Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Working on a coilgun, have questions...

Move Thread LAN_403
Turkey9
Mon Jun 13 2011, 12:33AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
If you're going to use that brick, you won't have to pay as much attention to the coil. Just make it so that the pulse is very long. Since you can turn off the IGBT, you don't have to properly tune the coil, in fact you will get better efficiency if you use a huge amount of capacitance that doesn't drain much when you fire. Look up half bridge coil guns for more info or just ask specific questions in this thread.
Inducktion
Mon Jun 13 2011, 01:37AM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
Turkey9 wrote ...

If you're going to use that brick, you won't have to pay as much attention to the coil. Just make it so that the pulse is very long. Since you can turn off the IGBT, you don't have to properly tune the coil, in fact you will get better efficiency if you use a huge amount of capacitance that doesn't drain much when you fire. Look up half bridge coil guns for more info or just ask specific questions in this thread.

Well, it's only one IGBT, so... I can't do half bridges with it. I also got some brick diodes for the anti-parallel thing now. Link2
Powerex ones.
Turkey9
Mon Jun 13 2011, 06:57AM
Nice. It doesn't have to be half bridge, but the theory is the same. Having a switch that can be turned off before the current is done flowing opens up a lot of doors for experimentation and huge increases in efficiency. Having a square voltage waveform on your coil will impart more force on your projectile than a sinusoidal one usually found in coil guns. Just play around with it, you'll be able to do a lot.
Inducktion
Mon Jun 13 2011, 11:19AM
So, when I look to switch off the IGBT, I don't want the pulse to look sinusoidal, but like a square wave? Do I just switch it off before the pulse has a chance to go negative, or do I need to switch it on and then off really quickly, to prevent much voltage change at all? (i.e. a large capacitance, or large coil?)
Turkey9
Tue Jun 14 2011, 12:21AM
If you have a large enough capacitance, you will end up switching off before there is much voltage change.

This is what I would do:
Get enough capacitance to insure that the projectile will reach the center of the coil long before the voltage goes negative. Time the signal to the IGBT so that it turns on and then off right as the projectile reaches the center of the coil. The slower the voltage changes when the IGBT is on (the larger the cap bank and/or coil) the greater the work the coil will do on the projectile. This would mean the greatest speed without wasting energy in the oscillations of a normal coilgun.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, just ask for clarification!
Inducktion
Tue Jun 14 2011, 02:31AM
Turkey9 wrote ...

If you have a large enough capacitance, you will end up switching off before there is much voltage change.

This is what I would do:
Get enough capacitance to insure that the projectile will reach the center of the coil long before the voltage goes negative. Time the signal to the IGBT so that it turns on and then off right as the projectile reaches the center of the coil. The slower the voltage changes when the IGBT is on (the larger the cap bank and/or coil) the greater the work the coil will do on the projectile. This would mean the greatest speed without wasting energy in the oscillations of a normal coilgun.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, just ask for clarification!

Er... So, basically instead of having other parts of the voltage "pull" the projectile back into the barrel, you just switch the IGBT off before it has a chance to go negative basically? And, I have 6600 uF of capacitance; That's as big as I can get at the moment.
Forty
Tue Jun 14 2011, 03:19AM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
well with the typical coilgun "ringing down" through the coil, the projectile isn't exactly in the middle of the coil when the current peaks, because the current still has to drop down to zero before it leaves or else it will experience suckback. with the igbt switching off the signal when it peaks, current from the caps no longer flows into it, so the current in the coil drops more quickly down to zero (not instantly though)
Turkey9
Sun Jun 19 2011, 02:22AM
Yeah Inducktion, you have it right.

6600 uF is a good amount to start playing with. I'd just start experimenting and see what works best for you. Just make sure that you have a freewheeling diode in the igbt or add one, because the reverse voltage spike will still occur.

EDIT: oops forgot a zero on 6600
Inducktion
Sun Jun 19 2011, 03:30AM
Turkey9 wrote ...

Yeah Inducktion, you have it right.

660 uF is a good amount to start playing with. I'd just start experimenting and see what works best for you. Just make sure that you have a freewheeling diode in the igbt or add one, because the reverse voltage spike will still occur.
6,600 uF, not 660 uF.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: