Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

questions for new vttc

Move Thread LAN_403
Reaching
Thu Feb 16 2006, 11:15PM Print
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
within the next weeks i want to build my third vttc. the only problem i see is to get useful tubes for this job, a good one is so hard to find. i had a look on a few websites to find a tube. now i want to know if i can use one or two gi15b1 triodes , they are relatively cheap and can handle around 100watts each. its not going to be a large vttc so 200 watts would be more than enough.

heres a datasheet of the tubes i want to use, i can get one for around 4$

Link2

for the transformer, the tubes can withstand 1kV maybe a little more, so i cant use a mot, but thats no problem, im expierienced in winding transformers in the low KV range, so a 1kV Transformer should be easy to build.

what do you think, can it work or is this tube totally unuseable?
HV Enthusiast
Thu Feb 16 2006, 11:34PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
One thing you could do is compare this datasheet to various tubes that are already proven for VTTC use, such as 811A, 810s, 304TLs, etc... and see if the specs come even close to match.

Did you check EBAY for tubes? 304TLs usually go for not too bad of a price.

I'm planning on building another tube coil in the near future as well. I have two original RCA 810 tubes never opened. Should be a beaut!

Steve Ward
Thu Feb 16 2006, 11:53PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Just a comment on the 304TL that Dan mentions. I wouldnt try to buy them, they are all very old and the filaments are very brittle. Most of the 304's that i bought were destroyed in shipping. I did get a couple good ones, but ended up destroying a working one myself when i bumped into the wooden base where the tube was mounted (filament just fell apart).

Go with more recently made tubes. 833s are very popular for VTTCs for a reason. Very rugged tubes and can process lots of power.
Fri Feb 17 2006, 01:19AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I would recommend the 811a, those things will work for coils with input powers up to 1kw, and will take plenty of voltage in... (i have run them at >4kv with no arkovers). They are cheap ($17 buy it now on ebay), robust, and there are a lot of designs based around them...

Also, they work well for small vttc's, the first (or the third depending on how you count it, I just kept changing pieces of one) one I made uses a single 811a and a mot (with full 120v in) with a 2.7" by 5" secondary that gives beautiful streamers about 4" long from an 8" by 8" footprint, and about 12" tall.

Good luck!
Reaching
Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:39AM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
thank you guys for the help. i had a look on ebay and found a 811a for around 19€ from england. i think i´ll buy one.

i have a mot lying around and all the other parts i need as well (resistors, doorknob caps etc)

thank you, that will be a nice project cheesey

hehe, now i can get serious

i got a eimac 4-250A Tube for a good price cheesey seems like i have to go bigger

update

today i wound my filament transformer. cause i want to build the whole thing with tubes, i searched for a high voltage rectifier tube and i found a py88, which i want to use for the levelshifter.

now i have a question about levelshifters. first, i get 2x the peak voltage rating of the mot, right? but the tube is ratet at 4kv and i want it to be reliable, can the tube withstand the voltage or do i have to worry about tube arcovers?

what size should the capacitor in the levelshifter have? i only have a 1yF MO capacitor is this enough?

[Edit: Fixed double post]
Steve Ward
Sun Feb 19 2006, 07:52AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
The 4-250A is a good tube and should handle the 5kV peaks supplied by the level shifter.

As to how much capacitance for the level shifter. That depends on the current draw. With my dual 833A coil i had to use 4-5uF usually. My smaller 304TL coil needed 2-3uF. Im guessing you will want 2 MO caps in parallel at least (1 will work, but it will probably limit your sparks to 10" or so). There is room for experimentation. Basically, the amount of C changes the RF envelope shape to some degree, and this will alter performance.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: