Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

mini railgun - micro plasma rg

Move Thread LAN_403
Plasmaniac
Mon Jun 26 2006, 12:23PM Print
Plasmaniac Registered Member #206 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 03:17PM
I finaly finished my mini railgun project. Here some pics:

Here you can see my capbank. It's 33mF 400V (the caps are from '81 to '83 but I've got them for free cheesey ) and the charger draws more then 10A angry I had huge problems with my old 3x15mm aluminium connections, so I've made some chopper busbars from 15mm cu-pipe yesterday... my ass! 30 times I had to torture my vise and my hands by pressing that tube together... I had to diassamble and repair my vise, but I really think it was worth all the pain.

1151322189 206 FT0 Bank

This is the rg istelf. It is double series augmented and and should stand much more than my crappy 2kJ bank. Maximum projectile height is 5mm, maximum width is 10mm. I stopped using projectiles like the one you see on that pic. Now I use aluminum foil or chopper brushes.

1151322566 206 FT0 Rg

This is my spring injector. It doesn't make the projectile travelling very fast. I just use it because I've blown my puk scr cry

1151322787 206 FT0 Inj

During a plama shot, the out-travelling plasma let the bank discharge between the supporting aluminium plate and the augmentation's wire. I've fixed it with some tape cheesey

1151322982 206 FT0 Failure

Now some shots:

A projectile with cu-brushes. You can see why I've made the chopper busbars angry

1151323204 206 FT0 Plexikupferbrsten

Just some aluminium foil and a piece of perspex in front of it:

1151323269 206 FT0 Alufolie

And this it how it looks like when I try to shoot through the bottom of a can with one of my perspex/aluminium foil projectiles. The Bank was charged to 350V and I also might use more aluminium foil (it vaporised completely). Though, I had to pull VERY hefty to get that projectile out again. As you can see, I've used the can for my 500J can crushing tests before angry

1151323633 206 FT0 Omg

1151323633 206 FT0 Omfg

I think I can still improove my railgun or maybe try other projectiles, whereas I really think aluminium foil and perspex projectiles are the best way to go, especially for my rails... They even blewn away the chopper oxide which I've had between my rails after some chopper brush projectile shots cheesey
Plasmaniac
Tue Jun 27 2006, 08:23AM
My parents are away so I'm torturing the can again:
]aluminium foil + projectile[/file]
just plasma (some aluminium foil)
Heiders
Wed Jun 28 2006, 05:42AM
Heiders Registered Member #268 Joined: Tue Feb 28 2006, 02:44AM
Looks neat! I don't know much about rail guns, but it looks fun and effective. Good stuff!
McFluffin
Wed Jun 28 2006, 05:42AM
McFluffin Registered Member #119 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 06:26AM
Cool! The construction looks very sturdy. For all of the trouble that you had with the bus, it looks pretty good. By chance, have you tested how much the augmentation helps? Can you give a pic of a projectile? I am curious to see how you make them such that the injector can push them and not tear them apart. Are they just a triangle sort of shape? I found that aluminum was nice too. It was building up rather than taking off :) The only problem was that the initial blast was too big. I'd get another SCR to reduce that. They are very reasonably priced for the puck type if it was that type. Its all in the clamps. Do you have a triggering mechanism for it such as a laser?
Plasmaniac
Wed Jun 28 2006, 09:44AM
I've never tested what happens if I shoot without my augmentation because I can't measure the projectile's speed anyway, but I FEMMed it and the results are pretty neat: Around twice the field strengh between my main-rails when I'm using my series augmentation. The augmentaion also works as inductive load (a little...), so current rise is a little "smoother".

You just have to take much aluminium foil cheesey

1151485283 206 FT12140 Rgproj

I'm gonna glue a single layer of aluminium foil on my projectile, so I don't have huge aluminiumoxid clouds in my room anymore...

I've bought a puk scr for my railgun and thomson launcher, but I blew it with my thomson launcher cap. So I had to build an injector, whereas I really think even my small injector saves some of my rails chopper, so the fakt that I've blown my scr somehow's good also angry

I'm going to build a railgun desingned for plasma shots. I was messing around with FEMM for hours and also simulated iron shielding and augmentating magnets. Iron shielding is very critical, because I don't know how much current I will have in my rails. Though, the iron must not saturate. I the iron doesnt saturate, its much better than magnets on your rg. I also don't know how long my rails should be, so I'll just try 22cm, because I still have ~45 cm of 3x10mm chopper and calculate everything using 4kA as current (or should I use an other value?). I'm going to use a flyback to pre-ionize the air between my rails. Maybe I should put some water in there also to increase the thermoelectric aceleration of my projectile.
Plasmaniac
Wed Jul 12 2006, 01:37PM
Ok, I finally tested my micro plasma railgun. No aluminium foil, no wire, just some plasma made from air. The rails are 3x10mm, 5mm space between them, 5mm thick perspex and a trigger electrode that is made from 1mm tungsten is in the railgun's closed back.

Before:

Link2
Link2

After:

Link2
Link2
Link2

Surprisingly, the rails' last few cm are damaged most. I need some thicker perspex and longer rails.

I think I gotta build a nano plasma rg now tongue
Madgyver
Wed Jul 12 2006, 06:02PM
Madgyver Registered Member #177 Joined: Wed Feb 15 2006, 02:16PM
The Problem is, that the holes are to close. The holes inthe rails facing each other weaken the structure, by implying large stress peaks (Spannungspitzen) around them (in between would be the maximum).

Use pieces of bigger width and place the bolts farther apart.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: