Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Simple disposable camera coilgun

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Electroholic
Sun Jun 25 2006, 07:32AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
is it 26 or 24 awg?
too thin for 10 PF caps

it doesn't matter where you put the scr in the loop,
floating or not, performance would be the same.

try clean up the charger board a bit, i assume you still have the trigger cap and transformer on it? they might be the cause

Alfons
Sun Jun 25 2006, 08:46AM
Alfons Registered Member #134 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 10:44PM
Electroholic wrote ...

is it 26 or 24 awg?
too thin for 10 PF caps

It's 0,5mm, so that's about 24 awg.

wrote ...

try clean up the charger board a bit, i assume you still have the trigger cap and transformer on it? they might be the cause

I have already removed the small caps which were soldered to the boards, so that couldn't be the problem.
Alfons
Sun Jun 25 2006, 03:42PM
Ok; I just wound a new coil, still using 0,5mm wire (I don't have any other wire left and I don't have money at the moment so I can't buy thicker wire).

The coil draws 5,66A from a 18VAC source; so the impedance is Z=(18/5,66)=3,18 ohm, right? So if my calculations are correct, the inductance should be L=Z/(2*pi*f)=3,18ohm/(2*pi*50Hz)=10,1mH...

As I expected, there isn't much difference in performance.

So, what wire diameter would you guys use; and what inductance should my coil have if optimally tuned? (Or how do I calculate that?)
1151250164 134 FT11916 Newsetupnoscr

EDIT:
The SCR-issue still isn't sorted out. The problem is the following: I connect the SCR (see circuit some posts above), connect a 9V-source, switch opened. Then I load the caps, when they're loaded I push the SCR switch, but nothing happens. When I disconnect the 9V-source though (switch NOT closed!), the coilgun shoots! I don't understand how this can occur, and I'd like it if someone'd explain that to me.
rupidust
Sun Jun 25 2006, 05:34PM
rupidust Banned
Registered Member #110 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:23AM
Do you truely want the CG to first work at all and secondly work with performance >= 2%?

* Practice using the SCR at a 12v level using LEDs, lamps, or small motors as a load.
* Practice using the SCR as a LOW side switch, SCR cathode at ground level and load at +12v level.
* The SCR should be known and exprienced prior to high energy usage.
* Use 22 or 20 awg mag wire. Use 6 to 10 layers, make the coil length equal to projectile length.
* Bound the coil with more than helping hands. Any coil movement subtracts from projectile forward velocity.
* Make a graph or table of Velocity/Efficiency Vs. Projectile start position using a fixed voltage, coil, and projectile. The crest of this bell curve graph will be your tuned position. If you are not satisfied, change either projectile, voltage, or coil and remake a new graph or table.
* L inductance = Z/(2*pi*F) and Z = (2*pi*F*L). Better to use a Inductance calculator or a meter because this is not a 50HZ AC application.

Alfons
Sun Jun 25 2006, 05:46PM
rupidust wrote ...

Do you truely want the CG to first work at all
Yes; it does even work, only not like I want it to.
rupidust wrote ...

and secondly work with performance >= 2%?
Not necessarily. I'd be pleased with 1% too, but of course 2+% would be great
rupidust wrote ...

* Practice using the SCR at a 12v level using LEDs, lamps, or small motors as a load.
* Practice using the SCR as a LOW side switch, SCR cathode at ground level and load at +12v level.
* The SCR should be known and exprienced prior to high energy usage.
That's a good idea indeed. I don't have any experience with SCR's, but I thought maybe it'd work right away (which it didn't), in which case I'd already be pleased tongue (I know, I know, wrong mentality)

EDIT: I practiced using the SCR at low levels, and I do get it to work. If I connect it to my CG circuit, it still doesn't work, though...

rupidust wrote ...

* Use 22 or 20 awg mag wire. Use 6 to 10 layers, make the coil length equal to projectile length.
* Bound the coil with more than helping hands. Any coil movement subtracts from projectile forward velocity.
* Make a graph or table of Velocity/Efficiency Vs. Projectile start position using a fixed voltage, coil, and projectile. The crest of this bell curve graph will be your tuned position. If you are not satisfied, change either projectile, voltage, or coil and remake a new graph or table.
Ok; I'll try that out and see what results I get.
rupidust wrote ...

* L inductance = 1/(2*pi*F*Z) and Z = 1/(2*pi*F*L) all coefficients in the diviser. Better to use a Inductance calculator or a meter because this is not a 50HZ AC application.
Indeed I know I should do that, but I haven't got access to an LCR meter and I don't have a signal generator or something, so I guess it'll be quite hard to determine the inductance using another method...
 1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: