All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

creating tritium

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
magnet18
Thu Apr 28 2011, 08:55PM Print
magnet18 Registered Member #3766 Joined: Sun Mar 20 2011, 05:39AM
So, if nitrogen plus neutron makes tritium and carbon, why couldn't tritium be made with americium?
Daedronus
Fri Apr 29 2011, 12:18PM
Daedronus Registered Member #2329 Joined: Tue Sept 01 2009, 08:25AM
Isn't it hydrogen + neutron = deuterium + neutron = tritium?

I think it will be hard to split (fission) nitrogen atoms.
hboy007
Fri Apr 29 2011, 06:31PM
hboy007 Registered Member #1667 Joined: Sat Aug 30 2008, 09:57PM
see Link2

the most common way tritium is generated is in my opinion through neutron capture by DHO or D2O in water cooled reactors. Thus, I don't think it is reasonable to generate tritium with smoke detectors (if that is what you had in mind) especially because the spontaneous fission decay channel of Am241 is extremely minute.

See Link2 to find out the elements that have strong enough beta decays to expel a neutron.

What do you have in mind with Am241?
GluD
Fri Apr 29 2011, 10:16PM
GluD Registered Member #1221 Joined: Wed Jan 09 2008, 06:17PM
Perhaps a silly question, but is this not physics rather than chemistry?

In any case I dont understand your question at all. Please write more than just a single line... How should we answer your question if we dont understand what you want to do.

Why would nitrogen + neutron = tritium + carbon? (with my current knowlegde I dont think that is possiable)

With my modest knowlegde of neutrons, it seems that when speaking of neutrons it is very important to be specific about what energies the neutrons have as that will decide what happens when it, for example, strikes a nitrogen atom. If the neutron is very energitic it may 'scatter' the nucleus it hits, if it has low energy it may be 'absorbed' by the nucleus.
Also you have to consider the cross sections of the atom you wish to 'hit' with neutrons, maybe it is too 'small' for any reasonable 'yield'.

If someone has a better understanding of these matters please correct if me I am mistaken, I only spend a little time reading about this a while back, it is very interesting reading but also challeneging.
magnet18
Sat Apr 30 2011, 12:30AM
Sorry, made sense in my head, I read on wikipedia here-
wrote ...
Tritium occurs naturally due to cosmic rays interacting with atmospheric gases. In the most important reaction for natural production, a fast neutron (which must have energy greater than 4.0 MeV[10]) interacts with atmospheric nitrogen:
14________1__________12________3
7N ___+___0n___→ ____6C__+ ___1T
and americium emits a neutron of 2-10 MeV ,so I was thinking that I could make tritium with smoke detectors, but if it was that easy, people would be doing it, so I was wondering why it wasn't that easy.

And it's both chemistry and physics, like batteries are electricity and chemistry, and theres no physics section here, so I put it here. Radioactive decay is covered in our chem books.
GluD
Sat Apr 30 2011, 11:16PM
GluD Registered Member #1221 Joined: Wed Jan 09 2008, 06:17PM
Oh so you want to 'smash' up the nitrogen atom with an energetic neutron thus producing radioactive carbon which then decays to tritium? Sounds strange that carbon would decay to tritium though.

Based on your first post I arrivied at the (incorrect?) conclusion that you wanted to do something with a neutron and some nitrogen which would somehow magicaly produce tritium and carbon.. which I dont think is possiable.

Smashing up the nitrogen atom to produce carbon sounds plausiable although you should really look up the isotopes and decay data etc to verify it.

Also I thought Americium was emitting Alpha particles and ocassionaly Gamma rays, not neutrons?
It also 'surpise' me that you say the neutrons will have energies ranging from 2-10MeV, as I was under the impression that decay energies was well defined?
(it seems rather important to clearify the actual energy of the neutrons because if it is less than 4MeV it wont 'work' acording to the stuff you quoted)

I think you'd be better off just to put this 'project' down already. How would you for example collect the tritium assuming you were able to make some?
If you insist on contiuening this endavour I shall suggest you to use the method suggested also by Daedronus earlier in this thread, preferable starting with deuterium if you can obtain that.

There are also various safety issues, one of which is the fact that tritium is a radioactive gas. A gas leakage is obivously much more trouble than if it were solids, or even liquid.

Are you capable of undertaking the strict safety requirements of a project such as this? To be honest I dont think most of us hobby people are.
magnet18
Sun May 01 2011, 01:22AM
Not exactly, the neutron smashes into the nitrogen which smashes part into standard carbon 12 and tritium

And youre right, americium is an alpha emiter, I was thinking the radioactive boyscout where he put beryllium in front of it, this absorbs the alpha particle and emits a high energy neutron (high enough to convert thorium to uranium)

In any case, no, I can't do it safely, and I don't even plan on trying. But someday, I'll be able to...

I just put this out because it seemed really simple, I didn't figure it would actually be that simple since if it was people would be doing it.

Even if I did want to try I couldn't, my dad won't even let me buy tritium, let alone make it...

Hey, what if you filled a vial with nitrogen and covered the end with beryllium foil? Then the foil could be put directly against the alpha emission source, when the tritium had been made you thread the cap on the vial over the foil, no gas escapes?
(this is all theoretical)
Of course, you're still left with a steaming pile of americium...
and the need for finances for beryllium (more expensive than titanium)
Adam Munich
Sun May 01 2011, 02:36AM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
I wonder if a farnsworth fusor is capable of producing tritium, even in minute quantities...
magnet18
Sun May 01 2011, 02:52AM
I would think that you would just need to place the proper material in it and then insert hydrogen into the fusor...

... and you just added a new project to my list...

[EDIT]
patent for one of his fusors, I saw the word tritium at the bottom of column 9
Link2
Bored Chemist
Sun May 01 2011, 12:07PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
Grenadier wrote ...

I wonder if a farnsworth fusor is capable of producing tritium, even in minute quantities...
Yes
Most of the discussions of fusors I have seen talk about fusing deuterium. There are two routes for that reaction and one of them makes tritium.
Incidentally, this isn't chemistry but I don't think that matters much.
In principle, you could get the Am from a smoke detector, wrap it in Be to make a neutron source and then let those neutrons plough into nitrogen to make tritium. The yield would be practically zero.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: