Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
mileswaldron (59)

Next birthdays
06/03 mileswaldron (59)
06/04 muze801 (33)
06/05 HVgeek (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coilgun Project Help

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Arcstarter
Mon Apr 11 2011, 04:15AM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
You could use a few small package SCRs in parallel. I used 5 SK065K ( Link2 ) in parallel for a 624 joule bank (800v 1950uf) which i could short directly across the SCRs. I have shorted it, and i have exploded foil and components and shot disks, and the SCRs all still work. I used a AAA cell and a push button to trigger, no need to limit current when the voltage is already perfect!
BenB
Sun May 15 2011, 10:04PM
BenB Registered Member #3785 Joined: Sat Mar 26 2011, 03:37PM
Reviving a dead thread a little here, but I suppose a small update would cancel out the negative karma?
I took some photos to document progress today, and I will have a snap about in the lab *cough shed cough* tomorrow to get anything I missed. I have 10 1000uF 450V capacitors ready to be hooked up, and beyond that its just a case of troubleshooting my mazilli circuit (which of course, decided not to work first time :P ) and piecing the gun together.

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k588/BenB94/
Inducktion
Mon May 16 2011, 12:50AM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
Arcstarter wrote ...

You could use a few small package SCRs in parallel. I used 5 SK065K ( Link2 ) in parallel for a 624 joule bank (800v 1950uf) which i could short directly across the SCRs. I have shorted it, and i have exploded foil and components and shot disks, and the SCRs all still work. I used a AAA cell and a push button to trigger, no need to limit current when the voltage is already perfect!

I thought you aren't supposed to parallel SCR's...
BenB
Mon May 16 2011, 07:22PM
Inducktion wrote ...

Arcstarter wrote ...

I thought you aren't supposed to parallel SCR's...

From what I know, without a balancing resistor in series with each you risk one SCR hogging the current and blowing. Luckily I've acquired a huge stub type SCR rated @ 285A continuous :P (What sort of application needs that level of current!)
Muttyfutty!
Tue May 17 2011, 01:17AM
Muttyfutty! Registered Member #2915 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 10:41AM
In my coilgun I paralleled 4 SCRs and they worked like a charm! But I was only using 150j...
Buy some of those super cheep no-brand SCR's and give them a try! No resistors or anything,
just a nice solid heaztsink.
These are the ones I used: FS2510NH SCR 25A 800V TO-220 IPeak:270A

Edit: Yay 100 posts! :)
Saz43
Tue May 17 2011, 01:26AM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
In theory, paralleled diodes or SCRs will start to share current unevenly as they heat up. However, in practice, it works just fine for coilguns since they tend to fire at a very low frequency and can cool off between shots before thermal runaway can take place.

Use equally valued resistors on each gate so they share the gate current nicely, and you'll be fine. FastMHZ paralleled SCRs on his monster coilgun and it worked beautifully. Link2
BenB
Tue May 17 2011, 02:15PM
Saz, you might be able to help me here, I'm having trouble with my charging circuit and i know you used one on your monster gun. I've constructed a copy of uzzors mazilli driver, but when I connect everything up, both LEDs illuminate simultaneously. As far as I can tell from the schematic, one should only light when the reference voltage is reached? The driver itself wont draw any current nor work, I think the mosfets are being held off...

Any pointers for where I should begin troubleshooting?

I'll post pictures etc later.

Cheers Ben
Ash Small
Tue May 17 2011, 02:26PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Just an idea, but if you want a cheap (ish) rechargable 14.4 supply, both Argos and Homebase sell bettery drills for £9.99.

The battery pack could be incorporated into the grip. You get a charger as well, but not a very good one, it doesn't appear to have a current limiter or to switch off when fully charged.

You'd also have a battery drill which may come in useful!

(EDIT: My mistake, they are 12V, not 14.4V, but still useful as high current rechargable compact 12V supplies.)
Saz43
Tue May 17 2011, 09:40PM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
BenB wrote ...

Saz, you might be able to help me here, I'm having trouble with my charging circuit and i know you used one on your monster gun. I've constructed a copy of uzzors mazilli driver, but when I connect everything up, both LEDs illuminate simultaneously. As far as I can tell from the schematic, one should only light when the reference voltage is reached? The driver itself wont draw any current nor work, I think the mosfets are being held off...

Any pointers for where I should begin troubleshooting?

I'll post pictures etc later.

Cheers Ben

The best thing to do is to test it one part at a time. Start by disconnecting the control circuitry and try to get the Mazilli part to work. If the problem is with your transformer, it should at least charge a little bit, so I'd guess either you wired something wrong or your mosfets are bad. Try testing your mosfets on a separate circuit (a simple LED blinker or something) to make sure they are functioning.
BenB
Wed May 18 2011, 06:16PM
I managed to coax some life out of the circuit earlier, in the form of some current drawn and a loud buzz from the ferrite core of the inductors. I took some turns off, and curiously current draw increased. In frustation, I sliced the diodes connecting the mazilli from the voltage detector and the caps started charging, but stalled at 25 volts. In the spirit of bigger is better, I grabbed a high discharge rated 18V drill battery, and voila! 425V in my cap bank. Haven't had a chance re-test the voltage comparing circuit, but for the moment watching the voltmeter carefully will do! :P

Edit: Forgot to mention, interestingly one MOSFET is becoming Luke-warm, but the other has remained cool. Both are wired identically, and are the same spec #.
Edit edit: the 393 just dramatically exploded :) what could cause that to happen? Data sheet specifies input voltage up to 36V... Would the circuit function without it? ICs really aren't my strong point :/
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: