All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Heatsink Mounting Paste Question.

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Sat Jul 16 2011, 02:38PM Print
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I just been doing some Googling to identify some heatsink paste that I aquired with a box of assorted junk.

It would appear that this one, which is silicone free, consists of zinc oxide powder in a synthetic oil, according to the safety data sheet. (most others appear to be zinc oxide in silicone based oil).

Link2

Pure zinc oxide nano-particles are a few $'s per pound:

Link2

yet heatsink compound is several $'s per gram.

Does anyone have any idea why this is and whether mixing zinc oxide powder with oil will work just as well as commercial heatsink compound?

(I think I'm going to have to try this)

EDIT: I imagine an oil with a low vapour pressure and/or high boiling point would be best, something like diffusion pump oil or some of the brake fluids/hydraulic oils, also one that doesn't absorb moisture, but I'm open to suggestions.

Wikipedia says silicon grease or fractions of mineral oil.

Link2
Bored Chemist
Sat Jul 16 2011, 06:53PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
"Does anyone have any idea why this is"
Because they can.
Who wants to risk frying the expensive new CPU by experimenting with a cheap alternative to the thermal paste when you can just buy the "official" stuff?
Ash Small
Sat Jul 16 2011, 09:52PM
Bored Chemist wrote ...

.Who wants to risk frying the expensive new CPU by experimenting with a cheap alternative to the thermal paste when you can just buy the "official" stuff?

You have a valid point there, but when I'm using nearly £10's worth of paste every time I change a £1 2N3055 it's time to try making the stuff myself.

Further reading has informed me that most of the heat is condicted by the oil itself, the 'filler' just improves the heat conductance a bit (and presumably helps keep the oil in place).

Sulaiman
Sun Jul 17 2011, 11:22AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Ash, the purpose of the thermally conductive paste is only to fill the voids between the two metal surfaces, a thick layer is worse than a thin layer. It's not like cement with bricks.

Practice putting a small blob in the center and attach to the heatsink then take off the transistor to see how much is required so that all of the metal is covered with as little as possible 'leaking out' around the edges. Some folks smear the grease all over, some (me) just put a single blob or line to reduce air bubbles being trapped.
Also, due to the viscosity of the paste it's better to tighten the transistor in stages, leaving a little while between tightenings to allow the paste to flow.

The excess that squeezes out is wasted, worse, it becomes a place for any contamination blowing around to stick to, possibly causing an electrical leakage path.

The 'best' interface material is a thin soft metal sheet that deforms under pressure to completely fill any voids with excellent thermal conductivity. Often used with igbt blocks etc.
Not worth it for a 2N3055 though!

I guess, though I don't know, that if the oil is very thin it will creep out across the metal surfaces leaving a dry powder film ... not good.
'dried up' thermal paste definitely causes failures.
Pinky's Brain
Sun Jul 17 2011, 07:29PM
Pinky's Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
You can get phase change pads pretty cheaply for PC CPUs ... you could just cut them up.

They don't really have the best thermal conductivity, but they are almost impossible to mis-apply and have the best long term reliability (minimal thermal pumping).

The large metal block heatsinks we use for switches have very large thermal resistance any way (CPU heatpipe heatsinks can be pretty impressive in this regard) so in the end the slightly higher thermal resistance of the pad isn't a big deal.
Bored Chemist
Sun Jul 17 2011, 09:17PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
Assuming this
Link2
is right then it's the additives in thermal epoxy and grease that do the job.
Ash Small
Sun Jul 17 2011, 10:40PM
Bored Chemist wrote ...

Assuming this
Link2
is right then it's the additives in thermal epoxy and grease that do the job.

I appreciate your input, Chemist, but Wikipedia says this:

"In compounds containing suspended particles, the properties of the fluid may well be the most important. As seen by the thermal conductivity measures above, the conductivity is closer to that of the fluid components rather than the ceramic or metal components"

Link2
Sulaiman
Mon Jul 18 2011, 06:01AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I think of it as the particles mostly filling the voids between the metal surfaces and the oil/grease filling the space between the particles.
Ash Small
Mon Jul 18 2011, 04:25PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

Ash, the purpose of the thermally conductive paste is only to fill the voids between the two metal surfaces, a thick layer is worse than a thin layer. It's not like cement with bricks.

Pinky's Brain wrote ...

You can get phase change pads pretty cheaply for PC CPUs ... you could just cut them up.

When I said I used nearly £10 worth of paste changing a 2N3055 I didn't use it all on the transistor, I also used it between the plates that the heatsink is constructed from, to improve thermal conductivity there.

Link2

Some did get squeezed out though, but I thought it was best to use slightly too much than too little.

I'm building some similar, larger ones for a bridge rectifier, and that will probably use up several syringes full.

I may use what I have left on the stud diodes themselves, and try making some for in between the heatsink plates.

I know a stack of plates isn't ideal at all, but I think with sufficient contact area all the heat will get dissipated.
klugesmith
Mon Jul 18 2011, 05:47PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
I've used zinc oxide sunscreen paste as a thermal conductor, but never measured its properties.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: