Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DRSSTC pre-charging circuit question + spark photos

Move Thread LAN_403
Part Scavenger
Sat Jun 17 2006, 03:09PM Print
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
I finally got some pictures!!! One of the pictures includes a 26 strike, limited because the ceiling is so close (it's sitting on my workbench) I redid the bridge and it works even better! OCD is working perfectly, everything works great. Unforunately, everything's limited by my 2.5A variac. So, I modded an MOT which worked, but I messed it up and I'm going to have to rewind it.

Pictures + blog at my site: Link2 It's in the Projects>DRSSTC section. Anybody know how to make a link inside a frameset?

But, I had an idea that I could just ditch the variac and include a charging circuit instead. I've designed this, but I've never designed anything high voltage + digital. The comparator reads the voltage of the power supply, and the voltage of the capacitor. Then, when the capacitor is full, the transistor turns on. R4 is a dummy for a relay that shorts R3. I'm asking, although it checks out in sim, is everything OK before I build it? Also, what would be a good place to put a "still charged" LED?

[link][img]
1150556954 79 FT0 Picture 094 Cr

1150556954 79 FT0 Picture 094 Cr
1150556954 79 FT0 Charging Circuit
Reaching
Sat Jun 17 2006, 03:35PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
you can build a pre charging circuit much simpler than with a comparator.

simply add a say 10watts 200ohm resistor for charging the cap. a voltage divider out of 1 resistor and an relais would do the job, . the cap charges up trough the 200ohm resistor and the divider switches the relais on at say 200volts, then the first resistor is bridged via the relais, thats it, works fine on all my drsstcs.
the disadvantage, you have to use thick resistors with 10watts or more, the power dissipation heat them up for the whole runtime, so you will waste some 10watts of power. the advantage is that its the simplest you can build.you dont need a discharge resistor anymore, the voltage divider does this when the coil is turned off
Steve Ward
Sat Jun 17 2006, 04:49PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Since its AC, you can also use a capacitor as a ballast. Something around 10-20uF should work well (look for motor run caps, they would work perfectly here).

Your charging circuit worries me a bit. You should rather just use 2 high impedance voltage dividers, both fed from diodes (so they ignore the ripple). But, one problem is that theoretically the comparator will never trip. The cap voltage will always be *slightly* less than the supply charging it (through any real resistance). So you are better off just setting the comparator threshold from the 12V supply "artificially". Once you are within 5V of the max, its pretty safe to just switch it full ON.

Or go with a simple approach and just use a manual shorting switch.

Good looking sparks btw
Part Scavenger
Sat Jun 17 2006, 05:34PM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'll go with the relay thing.

And Steve, thanks for the comparator thing. That's why I asked first, I was worried about the same thing myself, but being somewhat inexperienced, I wasn't sure what would be better. Duh.

Thanks alot!
EDY19
Sun Jun 18 2006, 01:15PM
EDY19 Registered Member #105 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:54PM
You can also find relays on Ebay that are time delay ones- I used this with a ~15 ohm resistor in series with the load, and then after three seconds, the relay would short the resistor. It worked very well.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: