All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DRSSTC Tuning Study - Initial Results

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
HV Enthusiast
Tue Jun 13 2006, 06:04PM Print
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
I’m presently performing a detailed analysis of the tuning characteristics of a DRSSTC system. I’m still in the early phases of this particular task, but have come up
with some initial data of Primary Current and DC Bus Voltage vs. Arc Length for various tuning points in a DRSSTC system.

This data was collected at 9 separate tuning points (1/4 turn increments) on the primary coil of a small DRSSTC system. A strike target was placed beginning at 0.25” and increased
in two inch increments up to the maximum arc the system was capable of. For this particular system, 32” was the maximum arc, and was limited by either the active current limiting
circuit which was set to about 550A and/or secondary-to-primary arcing at which time the experiment was ceased.

Natural Frequency of Secondary with 13” x 4” toroid = 198kHz (Measured)
Coupling: Approx. 0.18 (estimated)

Primary Tuning Range (9.2uH to 5.3uH)
Natural Frequency of Primary Circuit (w/ 0.108uF MMC) (Measured)
9.2uH = 160kHz
7.9uH = 173kHz
7.7uH = 175kHz
7.2uH (I) = 180kHz
7.2uH (II) = 180kHz
6.2uH = 196kHz
5.8uH = 200kHz
5.6uH = 205kHz
5.3uH = 210kHz

Please note, there are two 7.2uH, but they are actually ¼ turn from one another. There was some fluctuation do to wire length / positioning of the connection wires which attributed to this.
These inductance value were measured exactly how the wires would connect to the full-bridge.

Initial Data:

Haven't had time to analyze the data yet, but in the first graph, you can clearly see the exact point where the arc length drastically affects the performance of the system due to tuning / detuning. For the higher number of turns (larger inductance), you can see the peak primary current begin to level off. It is at this point where the added C of the arc brings the system "into better tune" and allows arc length to grow considerably. And likelise, at the lower number of turns, you can see the points where arc length capacitance throws the system out of tune and these are the points on the curves where additional arc length requires increasingly more current.

Peak Primary Current vs. Arc Length
http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com/tuningstudy01.jpg

DC Bus Voltage vs. Arc Length
http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com/tuningstudy02.jpg

1150221881 15 FT0 Tuningstudy01

1150221881 15 FT0 Tuningstudy02
ragnar
Tue Jun 13 2006, 07:47PM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
very nice, EVR =)

are there any pleasant surprises (curves) to be had by setting the current limiting at e.g. 650A and doing further tests?
Steve Ward
Tue Jun 13 2006, 08:07PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Given the trend at say 9.2uH, you only needed 300VDC to get the "max" spark length for this test. If you opened up the current limit to 600A maybe, then you would likely see the longest possible streamers at the maximum 400VDC input. This is sort of obvious, but it shows the benefits of detuning the primary lower on smaller coils when you are limited by input voltage or tank surge impedance.

What were the burst lengths during these tests? roughly the same? Or was it all over the place? How about PRF?

Anyway, nice tests. I did similar ones awhile back, but not in as much detail. I focused more on burst length, input power (real watts), primary current, buss voltage, coupling, and achieving 2 or 3 benchmark spark lengths to compare the data (24", 30" and 36" for my smaller coil). I found that detuning was slightly less efficient (lower "Freau" number) but gave the longest possible sparks from the system. I also found that lowering the coupling had a similar effect to detuning the system somewhat, though not quite as efficient. I did not set my current limiter to inhibit performance, so the lower tunings ran maybe 20% higher primary currents, but gave probably 20% longer sparks. When performing similar tests on my larger DRSSTC systems, i found that the detuning was not required, and less RF cycles per burst could achieve very long sparks, and also maintain a high Freau number (usually around 1.8-2.2). It would be nice to have a place where i could test my coils for hours on end and do more of these tests.
HV Enthusiast
Tue Jun 13 2006, 09:20PM
Thanks. These tests were all done at constant PRF (100Hz) and 300us pulsewidth. I will be doing additional studies later with varying PRF and pulsewidth, although i really don't see any arc length improvement above around 100us.

As far as current limit goes, i am probably going to stick around 500A or so for limit as thats about the reliabilty limit i have found in my experience for these devices (above that, and reliability decreases considerably, again in my experience with these devices)

My original goal for this system was 30", and it can easily do that, so i'm pretty satisfied. I will now probably choose a tuning point somewhere midway between the curves to keep current down to manageable levels etc... All a trade-off of course.

On a separate note, best spark length so far for this coil was about 4 feet so far, but with no current limiting. Of course, probability for strikes on base or primary are quite high in this mode and without current limiting, you are asking for trouble.

If i have time, i may run some additional iterations tonite with even more primary inductance and also probably increase the current limit a bit and see what goes . . .

UPDATE: Decided to relax the current limit a bit (up to 700A), and maximum arc length now is easily hitting 48", although i do get nervous a bit running this thing at 600-700A peak current. . .
Part Scavenger
Wed Jun 14 2006, 02:44AM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
It would be nice to have a place where i could test my coils for hours on end and do more of these tests.

Uh... MY HOUSE!!! Come right over anytime. wink
Desmogod
Wed Jun 14 2006, 04:26AM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
EastVoltResearch wrote ...

Primary Tuning Range (9.2uH to 5.3uH)
Natural Frequency of Primary Circuit (w/ 0.108uF MMC) (Measured)

How do you measure these and come to these figures?
HV Enthusiast
Wed Jun 14 2006, 12:44PM
wrote ...

How do you measure these and come to these figures?

These were measured with network / impedance analyzer.

However, you can measure this with an oscilloscope and signal generator if you have them.
JimmyH
Thu Jul 06 2006, 07:40AM
JimmyH Registered Member #358 Joined: Sat Apr 01 2006, 06:13AM
Hey,

I finally got around to checking out your results, and had a few comments.

1. Why stop at 9.2uH? It seemed to be the best of all the values, and also the lowest value tried. I would have tested values on both the low side and the high side to ensure the optimum one is in the data set. The amp/inch graph appears to steepen at the end a bit, implying that a lower value might work even better.

2. The Amp/inch curve was done with a fixed pulse width, and fixed tank Z (duh), so that means the DC rail voltage must have been changing. Same idea goes for the volt/inch curve. Since the secondary cant differentiate between your tank, and a tank with 4x the Z and half the current, it would be nice to have a "peak volt*amps/inch" chart. That would be helpful if you know your max DC voltage, and the max current you're willing to push.

3. Going along with the second point, a Z/(V*Apk) curve would help in choosing your primary LC impedance knowing your max VDC and Apk

If the information was rearranged in this fashion, it'd be easy to pick out the % detuning that gives the lowest VA/inch, and then find the capacitor value that corresponds with that % detuning at your chosen peak VA.

There are too many dimensions to cover everything (havent touched ON time, and the various resonator characteristics like fres, height width, etc), but this should be a very good start for coils around this size.

If you don't want to add this to your paper, I'd like to play around with the data myself. Could you send me your excel file?

Thanks
Sulaiman
Thu Jul 06 2006, 09:16AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Dan,
Nice work.
Thanks for sharing the data,

Aren't TCs amazing?
Such a simple concept - so many practical considerations.

I'm finaly starting a drsstc
(based on my stock items such as 30N60 as I have no spare cash)
(The secondary is 6.2" dia x 28" high, 1800 turns, 0.1H, Fres 82 kHz with topload)
I'm not asking you to design my TC for me, but I do have a question-

How do you choose the primary impedance?

e.g. 55.5uH//68nF vs 5.5uH//680nF

Lower impedance for rapid ringup and high volts/turn but low "Q"
Higher impedance for more kVAR in the tank for a given maximum current.
There must be an 'optimum' primary impedance
but where do I start?

HV Enthusiast
Thu Jul 06 2006, 12:47PM
I usually start by selecting primary inductance to make primary and secondary tuned circuits equal. Then i add a few additional turns for good measure and then just play around with tuning until i get a good point (as in this study)

For tuning, i would use cardboard cut-outs and a temporary primary.

I don't worry about such things as Q, ring-up, etc...
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: