All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Poor SGTC results Problem

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
EDY19
Fri Jun 23 2006, 03:01AM
EDY19 Registered Member #105 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:54PM
Ahh, 4 bottles are not quite enough. I tried it on wintesla, and for 4000VAC (two MOTs in series) and .5A (~2kW, quite large) the suggested capacitance is .33uf. Also, if you want to use those two transformers, you WILL need a bigger secondary. Even rating the transformers for .25A gives a capacitance value of .165uf, and when each bottle is about 800pf, your total is only .0032uf. So either make a LOT of bottles (412.5 smile ) or make an MMC wink.
Michael W.
Fri Jun 23 2006, 03:11AM
Michael W. Registered Member #50 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:07AM
I've also used a level shifter on the MOT's (to produce about 8KV?) with an MOT to ballast the lot...Mabye I need an MMC but that doesn't solve the resonance problem. If the coils out of sync it could blow the MMC, could it not?
Coronafix
Fri Jun 23 2006, 03:45AM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
I'd suggest making a poly rolled cap, or stacking foil and poly vertically and immersing in mineral oil.
I made a salt water cap and it measures at 600pF, that means for my static gap 15kv60ma NST, I need 30 bottles!
I don't think your 6 will be anywhere near enough when you're using a dual MOT.
Michael W.
Fri Jun 23 2006, 04:15AM
Well I'm sure as not ready to take on the daunting task of making 30 to 412 bottle Caps. I'm thinking more of a stacked cap...how about plastic plates and foil somthing along the line of this....How many plates do you think I'd need? (that is, if it works.. angry )
1151036157 50 FT11829 Platestackedcap
Desmogod
Fri Jun 23 2006, 04:37AM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
Link2
Coronafix
Fri Jun 23 2006, 07:00AM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
Here is another good one.

Link2
EDY19
Fri Jun 23 2006, 01:03PM
EDY19 Registered Member #105 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:54PM
"I need an MMC but that doesn't solve the resonance problem. If the coils out of sync it could blow the MMC, could it not?"

A MMC would solve the resonance problem. I'm guessing you have come nowhere near the correct tuning for this coil. Since MOTs have a High current, to get even close to 1kW from the coil, you will need bigger capacitors, and the easiest and most efficient way is with a MMC. Just think about it- if the capacitors are two small, and the the MOT can supply a high current, the capacitors are holding nowhere near the charge that the MOT could supply. And, it wouldn't set you back too far price wise. They make .15uf 2kV capacitors that would be about perfect, and you could definatly make longer sparks! I would suggest putting 4 caps in series, and then 4 of these in parallel to get ~.33uf at about 8kV. This would do a lot of good, and if you only wanted one MOT (still large enough for BIG sparks) you couls just use 2 parallel strings, and your output would be greatly increased!
Michael W.
Fri Jun 23 2006, 04:34PM
42L's .15uf 2KV, 4 Bucks a pop, thats 4 strings of 4, 16, is $64 plus shipping, and I'm canadian... angry Anywhere cheaper or anyone have any they want to sell off?
Marko
Fri Jun 23 2006, 06:02PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I think you need to improve much more things over there before making monster 150nF 8kV capacitor for such small coil.

Even TDU's 18 inch coil uses 'just' 90nF at about same voltage.

Powering it with two MOT's is just silly for 5cm wide secondary.
You'l be just about enough with small 100W mazzili driver (by freau's formula this would be a 17 inch spark, I guess half of it would be pretty good for this coil).

Bottle caps are fine, especially because they allow you high-ish charging voltage without blowing up (enough bang energy with small capacitance).

Current 4-5nF is absolutely fine, if you really feel like such you can add some more bottles there.

Some more apsolutely necessary things are simple multi-static gap, for this power level few closely-placed metal nuts can be a good example, then a good ground (mains ground or water pipe), and invetable, topload.
Topload can be a foil covered sphere or toroid, two welded round bowls, or anything without sharp edges you can find.

This is especially important for such a small coil with hign no-topload resonant frequency.

Use a fuse clip to tune the coil.

All aproximate calculations you can do using wintesla, TCCAD, or any program you like. You have entire primary to tap.

Good luck, and don't get dissapointed or nervous just at the beggining.

Michael W.
Fri Jun 23 2006, 06:08PM
I'll use my flyback driver (produces up to 3 inch arcs) to power my coil, I'll make a new spark gap, and I'm going to try and tune the LC Circuit with an O-scope/Sig. Gen. this weekend...I have a top load suitable but I thought since with out a topload the max arc was about an inch, what would a larger topload do...I'll try it
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: