Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

black holes in the lab

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Mon Jun 12 2006, 05:54PM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
Does this mean that at the center of every black hole, including the supermassive black holes thought to be at the center of galaxies, is a singularity?
mike0t4ever
Mon Jun 12 2006, 06:06PM
mike0t4ever Registered Member #321 Joined: Wed Mar 15 2006, 03:33AM
Firkragg wrote ...

....A mini black hole out of 2 protons or one in center of galaxy have no physical differences except size....
uhh and mass
Marko
Mon Jun 12 2006, 06:25PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
uhh and mass

Isn't mass proportional to size (of horizon, of course)? smile
But yes, that would surely be more appropriate word...
Quantum Singularity
Tue Jun 13 2006, 01:18AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Firkragg wrote ...

Black hole occupies no space, and is infinitely dense.

The thing we see as a big black scary thing is generally it's horizon.

A mini black hole out of 2 protons or one in center of galaxy have no physical differences except size. (and you can divide them by size if you wish).

So than a black hole cannot exist without there being a singularity? Said another way, is it then impossible for there to be a 'stable' mass of a certain value and size that has a stong enough magnetic pull to not allow light to escape? Or is it that any object regardless of size or mass that has a gravitational pull that can suck light in must be of infinite density and not occupy any space (other than the apparent space of the event horizon)? I was under the impression that there was another threshold that had to be reached for a black hole to become infinitely dense and form a singularity.
Cesiumsponge
Tue Jun 13 2006, 01:20AM
Cesiumsponge Registered Member #397 Joined: Wed Apr 19 2006, 12:56AM
I think black hole and singularity are used interchangably today By now, I am not sure it matters, but I recall "black hole" was a slang for singularities and describes the Schwarzschild radius of a singularity. Obviously it appears as a "black hole" in the backdrop.

A singularity can never be directly observed as it exists inside it's Schwarzschild radius but as mentioned, you can determine it's mass by measiring the Schwarzschild radius. Also the natural formation of such from dying stars are guided by the Chandrasekhar and Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff limits based on a factor of solar masses.

In order to create a small singularity that fall well below those limits, you need to exceed neutron degeneracy which takes a LOT of energy.

Granted, scientists and physicists sometimes come up with clever ways to cheat and use backdoor methods to accomplish things without breaking the laws of physics so it might be possible. Occasionally you hear articles of teams proposing to create miniature black holes and other exotic research. I'm not sure if any of these have ever come into fruitation though.
Desmogod
Tue Jun 13 2006, 01:23AM
Desmogod Registered Member #139 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 11:01AM
Firkragg wrote ...

Black hole occupies no space, and is infinitely dense.

No, that is not the case, one thing that we try to avoid in physics is infinities.
A black hole still has mass, and it will still emit (hawking) radiation like a hot body, therefore, a black hole isn't truly black.
It will also occupy volume in space.
Simon
Tue Jun 13 2006, 06:26AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
The event horizon of a black hole contains a volume and this is the usual definition of the size of the black hole. Saying that the hunk of matter inside occupies a finite volume is a different thing.

Theoretical physicists who shy away from the idea of infinite density have come up with alternative descriptions of black holes that do not involve singularities.
Quantum Singularity
Tue Jun 13 2006, 08:24AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
No, that is not the case, one thing that we try to avoid in physics is infinities.
A black hole still has mass, and it will still emit (hawking) radiation like a hot body, therefore, a black hole isn't truly black.
It will also occupy volume in space.

Don't the laws of physics not apply beyond the boundary of the event horizon of a singularity? In which case you wouldnt have to avoid the infinites because there are no laws that govern whats beyond the event horizon? And I thought by definition that a singularity is a single point in space (point, that means no dimension or volume)?

And I dont beleive anyone said they will not have mass, or infinite mass for that matter, although I could have missed that. They have infinite density because the mass they have takes up no space/volume.
Carbon_Rod
Wed Jun 14 2006, 01:27AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
”Don't the laws of physics not apply beyond the boundary of the event horizon of a singularity”

It’s a mystery – there are literally dozens of reasonable hypothesis. Some suggest manifolds in space-time that could not be considered classical mass by any means (infinite or otherwise.)

Most theories today however are not falsifiable by experiment – but a plausible explanation may be observable someday

Personally I think cartoon ACME Inc. holes are less controversial and more logical then some of the ideas. smile

Cheers,
Dr. Slack
Wed Jun 14 2006, 11:11AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Although both are hypothesised and neither has been proved conclusively to exist, black holes and singularities are very different things.

The theory behind black holes is very well supported. A black holes does not need a singularity inside to be black, only sufficient mass. There are places in the universe where a block hole would fit observations well. There are known simple mechanisms by which they could form.

There is no theory behind singularities beyond physicsits saying "so then when nuclear repulsion is overcome and Pauli exclusion is overcome, there's nothing to hold this stuff apart, and it all goes down to ... omg ... nothing". FWIW, I don't believe in singularities, I just don't think we know enough yet about what happens at the extremes of pressure and density (well it helps me sleep at night, other people believe crazier things!) Physicists are starting to come up with theories that avoid infinite density in a singluarity, partly 'cos it's interesting maths, and I suspect partly because they don't believe in infinite density either. Whether such will ever be testable is another matter.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: