ha ha lol -- That’s the funniest thing I heard today... Descarte Link2 cursed many generations with the notion that a few lines on a page can plot all vector spaces. He was wrong about many things, but made numerous contributions to mathematics.

"Just because you can’t see it does not mean it isn’t there."

Simon
Fri Jul 07 2006, 05:44AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Bored Chemist wrote ...

"Remember that velocity is relative and there is no absolute reference point in space. So how can you say that it is twin 1 who nears the speed of light and not twin 2?"
Because he is the one who gets pushed back in his seat by the rocket's acceleration. The 2 twins undergo different experiences and these different experiences have different outcomes. Where's the paradox?
BC, read my post more carefully and you'll see that that question was rhetorical and I gave it more or less the same answer as you did. I finished it off by saying that since acceleration is significant, special relativity isn't valid.
wrote ...

Given that all motion is relative you can't say which twin stayed still. from that point of view a skeptic might say "How come it's the correct twin that ages; you can't say which one moved?" With no acceleration that would be a true paradox. On the other hand only one of them actually gets in the rocket and gets accelerated- that's why his time "slows down" compared to the other.
As I said, it's an almost true answer, since it takes general relativity to see what happens to the twin who accelerates.

This is closely related to something that confused me before I studied relativity in physics. If motion is relative, how can you ever say whose time slows down in normal situations without acceleration?

Say I travel from near Earth to Jupiter at relativistic speed and Eve is watching me. We're both timing. Who measures the longer time? The key is to think about it in terms of time between events. The first event is being near Earth, the second is being at Jupiter. From my point of view, both happened at the same place (I'm still sitting in my spaceship). For Eve, one was near and one far. That's the difference.

What's the answer? Eve measures the longer time.
Bored Chemist
Fri Jul 07 2006, 05:56AM
"I don't believe in the twin paradox. "
If you are prepared to think of 2 atomic clocks as twins then the"paradox" has been demonstrated.
One clock really does run slow.
WaveRider
Fri Jul 07 2006, 08:58AM
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM
Clocks also run ever-so-slightly faster on the surface of the earth than in space. For example, GPS signals must take this into account, as well as the motion of its satellites, if errors are not to accumulate over time in the timing of its signals.

The resolution of the twin paradox lies indeed in who "feels" the acceleration (i.e. jumps from one inertial frame to another).. See the "adventure of Terence and Stella." Link2
first  2 3 4 5 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: