Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Working on a coilgun, have questions...

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Inducktion
Wed Jun 08 2011, 12:54PM Print
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
Hey all. I have 5 350 uF (I measured most a bit above spec, and they're pretty old!) 450 vDC caps from Cornell Dubilier. All together, (with the above spec increase) I estimate it to be around 2000 uF total. As far as voltage ratings go, I should charge them around 420-430, instead of right at the spec, for a margin of error correct?

And, I have 614 fT of 14 gauge wire. It's not enameled, but it's PVC insulation. From what I understand, it's not ideal, but it'll work.

I don't know where to even begin in all honesty. How do I connect the capacitors together? They have screw terminals. ... I do have aluminum bars I could *try* to drill holes into, but the two screws on the caps are kinda close together to do that.

I looked around on Barry's website and his RLC simulator, but, where does one begin on this? I was looking at around 1 mH of inductance, but I don't know how wide or short or whatever to do.

As far as the actual switch goes, I have 3 Link2 of those SCR's in parallel.. I've heard mixed signals about paralleling SCR's for coilguns, some say it's dangerous, some say it's alright to do since the on time is so short. As for gate signalling, I'm just going to use a 9 v battery, resistor, and a push button switch to turn it on.

I also have an isotop diode I could use to prevent the negative voltage spike from killing my capacitors... Link2

Should I parallel the two diodes in the package to increase the peak current ability? Or is the measurement in the datasheet with the two already paralleled?

Looking at the simulation, I should be in the ballpark of 500-600 amps or so of peak current. No paralleling, and my SCR's and the diodes would most likely be toast from the excessive current.

For external iron, I have a few iron core transformers I can tear apart to get the iron. Do I just place it on the barrel of the coilgun? The barrel I think I'm going to be using PVC piping (I think it's 3/4 inch wide? I'm at school typing this so I can't give an exact measurement atm)

For the projectile, will any iron object do? I read that recent thread about the saturation of iron projectiles... That got me wondering, maybe we ought to try something different that DOESN'T saturate. Is there any type of metal or material that will still become magnetized under such force? Aluminum/graphite is dimagnetic, wouldn't that mean it would work too? Or copper, since a magnetic field would be set up due to the current induced in it?

For the charging circuit, I'm probably going to wind my own transformer, and use a ZVS device (with a switch and multimeter) to be able to shut it off when the voltage gets too high.

I appreciate the help!
Forty
Wed Jun 08 2011, 06:08PM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
- those caps should be fine for a coilgun. yes, charge a little below the max voltage.

- try to find some magnet wire (even if it's a lot thinner, but no smaller than ~22 awg)
thick insulation will add a lot of dead space in the coil as well as poor coupling to the projectile.
you'll only need ~40ft at the most
L of wire needed= (pi*coil length/wire radius)*the sum from x=1 to x=# of layers of [inner coil radius + wire radius*(2x-1)]

- bus bars are convenient for screw terminal caps. flatten out some lengths of copper tubing.

- for the simulators, i usually start by picking a projectile and using the inductor sim.
I think it's best if the coil is the same length as the projectile: that gives you the length of the coil
next, you want a nice fitting, thin walled barrel (or no barrel at all): that gives you the I.D. of the coil.
for the outter diameter. ugh, i'd just wing it and try a few layers. or go the tedious way:
time = 2*length of coil* sqrt[projectile mass/(efficiency * capacitance * voltage^2)]
use the length, ID, and wire gauge to make coils of various number of layers and write down the inductance and resistance values.
then use the RLC simulator with your capacitance, voltage, and try out each set of R and L until the peak time plotted equals the time you calculated with the above formula.

-try vishay's 70tps12 SCR in their sample program. 1200v 75A/1400A peak

-a diode in antiparallel with the coil is a good idea.

-the datasheet says 2 x 60A so i'd assume thats 60A per diode and you could parallel them for 120

-SCRs are pretty robust. just be careful with the gate input.

-external iron is placed on the outside of the coil, not the barrel. picture the field lines of your coil looping out and around to the other end. the external iron provides a shorter path for those lines to travel through.

- Iron will work fine for you. use a magnet and find what it sticks best to (besides another magnet)
I'm currently working with solenoid plungers as they are already shaped and pointed, made of a good magnetic material (presumably silicon steel,) and are laminated.

-if winding your own transformer, you can make the output voltage (after being rectified) be equal to your desired voltage, so you wont have to worry about overcharging.
Inducktion
Wed Jun 08 2011, 08:03PM
Forty wrote ...

- those caps should be fine for a coilgun. yes, charge a little below the max voltage.

- try to find some magnet wire (even if it's a lot thinner, but no smaller than ~22 awg)
thick insulation will add a lot of dead space in the coil as well as poor coupling to the projectile.
you'll only need ~40ft at the most
L of wire needed= (pi*coil length/wire radius)*the sum from x=1 to x=# of layers of [inner coil radius + wire radius*(2x-1)]

- bus bars are convenient for screw terminal caps. flatten out some lengths of copper tubing.

- for the simulators, i usually start by picking a projectile and using the inductor sim.
I think it's best if the coil is the same length as the projectile: that gives you the length of the coil
next, you want a nice fitting, thin walled barrel (or no barrel at all): that gives you the I.D. of the coil.
for the outter diameter. ugh, i'd just wing it and try a few layers. or go the tedious way:
time = 2*length of coil* sqrt[projectile mass/(efficiency * capacitance * voltage^2)]
use the length, ID, and wire gauge to make coils of various number of layers and write down the inductance and resistance values.
then use the RLC simulator with your capacitance, voltage, and try out each set of R and L until the peak time plotted equals the time you calculated with the above formula.

-try vishay's 70tps12 SCR in their sample program. 1200v 75A/1400A peak

-a diode in antiparallel with the coil is a good idea.

-the datasheet says 2 x 60A so i'd assume thats 60A per diode and you could parallel them for 120

-SCRs are pretty robust. just be careful with the gate input.

-external iron is placed on the outside of the coil, not the barrel. picture the field lines of your coil looping out and around to the other end. the external iron provides a shorter path for those lines to travel through.

- Iron will work fine for you. use a magnet and find what it sticks best to (besides another magnet)
I'm currently working with solenoid plungers as they are already shaped and pointed, made of a good magnetic material (presumably silicon steel,) and are laminated.

-if winding your own transformer, you can make the output voltage (after being rectified) be equal to your desired voltage, so you wont have to worry about overcharging.

As far as the SCR goes, I asked for it via the sample program; I hope they have some in stock.

With the antiparalllel diode, I was concerned about PEAK current, and was wondering if they were describing the peak current of ONE diode in the datasheet, or both diodes in parallel.

As for the busbars, I changed my mind, and I'm going to use these aluminum bars I have leftover from an old project. They should work fine.

Thank you very much for your help!
Forty
Wed Jun 08 2011, 08:56PM
oh. whoops. I'm fairly certain that the peak current is for one of the diodes for two reasons: the rating above it for continuous current indicates that it is for a single diode, and, i don't see why they would make two individual diodes into a package and then put the rating for a given combination of them into the datasheet.

edit: so in parallel the peak current should be approx. double the rating
Inducktion
Wed Jun 08 2011, 09:04PM
Forty wrote ...

oh. whoops. I'm fairly certain that the peak current is for one of the diodes for two reasons: the rating above it for continuous current indicates that it is for a single diode, and, i don't see why they would make two individual diodes into a package and then put the rating for a given combination of them into the datasheet.

Then I should assume that the peak current rating is doubled when paralleled?
Navrit Bal
Thu Jun 09 2011, 04:55PM
Navrit Bal Registered Member #3323 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 03:19PM
Having done this myself because of anothercoilgunsite.com (I think), I would definitely recommend using superglue (perhaps cyanoacrylate not I that I used that type) on every layer that you wind. Since I used a relatively thick wire and fudged up the initial layer winding repeatedly I got loads of work hardening on the inner layer so that definitely helped. The reason behind this is so that you don't have to use an inner barrel which increases the magnetic coupling between the projectile and the coil, which is of course great. I have to agree with using magnet wire, enamelled copper just to be clear, its not exactly expensive, depending on your budget of course.

I think everyone has been saying that if you do put the SCRs in parallel then make sure you add what is apparently called a current sharing resistor (of equal values) with the gates of each of the SCRs so that they share current equally.
Forty
Thu Jun 09 2011, 07:32PM
yes, superglue is amazingly useful for the coils. make sure you get the liquid stuff, not the gel. (superglue=cyanoacrylate) for your first coil, it might be a good idea to put taps in after each layer (after the first couple). just take a small (2-3 in.) loop of the wire, hold both ends of the loops together on the coil (the end thats coming off the coil, and the end after the loop you made) and twist the loop from the end down to the coil. to quote uzzor "it'll make sense when you do it." then just keep winding the coil with the twisted bit left out. this will leave you with a bunch of taps so that you can experiment with the number of layers without having to make a several coils. just be careful where the ends of the wires are when you fire it.
Turkey9
Fri Jun 10 2011, 05:40AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
Parallel those SCRs! I've done it time and time again with no problem, upwards of 600A. The people who say that it won't work are those who haven't tried it, those that have tried it know how wonderfully it works. As for current rating, just add them up and multiply by .8 for a safety margin.

As for the anti-parallel diodes, I haven't tried paralleling them so I don't know.

At the energy level you're using, don't worry about saturation. There are people experimenting with different materials (such as ferrite) but you have to have really strong magnetic fields before saturation becomes a problem.
Navrit Bal
Fri Jun 10 2011, 06:15PM
Navrit Bal Registered Member #3323 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 03:19PM
I would agree, make sure you add taps since you haven't wound the coil yet, I wish I had now :D also about the liquid superglue, absolutely make sure that it doesn't drip inside the coil though... I think when I was considering putting about 50 diodes in anti-parallel with the coil, I was told that they almost definitely wouldn't share current equally, and would be destroyed, besides the diode I put in anti-parallel can handle 600A peak and only cost £5, so no great loss there!
Inducktion
Sun Jun 12 2011, 07:10PM
Well, I got better caps a few days ago, two 3300 uF at 400 vDC ones. In parallel that should give me somewhere in the ballpark of half a kilojoule.

I need enameled wire now, but I plan on using that bit IGBT I was wondering about in the General Forum...

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: