Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
mileswaldron (59)

Next birthdays
06/04 muze801 (33)
06/05 HVgeek (33)
06/05 jmorlockny (50)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

First coil gun, 6 cameras, which charge circuit?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
sidneylopsides
Tue Mar 01 2011, 07:33PM Print
sidneylopsides Registered Member #3690 Joined: Mon Feb 14 2011, 10:59PM
Hi there, finally started getting parts together of a first build, I got 6 used disposable cameras from a shop today, 4 of them seem to have the same innards, the other two are both different.
The 4 that are the same don't have any specs on the caps, but I guess they are 330v 80/100uf, the other two are both 300v one is 100uf and one is 80uf.

Now, assuming I use one of the circuits as a charger, which is best? 5 are almost the same, one is much larger with wider tracks, I'd assume this would be best as it could handle larger currents through the PCB. This one has the 80uf cap. Though on the other hand, that one has steel or something for contacts, the others are copper.

These are the boards.

edit: I was also thinking could I use the charge LED power to trip a relay so it disconnects the charger when full, then automatically restarts after firing?
guitarlord66
Wed Mar 02 2011, 02:46AM
guitarlord66 Registered Member #1805 Joined: Sat Nov 08 2008, 06:29AM
Hey man

Definitely bank the 4 chargers in parallel, using one charger will be ridiculous charge time... unsolder the battery holders and the flash tube. Solder the button closed/down so that the circuit charges as soon as you have a voltage input and charge with no more than 3 volts, over 3 volts burns out SOME chargers. in my gun I have 10 similar or maybe even the exact same charges that you have (the 4) and they charge a 1140uf bank of capacitors in 8 seconds to 330v using 6 NICD cells at 3.6volts (parallel and series connection).

I have never disconnected the charger when firing, I just shoot and the chargers automatically start charging again.

Any more questions I'd be glad to help :)
sidneylopsides
Wed Mar 02 2011, 08:23AM
ah, cool! thanks :)
One other thing, I'm not sure about the charge indicator, would the one on the boards still work as normal?
guitarlord66
Wed Mar 02 2011, 09:23AM
Yeah if the chargers are paralleled together the LED's on them will all illuminate at the same time :) They usually turn on around 280 volts though and stay lit how ever high you want to charge. I wanted to see if the chargers would overcharge the capacitors to the point of explosion, so I let them charge for over 5 minutes and they just sit at around 350 volts. I didn't have any problems with it at all :)
Also only parallel them if they are the same chargers, I don't know what would happen if they are different brands.

EDIT:

Here's some pictures from when I built my bank, I thought it may help :)

The untouched charger:

1UntouchedChargingCircuit

Untouched Charger next to stripped down charger:

4Comparisent

10 stripped down chargers, block of wood with slots to mount them in, copper wire and thick wire insulator to cover the wire:

5Materials

Finished Charger:

6Complete
8Infront

I probably went a little over the top with it but I wanted it to look nice :)
sidneylopsides
Wed Mar 02 2011, 10:05AM
Thanks man! Those pictures look like what I had in my head when you said to put them in parallel. I have two circuits that look identical to yours, and two similar. Ill use the two identical ones for now, then so the nice lady at the camera shop for more!
guitarlord66
Wed Mar 02 2011, 11:03AM
haha cool :) Yeah I went to get more today and the guy said there photo processing thing is down and the company that repairs them is bankrupt so he doesn't know if they will ever process film again :S

Good luck with your charger :)
sidneylopsides
Wed Mar 02 2011, 06:25PM
Oh that's not good!

Thanks for the help, the magnet wire is on it's way, going to work more on the circuit tonight.
sidneylopsides
Tue Mar 29 2011, 09:53PM
Been away from this a while due to other projects, well, competition, that I won :p
I now have a a few more cameras to play with:

It seems to work well if the girl in the camera shop needs an excuse to come see you at work... we're off a for a drink next week :p

So back to this, I need to find a trigger, the charging and cap circuits seem to be fine, just no good way of triggering it at the moment.
James
Tue Mar 29 2011, 11:28PM
James Registered Member #3610 Joined: Thu Jan 13 2011, 03:29AM
The capacitors from those cameras are fine, but it's really a lot less work and more efficient to use a ZVS flyback driver with a self wound secondary. You can get ~300V from 20-40 turns at several hundred Watts if your power source can supply the current.
guitarlord66
Wed Mar 30 2011, 02:54AM
sidney: use a relay or SCR to trigger it :)
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: