Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Bens foray into building a cap bank with uzzors charger

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
vk2fro
Thu Jun 23 2011, 06:13PM
vk2fro Registered Member #3930 Joined: Sun Jun 05 2011, 07:27PM
Version 2.0 - heavier traces, board slightly reorganised, and parts labelled properly (2 ic's and a transistor).

Comments? :)

Once you all think its looking good, I'll head over to the "hackers space" (a workshop a few suburbs over) and knock up a board :)

edit: BUM! forgot to rename the fast diodes - they ARENT 1N4004's - theyre FR307 1000V diodes. The two zener's are 5 watt jobs. Can you tell I overspec my parts?? ;)
Forty
Thu Jun 23 2011, 07:00PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
as long as you've checked over the circuit a few times to make sure everything is correct, i'd say go for it.
vk2fro
Fri Jun 24 2011, 10:38PM
Heres version 2.2; now I have all my parts. The solder pads for Vin and the transformer fit the PCB headers perfectly on the 1:1 printout, along with all my diodes once I changed them to the correct device size.

Note most of the 45° angle turns have now gone, and the board has even SHRUNK by 1Cm :) The very busy section up near the comparator has also been made less busy, which should make for less chance of getting a solder bridge / bum board from the fab place.

I have created gerbers and have studied the circuit to make sure nothing has been miswired. I'm going to get itstore to make the boards ($25 bux for 10 is cheepo!)

Now just have to A) wait for bank balance to have money in it, and B) wait for my darn caps and IRF540's to turn up (bloody ebay!)

Cheers
Ben

Forty
Sat Jun 25 2011, 12:15AM
get a few more posts (site rules) and you can likely sell some of your extra boards on here to make some money back.
vk2fro
Sat Jun 25 2011, 11:26AM
Good thinking - I can probably sell them as kits, with the PCB, major components, and leave the variable components (voltage divider resistors, resonance cap) up to the builder (as these components vary).

The majority of people will only want one voltage, but thats easily settled, omit one voltage divider resistor and replace the switch with a wire link.

I have just added metering - the cheap LED 200V DC meters on ebay will do the trick- even stuffed an LM7805 on board to power it :) By changing the sense resistor on the board, a variety of voltages can be obtained from the Meter In pad on the pcb. Right now I have a 0-200v meter on the way, so I set the resistor to divide input voltage by 10. This will give a reading of 90 volts at 900volts across the bank. First thing I will do is snip the anode lead of the decimal point on the meter ;) They have a ground that is common with the input (measured) voltage, so only need 3 connections.

I considered powering the meter from the cap bank charge, but at 900 volts, the zener would be small, but the pass resistor would be a huge 50watt job. It would have been nice though, the meter would display voltage in the bank, even with the power off, as such, doubling as a "bank has charge" indicator.

This thing is probably going to go through a few revisions before its time to have the boards made - major changes to 3.0 include fixing the mosfets vertically, addition of metering output. Also pad spacing between I/O's allows for the use of the nice PCB mount screw terminal connectors jaycar sells (they appear to fit nice on the 1:1 printout anyway :P)

Heres version 3.0.
Forty
Sat Jun 25 2011, 05:21PM
you can get those terminal connectors on bgmicro for a lot cheaper. although i don't know about shipping costs to australia.
vk2fro
Sat Jun 25 2011, 06:10PM
hehe too late - already got em - and yeah shipping - probably get them 3 weeks later - got mine from jaycar in one day. :)
vk2fro
Mon Jun 27 2011, 06:32AM
Drat - cant add an attachment to my previous post or I would have edited it instead of double posting.

Look what turned up today

1309155963 3930 FT117994 Img 20110627 162014

Sitting on top in the forground is a PC psu cap - these things are huge. Each is rated at 2.4mF 450b (525 surge), which nets me a bank of 24mF at 450V or 12mF at 900V :)

I will start by adding a rotary switch to my charger, and setting it up for 80,160,320 and 450, and reform these before banking them up - will do them one at a time. For lower voltages (12 v) I have 4 7ah gel batteries. I'll just tack one on after the other in series to get to ~ 50 v

of course when I can afford it I'll be buying another 30 caps, along with an ESR meter so I can check them all, and arrange them in two parrallel strings of 20, for a whopping total of 10kJ ish :)
vk2fro
Thu Jul 14 2011, 05:21AM
Since I cant attach another pic to my previous post, I apologise for triple posting.

Heres my final revision of the cap charger board in the flesh!

1310620610 3930 FT117994 Charger

Observant viewers will notice the fast diodes are missing. They're too big for the boards holes. Since I dont have a 0.8mm mini drill, I will need to wait until I get one to finish adding the diodes.

As I STILL havent found a busted TV to rip the flyback out of, testing cant go ahead at the moment anyway.

If all works well, I might offer the other 7 boards (I'm keeping 3) as a kit with all components included in the buy sell section, provided my post count is high enough as mentioned earlier. You just need to supply the flyback transformer and a 12V power source.
Forty
Fri Jul 15 2011, 01:17AM
looks very nice.
I can't believe you could design and make that, but don't have an extra flyback transformer, lol.
I don't think it technically has to be a flyback core, any ferrite core should do, given that you can fit your windings in it.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: