Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Damaging SCRs

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
nlbutts
Thu Jul 28 2011, 01:34PM Print
nlbutts Registered Member #4033 Joined: Thu Jul 28 2011, 11:23AM
I built my first coilgun a few weeks ago and it worked great. I used a 100VDC 11,000 uF cap and then experimented with different coil designs. My first firing circuit used a high power (or I thought high power) IGBT. It lasted for one firing. I then bought this SCR on eBay:
Link2

It is the IRK-136-14 part (1400 V reverse breakdown). This SCR should be able to handle a non-repetitive current of 3200 Amps.

It worked great for my 100 VDC gun. But when I got my caps on eBay it came as a set. So I also got two 450V 350uF caps. So I redesigned my gun to use these two caps. I charged my system up to 200 V and it worked great. Then I charged it to 400 V and I thought it worked great. But now the SCR has about 1000 ohms across it. After letting the system set overnight the SCR is now showing 700 KOhms across the anode and cathode (Yes I am measuring using the correct polarity on my multimeter). I didn't try to charge the caps and fire it again, but it looks like the SCR may have been damaged.

My question is why would it fry. Based on simulations in Spice and the tools on Link2, the peak current should have been around 1000-1200 Amps. This SCR should be able to handle periodic currents as high as 3200 Amps.

I've attached a poor schematic of my firing circuit.

Thanks in advance!
1311860027 4033 FT0 Coilgun
Forty
Thu Jul 28 2011, 07:21PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
the 4th page of that datasheet shows 3 distinctly different versions of that model, so which do you have?
there's pretty much no way that those caps could of fried the scr unless it was already broken when you got it, or you fried the gate. what were you using to signal the gate?
nlbutts
Thu Jul 28 2011, 11:17PM
I have the IRKT model. I have my caps connected to pin 1, the coil connected to pin 2. I have a voltage divider from wall power down to 15 VDC. I then switch this voltage through a light switch to pin 4.

I just tried it again and it keeps conducting. Maybe I need to ground pin 4 instead of leaving it floating.

Thanks for the help.
nlbutts
Fri Jul 29 2011, 02:33AM
You mention frying the gate. I guess I didn't put any current limiting resistor before the gate control. I had a 4.7uF cap charged up to ~5 volts. When my switch closes, all of that energy gets dumped into the gate, which may have fried it.

Are these things really that sensitive?
Forty
Fri Jul 29 2011, 02:57AM
well they are called sensitive gate thyristors lol.

from the datasheet it looks like the max gate current is 3A. minimum required to trigger is 2.5v at 150mA.

what happens when you hook it up to the bank and charge it?
nlbutts
Fri Jul 29 2011, 01:07PM
Yeah, I missed that part when I was looking at other devices. When dealing with BJTs and MOSFETS I always put a current limiting resistor on the base/gate. But this thing is the size of a brick, why would one need to handle with kid gloves :(

So it has two SCR in the same package. The one I have been using "looks" like it is high impedence when I measure it with a multi-meter. But when I start charging the caps it starts to conduct and my caps do not charge above ~5 V. If I disconnect the SCR, then I can charge my caps to 450V (I have a bleed resistor that will bleed away any energy in the caps when not in use).

Last night I tried to hook up the second SCR (still not using a current limiting resistor). It behaves a bit strange. It will fire, but it must fire VERY slowly because my coil can barely move the projectile. I don't have a scope so I can't look at the actual waveform. I tried to fire it several times all with the same results.

I ordered another (although not nearly as big and fancy) SCR last night. When that one comes I WILL put a current limiting resistor on the gate before I fire it.
nlbutts
Fri Jul 29 2011, 05:09PM
OK, Now I'm confused. I removed my two 450V 350uF caps and put my old 100V 11,000uF cap and the SCR works great. I did add a 10ohm current limiting resistor and now use a 9V battery to fire it. I fired it several times and it works great. It's like the SCR can't hold back higher voltages.
Forty
Fri Jul 29 2011, 05:40PM
that happened to an scr i fried the gate on. it would only hold back like 70v.
keep using the second scr (that's convenient that you've got two chances in one)
what does your coil look like? (wire diameter, turns, length)
nlbutts
Fri Jul 29 2011, 08:31PM
I've played around with a few different coils. My current coil is 12mm long and around 4 layers thick. I use 22gauge magnetic wire (available at Radio Shack). I should really get some thicker stuff, so if anyone has suggestions, I'm open to it.

I measured the resistance and inductance of the coil yesterday. I got 0.184 ohms and 56uH of inductance. In Spice simulations I get a peak current of 310 amps and a pulse duration of around 14ms at 100V and 11.000uF.

With my second setup at 400V and 700uF I should get a peak current of 768 amps and a pulse duration of 1.5 ms. I'm firing a 4 gram slug. I probably need to improve my coil design. I'm not using any external iron or anything fancy.

Since the second SCR looks like it is working, I'm wondering if at 400V if my pulse is too short and it doesn't accelerate the slug. What do other people aim for for the pulse duration?
Forty
Fri Jul 29 2011, 09:38PM
you can adjust the initial positioning of the projectile to better fit the pulse length. finding the distance mathematically is pretty much hopeless, since there are so many factors to take into account. so just set up a little barrel with measured tick marks on it and adjust the placement until you find the best spot.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: