All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Did I see "regenerative recievers" in these movies?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
hsieh
Sun May 22 2011, 12:16PM Print
hsieh Registered Member #1412 Joined: Thu Mar 27 2008, 04:07PM
Recently I watch two aircraft related movies."Amelia" Link2 and "Memphis Belle" Link2 (very old movie?)
I noticed that in these movie,when the crews of aircraft is operating the radio,sometimes the radio produced a sound similar to my homemade vacuum tube regenerative reciever!Then I read that regenerative recievers were still in use until WW2.

I'm so surprised that these movie presented this small detail.But my friends said that I'm too serious about movies.I'm so surprise because I might see something similar to what I built!

So did aircraft at that time(1930s~1940s) still use regenerative radio equipments?
Proud Mary
Sun May 22 2011, 01:20PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
I can't comment on your films, which I have not seen, but I can confirm that regenerative and super-regenerative circuits were in widespread use during the Second World War, particularly in mobile VHF and UHF receivers.

Use of regeneration at HF was much less common, though where size and weight were critical, there was still a place for it, as we see in this British Paraset 'spy radio', supplied to partisans and resistance fighters. Notice the knob marked 'Reaction,' which is the old British term for regeneration:

1306069898 543 FT0 Paraset

There has been a great resurgence of interest in regenerative receivers for short distance telemetry and remote control applications, such as car door locking and garage door control. See here for an excellent discussion in the Microwave Journal: Link2

On the hobbyist front, a Frenchman called Jamet has invented a 10 GHz regenerative receiver which may interest you:

Link2
Nah
Sun May 22 2011, 08:51PM
Nah Registered Member #3567 Joined: Mon Jan 03 2011, 10:49PM
Garage door openers work on regeneration. (Or is it the super kind...) I have a bad memory.....
hsieh
Mon May 23 2011, 12:07AM
Several months ago I was trying to build vacuum tube regenerative radios.I tried many times.finally some of my circuits seems to work.But the circuits I build were very unstable.even the position of my hand can affect regeneration.And the variable capacitor I use seems can't stand the B+ voltage of the vacuum tube circuit.I see sparks inside it.

I found those circuit on some old books.the book said they are easy to build for beginners.
Proud Mary
Mon May 23 2011, 02:02AM
謝昕哲 wrote ...

Several months ago I was trying to build vacuum tube regenerative radios.I tried many times.finally some of my circuits seems to work.But the circuits I build were very unstable.even the position of my hand can affect regeneration.And the variable capacitor I use seems can't stand the B+ voltage of the vacuum tube circuit.I see sparks inside it.

I found those circuit on some old books.the book said they are easy to build for beginners.

Regenerative detectors will suffer from 'hand capacitance' effects unless they are shielded inside a metal box or chassis.

They will also radiate interference at signal frequency unless you put an RF amplifier between the antenna and the detector.

You must make sure that any parts you use are of the correct voltage rating.
hsieh
Mon May 23 2011, 11:04AM
The parts for vacuum tube radio,or even semiconductor radio is hard to find today.

I even can't find the knob for modern variable capacitor and I have to made my own using wood sheet.Needless to say the old style variable capacitor.So I gave up.
Proud Mary
Mon May 23 2011, 03:12PM
謝昕哲 wrote ...

The parts for vacuum tube radio,or even semiconductor radio is hard to find today.

I even can't find the knob for modern variable capacitor and I have to made my own using wood sheet.Needless to say the old style variable capacitor.So I gave up.

eBay UK always has thousands of thermionic valve era parts for sale, as does eBay in other European countries like Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland.

Finding the parts at a good price is all part of the hobby! smile
Nah
Mon May 23 2011, 08:01PM
Nah Registered Member #3567 Joined: Mon Jan 03 2011, 10:49PM
I would suggest AES or radio daze. Playthings of the past has many NOS parts. Many more stores than you think cater to the radio crowd.
Newton Brawn
Wed Jun 20 2018, 03:05PM
Newton Brawn Registered Member #3343 Joined: Thu Oct 21 2010, 04:06PM
Hi Proud Mary,

Yes, I have built some Regenerative Radio Receivers during the 1950~1960 years.

I far I could remember one of them used a vacuum tube triode, 60 volts battery, 2000 ohms auricular phones and it was nice hear the local broadcast stations. It was stable and neat operation.

Good old times.

Now I am collecting parts for assemble another regenerative, using vacuum tubes.

How can I get complete information about the regenerative that you included above ?

Regards

Newton
radiotech
Fri Jun 22 2018, 03:05AM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
The effects crew might have dubbed the sound of an AM
radio with a BFO being used.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: