Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
mileswaldron (59)

Next birthdays
06/04 muze801 (33)
06/05 HVgeek (33)
06/05 jmorlockny (50)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Charger design

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
jnbrex
Thu Aug 11 2011, 01:11AM Print
jnbrex Registered Member #3950 Joined: Wed Jun 15 2011, 12:45AM
Will this charger work? I am completely new to electronics and this is my first attempt to design a charger. Another question, would I need a charging resistor of some sort? Otherwise the device might draw too much current and blow the diodes and transformer.
1313025053 3950 FT0 Capacitor Bank Charger

Edit: The diodes are 1N5406's, and the transformer is a 1:3.3 ratio. The first capacitor is 400v, 330uF and the second is 330v, 3470uF.
Legit_bacon
Thu Aug 11 2011, 01:48AM
Legit_bacon Registered Member #4034 Joined: Thu Jul 28 2011, 10:41PM
Yes i would use a charging resistor, and/or a fuse. The charging resistor would have to be of a high wattage, though I am unsure of the value. Good luck!
Bjørn
Thu Aug 11 2011, 02:21AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
A lightbulb might be a good choice for a series resistor, since it is cheap and gives visual feedback.

Remember that the end voltage will be the AC voltage multiplied by the square root of two so you will end up at over 500V and ruin your capacitors unless you turn off the charger in time.
rp181
Thu Aug 11 2011, 02:57AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
If you are powering of off mains, you can use a crockroft-walton multiplier:
Link2

With mains input, the out put is something like 450-500v. Use small capacitors for a slower charging time, but its always a good idea to use a series resistor.

When charging a 400v bank (156,000uf), I used 3900uf capacitors and had 12.5 ohms of series resistance.
jnbrex
Thu Aug 11 2011, 03:20AM
Thanks for the feedback! Where on the circuit would the charging resistor be? And what kind of lightbulb would you recommend for a slow charge time of 20-30 seconds? (Long enough to shut of the circuit before voltage caused the caps to explode.)

To rp181, wouldn't the ac current destroy the capacitors? I have access to photo-flash caps which are 330v 120uF, and anything that can be found on an old pc crt monitor. I'm not sure that I understand what is going on in the crockroft-walton multiplier, though I'm sure it works.
Forty
Thu Aug 11 2011, 03:21AM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
you won't want to charge to a voltage any higher than your lowest voltage rating capacitor. Mains straight to a voltage doubler would probably work out just fine (you'll need a protection element like a light bulb, series resistor, or beefy ntc thermistor, or you'll hear the faint click of your circuit breaker when you plug it in)
jnbrex
Thu Aug 11 2011, 04:04AM
I would like to build the circuit a little higher than needed just in case I find a good opportunity to get a nice 450v cap. Is there any way to build a voltage detecting attachment for this circuit, in addition to my earlier questions?
Legit_bacon
Thu Aug 11 2011, 05:02AM
Legit_bacon Registered Member #4034 Joined: Thu Jul 28 2011, 10:41PM
Here is a nice bar graph circuit, just take the last led's output and put it on a relay to switch of the circuit.

1313038955 4034 FT122158 Lm3914 Edit
Killa-X
Thu Aug 11 2011, 05:51AM
Killa-X Registered Member #1643 Joined: Mon Aug 18 2008, 06:10PM
I'm in with rp181 on this one. When it comes to capacitor banks that i plan to use as a "Around the house" not portable, I always use mains doublers/triplers/quads. Capacitor size will debate how fast/slow it charges, and its current draw. This is the same system i did for a school demo with 1KJ, i did a voltage quad for a high-range use charger, and used a voltage divider (with a resistor to set the trigger) to fire a transistor, which kicks a relay on, killing the charge.

My first charger used 330V 80uF camera capacitors, but for my bank, it was too slow. ended up going with 250V 470uF capacitors for my bank. First time, I forgot my charge resistor, and didnt disconnect it, and one of the dioded exploded due to reverse polarity spikes. Probably because I had no charge resistor at all, or anti-parallel diode =)

Good luck!!!
Dr. ISOTOP
Thu Aug 11 2011, 06:35AM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
If you have a big iron 1:3.3 transformer sitting around somewhere, that charger works great, though you should probably add overvoltage shutoff of some sort to prevent your 'lytics from going poof.
Otherwise, a voltage doubler for 120V mains gives you the voltage you need, and doublers aren't hard to make, and only need two diodes, and are lightweight.
Also, if your diodes die, there is a small chance that they will fail in such a way that lets the AC through -> 'lytics going poof.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: