Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

coil gun flechette

Move Thread LAN_403
Forty
Thu Jun 02 2011, 09:58PM Print
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
I would of tried this today but i do not have any cocktail straws.

my idea: fill the barrel of a large bore, 1 or 2 stage coilgun (due to length,) with small tubes like cocktail straws (stirrer, bar straw, whatever you wanna call them) and put small nails (decapitated) in each one and fire for a shotgun/flechette round-like effect. coil guns are a blast to design and build but they always end up with disappointing results, so why not spice things up with a barrage of projectiles?
Mycologist
Thu Jun 02 2011, 11:31PM
Mycologist Registered Member #2413 Joined: Sat Oct 03 2009, 08:27PM
I've thought of trying this myself before, but never bothered because I've always assumed the coupling to the slugs would start to get so poor that you wouldn't manage much more than having all the projectiles just drop out of the end of the barrel.

I have just finished my exams for this year, so I guess I could try this out sometime between now and October, or at least do some calculations...
Inducktion
Thu Jun 02 2011, 11:56PM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
You could put them in a metal case, with a sort of paper cover over the top, and make it so the end of the barrel has a sort of lip on the inside, so it catches the actual cartridge but not the metal thingies...
Forty
Fri Jun 03 2011, 12:00AM
Forty Registered Member #3888 Joined: Sun May 15 2011, 09:50PM
Yes, a gun designed solely for this purpose would suffer from coupling losses (unless the coil is very long, in which case the B field would be approximately uniform within.) I just thought it would be a neat thing to try out with an existing coilgun of moderate bore (atleast 30 cal.) Congrats on finishing your exams. Don't waste your time with the calculations, it's just an idea for cool factor, not performance.
Electroholic
Fri Jun 03 2011, 04:14AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
Not trying to rain on your parade, but it might not be so easy. A portion of the projectiles will probably get stuck if not shot backward. Variations in the projectiles, non uniform magnetic field, friction and drag are just a few problems off the top of my head.

Come to think of it, when the projectiles are temporary magnetized, wouldnt they repel each other? leading to extra barrel drag?

Would love to hear your results, tho.
PSCG
Mon Jun 13 2011, 09:51AM
PSCG Registered Member #3792 Joined: Sun Mar 27 2011, 06:07PM
Is it possible to put the nails into a ferromagnetic tube, cut along like a sabot, that will be discarded after leaving tne barrel? In that way the nails will maintain the kinetic energy without barrel friction or spreading.
Hardraade
Fri Feb 17 2012, 03:29PM
Hardraade Registered Member #4403 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2012, 10:23PM
I think a sabot would be the most eff. compared with the small mass of each flechette-dart, and the full mass of the sabot, holding the darts in a fixed direction, eliminating the need for the few feet of airresistance req.for fins to correct the aerodynamics when leaving the muzzle. I think that the excisting 12 gauge flechette rounds are put together that way, sending away a neatly packed and pointed bundle of darts, eliminating the missing aerodynamics when used in shells or otherwise HE-propelled.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: