Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
mileswaldron (59)

Next birthdays
06/04 muze801 (33)
06/05 HVgeek (33)
06/05 jmorlockny (50)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Leaded snap-in capacitors

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
grythumn
Fri Jul 22 2011, 02:44AM Print
grythumn Registered Member #4021 Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011, 10:09PM
Am still in the "gather parts and decide what I want to do" stage, but ran across these on ebay:

Link2

CDE doesn't have datasheets for these that I see, but they have datasheets for the current screw-mounted equivalent. The $/J ratio seems excellent. Practically, they won't work with a bus-bar design, but PCBs (albeit generally with 1 ounce cu) are pretty cheap nowadays. A dual sided board with solid power planes and central power connectors ought to have an average resistance of about half a milliohm.

Anyone worked with a bank of these, or with a capacitor bank with a PCB backplane?

-Bob
klugesmith
Fri Jul 22 2011, 04:59AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Welcome to 4hv.

Were you looking at the CDE PF series datasheet at Link2 ? The snap-in series at Link2 seem very similar, except it stops at 360 V. Maybe an industrial customer special-ordered some 500 V (PF series) parts with snap-in terminals.

I see no problem with connecting many of these together with circuit board stock, as long as you put reasonable engineering limits on your load. Don't plan to short it with a screwdriver, that would be abuse even of a capacitor by itself. I agree that your caps are probably intended for photoflash applications, with discharge times on the order of a millisecond, and that their maximum ESR is probably between 100 and 200 milliohms.
It would be a pretty inefficient design if the load impedance (per cap) isn't much greater than that.
And a waste of copper if the interconnect R per capacitor is much, much less than that.
You probably know the rule of thumb, 1-oz Cu foil has a sheet resistance of 1/2 milliohm per square. Could you use help to figure its impulse current damage threshold, in Amps-squared-seconds per inch of width squared? Or amps * sqrt(seconds) per inch? smile One might even design the foil pattern with fusible links for protection, in the unlikely event of one capacitor failing with an internal short!

I have no firsthand experience with a bank of many aluminum can electrolytics. But analyze PCB-based power distribution networks as part of my job. These days a single IC can take 10s of amps at VCC < 1 volt, and want that power with sub-milliohm impedance from DC to 10s of MHz. At such low impedance levels, high frequency performance is limited at the PCB level by the inductance of via arrays, and spreading inductance in closely spaced power planes.
Forty
Fri Jul 22 2011, 03:26PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
I have a bank made out of 6 snap in caps. I used some strips of copper to make busbars on it. mounted the caps on a thick strip of plastic so the bank couldn't twist or bend. drilled holes in the copper for the cap leads and soldered them in. rather permanent.
If you were going to use all those capacitors in a single bank, then you'd have difficulty either way you did it. You'd need a lot of copper clad board, with careful design of the traces, but it would look really nice when finished. or you could slap some drilled copper bars across them.
grythumn
Mon Jul 25 2011, 04:40PM
Thanks for the replies!

Forty, I had thought about drilled busbars, and I'm glad to hear it is viable. I think for this first bank, I'll stick with the PCB if the preliminary calculations show that it is feasible; I'm much better at assembling PCBs than metal working. :) The idea floating in my head is a dual sided PCB, with the +500V on one side, ground on the other, plated through-holes, and not so much traces as a solid sheet of copper foil with appropriate sized holes to prevent arcing around the PTHs. Multilayer boards often dedicate a few layers to just ground and power, I'm just omitting the signal layers. :) I've been reading a bit, and most of the board houses say that the copper foil on the outermost layers is closer to an ounce and a half after plating, which should help lower the resistance of the PCB.

Klugesmith, I haven't actually laid out a PCB, even a simple one like this, before, so I'd appreciate help with the thermal calculations, and the fusible link idea is great. I'm going to try and sketch out a basic PCB this week in eagle and try some tools to simulate the response of a bank with WAGs on some of the capacitor parameters based upon the PF datasheet. I've mostly worked with digital stuff thus far, micros and FPGAs, where you either have a dev board or the project is low enough power and frequency that you can run it on a protoboard with a regulator and a few bypass caps. :)

-Bob
cduma
Mon Jul 25 2011, 08:27PM
cduma Registered Member #1822 Joined: Fri Nov 21 2008, 08:04PM
I think you would be much better off just using a couple of large caps.
Dr. ISOTOP
Mon Jul 25 2011, 10:07PM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
Those caps are a pretty good price per joule, but if you look hard enough you'll find screw-mount caps for nearly as good of a deal.
grythumn
Mon Jul 25 2011, 10:46PM
cduma: It would simplify things, yes, but aside from the probably mythical Mouser capacitors, every other option I've seen is 3-20 times the cost. 25 caps of these caps, for $63.50 shipped, gives a nominal bank capacity of 3.75 kJ. Granted that doesn't include interconnect costs or increased risk of a few bad caps.

3 500v 10000uf caps would give the same bank capacity for... $314 or so, assuming a discount on shipping, from the same vendor.

Price calculations mostly from digging around on ebay Link2

Am I missing a good source or need to wait for a good deal on ebay?

EDIT: Thanks, bwang. I'll keep an eye out for deals on big screwmount caps while firming up plans on the actual coilgun design and drafting a PCB as a fallback position.

-Bob
Forty
Tue Jul 26 2011, 02:00AM
the junkbox has a nicely priced bank.
i'm still hoping those 'mythical' capacitors i found are real lol. they still haven't responded to my email i sent about them.
grythumn
Tue Jul 26 2011, 06:43AM
Forty wrote ...

the junkbox has a nicely priced bank.
i'm still hoping those 'mythical' capacitors i found are real lol. they still haven't responded to my email i sent about them.

I'm sticking with 'probably mythical' but wish you luck. :) Digikey wants $200+ for the same cap. :) As for the junkbox, aside from a few low uf HV caps from a busted inverter and monitor, I don't have any caps of significant capacity. Lots of sub-25V stuff, not worth messing with.

-Bob
Forty
Tue Jul 26 2011, 07:32AM
Link2

this junkbox. 891J for 35 bucks
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: