Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Improved DRSSTC Current Monitor Circuit

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
HV Enthusiast
Fri Jun 09 2006, 05:09PM Print
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Here is the first revision release of my improved DRSSTC Current Monitor Circuit.

Features:

- Bar Graph Meter
- Range up to 1000A
- Uses inexpensive commercial current transformer (or wind your own)
- Real time viewing of peak currents within the primary circuit
- Active current limiting
- Maximum current setpoint indicator

The complete document and design can be downloaded here:

http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com/currentmonitor02.pdf (4.6MB PDF)

Dan
Reaching
Sat Jun 10 2006, 10:36AM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
wow dan, nice circuit and a very good idea with the bargraph display, exactly what i was searching for to give my teslathon drsstc something special.

but why these horrible expensive comparators?
i´ll try to see if i can build up this circuit propely with lm393 cheapo comps or so, for my needs it dont have to be 0,1A exact.
HV Enthusiast
Sat Jun 10 2006, 12:17PM
Reaching wrote ...

but why these horrible expensive comparators?

Reaching,

The only comparator used in this circuit is the LM311 which is a generic comparator and pretty inexpensive. I assume you are talking about the LT1630 op-amps.

Yes, i forgot these were quite expensive. These were originally chosen for my prototype because the op-amp needed to be a true rail-to-rail input/output since i was dealing with small signals, but for this particular design, a cheapo LM741 will do the trick just fine, although be a bit slower and not work as well when ran near one of the rails.

But, yes, the LM741 or similar generic op-amp that is capable of running single-ended should be fine.

The only thing to really worry about when choosing your op-amp is how far off the supply rails it can operate. Try to choose something that can operate as close to the rails as possible for maximum performance, especially for low currents.

I'll update my datasheet to include the cheaper op-amps later today. Thanks for noting that.

Please note that I am releasing a whole series of downloadable DRSSTC papers and design guides which will be added regularly to the Amateur Design Resource section of our website. Check back often!!!

Steve Conner
Sat Jun 10 2006, 05:42PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
If you don't like expensive op-amps, my current monitor/limiter does all that Dan's does using a TL074 and half of a LM339. shades The only drawback of my circuit is that it's not at all obvious how it works, but trust me it does read and limit the actual peak primary current accurately. Right down to zero amps, too. tongue

Link2

It doesn't have the "view setpoint" feature, but you can add that with one diode and one SPST push button. (again I leave this as an exercise for the reader :P)

If you're looking for other rail-to-rail op-amps to substitute in Dan's circuit, try the LMC6484 or LMC660.
Marko
Sat Jun 10 2006, 05:55PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
The only drawback of my circuit is that it's not at all obvious how it works

Huh? smile

Nice addon for a DRSSTC.
I wonder if anything more simple than that can be done, like LM3914 (for LED's) with rectifier and
burden (like OCD) with some passive calibration?

Probably circuits won't be hard to build but they end to have bigger number of conponents than entire coil (steve ward's at least smile )
Reaching
Sat Jun 10 2006, 06:39PM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
im still on breadboarding this circuit and the first part works fine, but the lm741, lm3914 story wont work, dont know why,too many resistors . now im looking for a way to simple connect the lm3914 to view the primary current.

okay, i got it, but handle with care, its still a breadboard design, but works fine. the only thing you cant do with it is to view the overcurrent setting on the bar graph, but you can connect a digital voltmeter on U Ref to view the setting

Link2
Marko
Sat Jun 10 2006, 08:11PM
okay, i got it, but handle with care, its still a breadboard design, but works fine

Exactly what I tought of.
You could maybe make R7 and R8 variable for calibrating/offseting the meter (just for led's this seems fair), and voltage on burden depends on current directly.

Maybe you can be evil and use 3914 led output itself as easily readable overcurrent protection, altough it won't be fine-tunable and practical as comparator.

I wonder what was the reason for more-complex design?
HV Enthusiast
Sat Jun 10 2006, 09:10PM
wrote ...

I wonder if anything more simple than that can be done, like LM3914 (for LED's) with rectifier and
burden (like OCD) with some passive calibration?

Sure. If all you want is an LED current meter, a single diode, cap, and an LM3914 IC is all you need. However, for this particular design, two separate filters are required for the current sample. One is sized to reset every pulse burst, while the LED display is designed to hold for a second or two (orders of hundreds of bursts). Remember, if you use only one RC filter (for hold-up) and size it too large, the current limiting will be too slow to work properly.

wrote ...

It doesn't have the "view setpoint" feature, but you can add that with one diode and one SPST push button.

You'll need to correct for the diode drop though, unless your full range current voltage is large enough that the Vfwd of the diode is neglectable.

wrote ...

Probably circuits won't be hard to build but they end to have bigger number of conponents than entire coil (steve ward's at least

Firkragg,

If you compare just the active current limiting portion circuits of Steve Wards vs. this circuit, Steve Ward actually uses more components. Neither circuit is better or worse, they both accomplish the same exact thing.

wrote ...

okay, i got it, but handle with care, its still a breadboard design, but works fine. the only thing you cant do with it is to view the overcurrent setting on the bar graph, but you can connect a digital voltmeter on U Ref to view the setting

Sounds like you have an error in your breadboard circuit. I'm using the same circuit in my DRSSTC IV system now and it works perfectly (setpoint indicator)

wrote ...

Exactly what I tought of.
You could maybe make R7 and R8 variable for calibrating/offseting the meter (just for led's this seems fair), and voltage on burden depends on current directly.

This does work, but given Reaching's circuit as is, it will only provide a true reading during 100% duty cycle. The 100us time constant at the input to the comparator is much too slow provide proper hold-up between bursts, especially at lower PRFs. I use about a 5-10 sec time constant on my RC filter (10uF / 1Meg) for the LED display.

As stated before, you really need two separate filters for proper operation.

1. If you use a large time constant (enough to provide proper hold-up for the display to provide accurate readings over entire PRF range), then it will be TOO SLOW for current limiting. A few hundred bursts could go by with a 5-10 sec time constant filter before the current limiting kicks in.

2. If the time constant is set to very short, the active current limiting will react fast enough, but the hold-up time will be too short to maintain a proper level (again at entire PRF range) to be accurate on the LED display meter.

Hence the need for the buffer op-amp circuits in there.

They act more as buffers, than scaling / offset.

That is the reason for the more-complex design.

Of course, you could buffer with diodes as well (come up with a pair of diodes) into two separate circuits.

BTW, if you are afraid of a few extra components in your DRSSTC design, then you should probably stick to traditional spark gap coils!!! tongue
Marko
Sat Jun 10 2006, 09:29PM
BTW, if you are afraid of a few extra components in your DRSSTC design, then you should probably stick to traditional spark gap coils!!!

I actually more tought for steve conner's current sense circuit, and I never want complicating things that aren't complicated. Your one isn't that bad really.
HV Enthusiast
Sat Jun 10 2006, 09:38PM
Firkragg,

The current limit circuit i use is about as simple as they get. Its no more complicated than anyone elses current limit circuit including both the Steve's. Just a current transformer, rectifier, and comparator. Heck, its actually less complicated than Steve Conners as he is using (2) active components. tongue

The complex part of the circuit is just for display purposes and has no important function other than lighting up a few LEDs. And as i stated before, you could eliminate those op-amps completely and use just a couple of diodes or'd together. I'll still finishing up this document, so i'll probably add a few "simpler" alternatives as well.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: