Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

100V speakers?

Move Thread LAN_403
Penguin7471
Thu Jun 29 2006, 01:36PM Print
Penguin7471 Registered Member #71 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:23AM
I've always heard about 70/100V speakers, and transformers designed to tap off these 70/100V lines..

Excuse my ignorance, but I dont understand. Why not just specify impedence, what is the voltage spec for? I have a 25W horn speaker that has '100V' labelled on it, but no indication of how many ohms it is, how do I wire this up to an amp?
Steve Conner
Thu Jun 29 2006, 02:09PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
If you really want to know the impedance of a 100v line speaker: Ohms=(100v squared)/(power rating in watts). So your speaker is 400 ohms.

The voltage spec is because that's the most convenient way to specify a system that could have dozens of speakers, and more speakers getting added and removed all the time over its life. If you specified by impedance, you'd have to work it out all over again every time you added a speaker, to make sure the amp wasn't getting overloaded. And those (1/Rt)=(1/R1)+(1/R2) etc would get tedious pretty fast with a term for each speaker.

Specifying the line voltage means that you can just keep hooking more speakers in parallel, and as long as the sum of their rated powers doesn't exceed the rated power of the amp driving the whole mess, the amp shouldn't get overloaded.

Your horn speaker is probably 8 ohms inside with a built-in transformer to match it to the line, so I would open it, bypass the transformer and hook it straight to an ordinary stereo amp.

HV Enthusiast
Thu Jun 29 2006, 02:14PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
70/100 systems are typically constant voltage distributed systems.

these are typically connected to an amplifier with a transformer. the primary side of the transformer is high impedance, and the secondary side (which connects to the speakers) is the matching impedance (i.e. 4, 8, 16 ohm) to the speaker.

You would connect the entire system (multiple speakers, impedances, etc...) in a way such as not to exceed the minimum impedance of the amplifier.

for a few speakers, you probably don't need any transformers. The transformers are just needed for large distribution speaker networks where you want to run the primary side at high voltage (relatively) and low current.
Bored Chemist
Sat Jul 01 2006, 11:13AM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
My understanding is that, like mains power distribution, the power losses are smaller if you use a higher voltage. Even an ohm or 2 of cable resistance is a significant loss if you are running an 8 Ohm speaker. The problem get's worse if you are trying to feed a set of speakers in parallel. Building's "tannoy" systems often use this sort of thing. Imagine trying to feed a hundred speakers in parallel, the cable losses would be huge. If you connect the output of the amplifier to a transformer and step it up from a few volts to 100 then you can distribute this quite easilly. Each speaker is then connected to the line through a step down transformer.
Also, by using different tappings on the transformers each speaker can have the volume set differently.
Steve Conner
Sat Jul 01 2006, 12:09PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
My old school had a system like this. There was a speaker in each classroom and an amplifier and mic in the head master's office. One day I was at a flea market with my dad and we found an old power amp with a 100V line output. So on the last day before the summer holidays, me and some friends unplugged the original amp, hooked our own amp up in an empty classroom, connected a mic and some turntables to it, and played requests. We started taking donations for charity, but in the end we made most money through teachers bribing us to shut up. tongue

I think if you tried anything like that nowadays, you'd be zip-tied to your desk and have your Ritalin dosage doubled. wink

Anyway, why is this relevant? I noticed that the 100V system let the wires be much thinner than regular speaker cable, and you could tap into the system at any point, the speakers all being in parallel. My power amp was just a regular solid-state amp with a step-up transformer built into it.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: