Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Hydrometer for Alcohol

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Sun Feb 06 2011, 11:32AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Martin King wrote ...

I need to check for contamination (specifically water) in various types of Alcohol.

If this is to be your specification, then the suggestions made so far may not be of much practical use.

You must first specify the alcohols to be tested, since the anhydrous forms of each will all have their own apparent specific gravity relative to pure water.

You should also specify the anticipated range of contamination. The procedures needed for accurately quantifying aqueous contamination below - for example only - 1% by volume, will be of a different character to those needed for estimating contamination - dilution - in the range 5% to 95% to the nearest 5%.
Martin King
Mon Feb 07 2011, 02:29PM
Martin King Registered Member #3040 Joined: Tue Jul 27 2010, 03:15PM
Thanks, the main alcohol to be tested is isopropanol, it's density is VERY close to ethanol so a spirit hydrometer should be OK for our purposes. We need to check for water contamination of greater than 5 or 10% (not sure yet what the acceptable limit is) we know that 20% is unusable. I should have the hydrometers sometime this week they were cheap enough to try, if they are no good then it's back to the drawing board.

Martin.
klugesmith
Mon Feb 07 2011, 11:15PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Martin King wrote ...
I need to check for contamination (specifically water) in various types of Alcohol. Quick tests with a brewing and a battery hydrometer have revealed that if I use a float type hydrometer then it will have to be made for the job. Does anyone know of any more sensitive (maybe electronic) ways of testing the relative density of alcohol?
Cheers.
Martin.
Yes, you need a hydrometer made for the specific gravity range between alcohol and water.
By "made for the job" do you mean it's not a common catalog item?
Then you're looking in the wrong catalogs. Search google or ebay for alcohol hydrometer.
[edit] Oops, sorry, I see that's already been addressed!

I first used one at the age of 9, when my family lived at an oil-pipeline outpost in Saudi Arabia (a legally dry country). When Dad's sugar water fermentation was ready, he borrowed a stainless-steel still from the maintenance shop. My job was to log the time, boiling temperature, and specific gravity as each jar-full distilled over. The first jar twice-distilled served as fuel for my chemistry-set spirit lamp.
Oh, as for starting with plain sugar -- to the neutral spirits product, apparently they added a concentrate to impart the color and flavor of various beverages. Probably no Glenlivet!

Proud Mary
Tue Feb 08 2011, 04:00PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Martin King wrote ...

Thanks, the main alcohol to be tested is isopropanol, it's density is VERY close to ethanol so a spirit hydrometer should be OK for our purposes. We need to check for water contamination of greater than 5 or 10% (not sure yet what the acceptable limit is) we know that 20% is unusable. I should have the hydrometers sometime this week they were cheap enough to try, if they are no good then it's back to the drawing board.

1297180778 543 FT0 Noname

Martin King
Tue Feb 08 2011, 04:35PM
Thanks, although I suspect a freezer that goes down low enough isn't going to be cheap! The hydrometers arrived today (although one was broken frown ) so I'll try the SG method this evening.

Martin.
GluD
Tue Feb 08 2011, 05:16PM
GluD Registered Member #1221 Joined: Wed Jan 09 2008, 06:17PM
You dont need a freezer if you have access to dry ice and acetone. I think a well made ice bath with those two should be able to reach somewhere around -70*C.

Link2
klugesmith
Tue Feb 08 2011, 07:11PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
GluD wrote ...

You dont need a freezer if you have access to dry ice and acetone. I think a well made ice bath with those two should be able to reach somewhere around -70*C.

Link2

The equilibrium temperature of dry ice at 1 atm is -78C = 195K.
Not cold enough to freeze acetone (MP -95C = 178K)
or even pure isopropanol (MP -89C = 184K),
both of which are used in cooling baths.

But maybe it could freeze out a water-rich fraction from wet isopropanol
and leave a water-poor liquid phase.
Who here is an expert in melting and boiling of mixtures?
GluD
Tue Feb 08 2011, 08:20PM
GluD Registered Member #1221 Joined: Wed Jan 09 2008, 06:17PM
Hello Klugesmith

I dont think you have to freeze either the acetone nor the isopropanol.

If the solution is still liquid in a cooling bath with a temperature of -78*C, the solution should be pure enough to statisfy the demand for less then 10% water (it would freeze if there was 10% or more water). Or have I missed something?

Of course it would not reveal the exact concentration of the solution but I'm not sure if that is necessary or not.

And no I'm sadly not an expert in melting and boiling of mixtures, I'm just trying to help with what little knowledge I have...
It was just a suggestion if he had access to dry ice and acetone then I suppose it would be a quick and cheap way to check if it is more or less than 10% water.
Ash Small
Tue Feb 08 2011, 09:04PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Apparently liquid nitrogen is quite easy to obtain. If the samples to be analysed are small you won't need a lot to cool them.

Obviously other factors have to be considered, but this would provide accurate results.
Martin King
Tue Feb 08 2011, 11:26PM
Well the spirit hydrometer is fine and a lot more sensitive than I thought it would be. It easily resolves 1% between 90 and 100% and the markings are far enough apart to guestimate to 0.5%. It also comes with a temperature compensation chart although I'm going to be doing relative measurements between a known good sample and the test sample so calibration/compensation is a bit less important.

Martin.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: