Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Steve Conner DRSSTC Model question

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
HV Enthusiast
Thu Jun 01 2006, 02:10PM Print
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Hey Steve,

I was playing around with your PSPICE models last night to try verifying your spark loading model, and was wondering what is StrLn units? From backwards calculation, it appears to be meters, but just wanted to double check.

Thanks
Dan
Steve Conner
Thu Jun 01 2006, 03:03PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yup, it's meters. I never did figure out which model was more suited, mine or Terry's 220k+1pF/ft, so if you have anything to add, I'd be glad to hear it smile
HV Enthusiast
Thu Jun 01 2006, 06:00PM
Attached are some simulations and simulated data i took regarding this DRSSTC III system i am currently testing. Per the model, the arc lengths seem to be out of whack quite a bit, so voltage is too high on V6 i think. Perhaps, in practice, the geometry of the toroid will limit the maximum voltage rise.

Any suggestions???

Attached Data (PDF)

1. Frequency Response PSPICE Circuit
2. Steve Conner PSPICE Circuit
3. Primary Natural Frequency Plots (Cpri = 0.0825uF)
4. Primary Natural Frequency Plots (Cpri = 0.11uF)
5. Secondary Natural Frequency Plots
6. Primary Current Tuning Plots (Cpri = 0.0825uF)
7. FFT of Primary Current Tuning Plots (Cpri = 0.0825uF)
8. Primary Current Tuning Plots (Cpri = 0.11uF)
9. FFT of Primary Current Tuning Plots (Cpri = 0.11uF)
10. Spark Length Prediction (0.0825uF, 9uH)
11. Spark Length Prediction (0.0825uF, 12uH)
12. Spark Length Prediction (0.11uF, 9uH)
13. Spark Length Prediction (0.11uF, 12uH)
14. Spark Length Prediction Pri Capacitor size vs. Pri Tuning (EXCEL)
] 1149184855_15_FT10609_simulated_data_package4.pdf[ /file]
Terry Fritz
Fri Jun 02 2006, 05:16AM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

Way COOL!! about Dan's new coils!!!! How does he get those "blowing up" pictures "timed" just right?? I use video cameras to catch such events (it works good!!), but Dan seems to have the "nice" camera ready to go at just the right split second!! Sound triggered shutter????

I have been working on streamer (leaders really) load models a lot the last two days (OK, "ALL" I have been doing wink). For ScanTesla's new dynamic streamer load modeling. Many of the details are here:

Link2

But the streamer load is:

""""""""""""""
LengthTemp = 2.8 * sqrt(0.5 * VCsec_max * VCsec_max * (C2 + C3) * BPS); //Secondary energy length factor.

BreakoutLength = 2.8 * sqrt(0.5 * BreakoutVoltage * BreakoutVoltage * C2 * BPS); //Secondary breakout length.

if (LengthTemp < BreakoutLength) {C3 = 0.06666667 * LengthTemp * 1.0e-12;} //Streamer capacitive load.
else {C3 = (0.15 * LengthTemp - 0.08333333 * BreakoutLength ) * 1.0e-12;}
""""""""""""""

Now that is a mess... But basically, small streamers near the terminal have very little added capacitance. The secondary terminal voltage, and its trying to breakout, - dominate the "load". Once the secondary voltage breaks out, the capacitance is a nice linear line as a function of streamer length dictated by Freau's formula with a modified constant. The coil's terminal geometry dictates where the inflection or transition point is as "breakout voltage". It finally DOES predict bigger top loads are better smile)))

BreakoutLength is due to the fact that you really can't break a 1 inch streamer from a 30 inch sphere wink) If you breakout, you have a "minimum" length...

The program's number are pretty close now, but could use some adjusting or at least verification... E-Tesla 6.20 http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/Programs/E-Tesla620.zip
can do that in like weeks of modeling on a 3GHz computer!! I will get that going now wink

But it is really "odd" now... There are so many "rules and constraints" that the models seem pretty "obvious"... There are just not a lot of "options" in streamer modeling now...

Streamer ground strikes are super odd!!! It takes "massive" currents to drain the system to match measured scope readings!! ScanTesla cannot handle the currents unless ulta small time steps are used... I am faking it by draing the system directly at the matrix level... The streamer model "fails" for ground strikes... There is "another" capacitance... But its displacment current might explain racing arcs amazed

The future will tell all....

I think Dan, posted enough info on his new coil now... I will see if I can figure anything out...

My SISG coil with its very low primary loss gets rid of most of the "noise"!!! I can "see" things now shades)) Wonderful things amazed

Cheers,

Terry

Steve Conner
Fri Jun 02 2006, 09:19AM
OMG, Terry is hacking the system at the matrix level. Any minute now he's going to jump out of my TV and offer me red and blue pills. :P

Dan, I guess the problem is that my model doesn't limit the secondary voltage. It has no conception of breakout from the toroid or flashovers down the secondary. So you can generate impossibly long arcs from a small coil (of course my model has no idea what physical size the coil is, so that's not surprising)

I did experiment with zener diodes of 100kV or 500kV or whatever hooked between the "topload" and "ground" to model this, but they made the simulations take far longer or fail to converge at all, so I gave up. Basically, you just have to ignore any configuration that would give output voltage considerably higher tha the breakdown voltage of the bare toroid.
HV Enthusiast
Fri Jun 02 2006, 11:34AM
Thanks guys. I might try incorporating your (Terry) new streamer model in PSPICE to see what comes up.

Thanks again, and we'll keep you posted on any new developments!!
Terry Fritz
Fri Jun 02 2006, 11:09PM
Hi,

Steve said,
I did experiment with zener diodes of 100kV or 500kV or whatever hooked between the "topload" and "ground" to model this, but they made the simulations take far longer or fail to converge at all, so I gave up.

I have some streamer hit pics for the SISG here:

Link2

Only "6 inch hits at 108kV". But the terminal (31.1pF) is discharged in 20nS!! That works out to a streamer resistance of 129 ohms and a streamer peak current of "752 amps!!!" And that is just a 6 inch arc! amazed

It is sort of interesting that the ring after the hit's frequency is 1 / (2 x pi x SQRT(Cs x Lp). But that is probably just chance in this case rather than any great truth...

The SISG fires consitantly enough that the scope's dealy function is easily able to catch hits. smile But the streamer hit times are just too short for MicroSim to deal with it well. There are model setups in the program "somewhere" that might be fiddled with to help.

Dan said,
Thanks guys. I might try incorporating your (Terry) new streamer model in PSPICE to see what comes up.

That sounds like it would make my brain hurt! cry If you know the arc length, put in 1.5pF/foot + 220k and be done with it. The "dynamic" stuff really does not vary the models that much. It is good for ScanTesla "trying things" since it detects configurations that are not real good and hurt the streamer length. But for a MicroSim model, I don't think you would gain anything.

There is a minimum breakout voltage and a minimum streamer length after breakout. But the streamers in the MicroSim world are basically established and the arc channel is solid, so it does not change during a streamer. You should just be able to set it and forget it.

Cheers,

Terry

Steve Conner
Sat Jun 03 2006, 12:18PM
Hi Terry, all,

In streamer modelling, I always assumed arcs to ground to be more or less short circuits that discharge the topload instantly. So that agrees with what you measured. I discovered that it is possible to get ground arcs that stay dim and purple, when the coil is striking out just about as far as it can reach, and these don't discharge the topload instantly.

I think what is happening is this: When a streamer strikes ground, the current flow through it will increase because it now has a conductive path to ground as well as a capacitive one. This will make the streamer get hotter and lower its resistance, which increases the current even more. This process usually "runs away" and ends up with the streamer "transitioning" in a matter of nanoseconds, to a bright white arc that looks like a short circuit. However, it doesn't always run away. If the streamer is just about as long as the coil can produce (so its resistance is pretty high) and especially if it's a high frequency coil (so the capacitive currents are bigger compared to the conductive ones) it just might not happen.

As to the ringing after the strike that Terry saw: The quick discharge of the topload is a step function that could kick the system back into oscillation at any of its resonant modes.
HV Enthusiast
Sat Jun 03 2006, 12:49PM
Terry, All,

Did you actually measure the peak current (i.e. 752A) in the output arc ground strikes or was this simulated value? In practice, i have never measured anything above 10A peak current (for my medium size DRSSTCs) with high current ground arcs.

Terry Fritz
Sat Jun 03 2006, 05:25PM
Hi,

Did you actually measure the peak current (i.e. 752A) in the output arc ground strikes or was this simulated value? In practice, i have never measured anything above 10A peak current (for my medium size DRSSTCs) with high current ground arcs.

It might be the frequency reponse or rise time of the current monitor. I will look into that... Maybe the oscillation is messing with the monitor. The top terminal voltage was measured with planewave antenna good to 100MHz. Maybe a much better 100's of MHz CT is needed or a sheilded air core current transformer. My Pearson #101 100:1 CT is rated at 100nS rise time and 4MHz... The #110 is 20nS and 20MHz. Probably needs a 50ohm cable termination too at those speeds.

I used 108kV, 31.1pF, and 20nS for the RC time constant.

5RC = 20nS So R = 128.6 ohms.

If the terminal voltage is 108kV then the peak current is 108000 / 128.6 = 840 amps. (I had 97kV in my head yeasterday, but it is 108kV).

I discovered that it is possible to get ground arcs that stay dim and purple, when the coil is striking out just about as far as it can reach, and these don't discharge the topload instantly.

You can see the first low current light contacts in the scope pics in:

Link2

These are the leaders "tickling around" at the ground terminal. If you play it just right, those will be the only light arcing and you can avoid the "big one". Your other comments about this sound fine to me.

As to the ringing after the strike that Terry saw: The quick discharge of the topload is a step function that could kick the system back into oscillation at any of its resonant modes.

It could also be ground noise on the scope leads and such. Pumping 840 amps into the ground in 20nS might causee measurement errors suprised Not sure... - Apparently not... Further testing seems to confirm tha the scope reading are good and pure.

Cheers,

Terry

Hi Again,

To follow up. Dan said:

I tested my Pearson #110 (10:1 20nS rise time 20MHz) and #101 (100:1 100nS rise time 4MHz) side by side on the wire from the grounded strike point to see how they compare. The coax cables from them were both terminated into 50 ohms at the scope inputs. Everything is as before.

Link2

The Yellow trace is the 4MHz #101 and the Blue trace is the 20MHz #110.

So the 4MHz current monitor is pretty usless and the 20MHz one is probably loosing a bunch of the spike...

So if one want's to measure streamer strike currents really accurately, you probably need 100MHz if not 1GHz suprised 0f current probe bandwidth. And it needs to probably do 1000 amps for just "little" arcs. I don't know what kind of current monitor Dan was using, but maybe this is what caused to apparently very low readings?

Cheers,

Terry

Hi Yet Again,

I looked into using a Rogowski coil. But if v(t) = -m/RC i(t), the numbers just work out into impossible elements at say 20nS rise time and 1000 amps... They just don't do 50,000 A/uS stuff cry

So going to try a mutual inductance loop... Very insensitive, but it might pick this monster signal up with some accuracy wink

Cheers,

Terry

Hi Again Again cheesey

The inductance loop works!! I just made about a 5 inch loop of wire terminated to a 50 ohm low inductance resistor. The 50 ohm coax was terminated to 50 ohms at the scope too.

Link2

The loop (purple) is about 6 inches away from the ground wire for the strike target (yellow). It just inductively couples to whatever high current high speed signals happen to be around.

I found one! cheesey

It is still real "ringy". I may have run out of bandwidth on the scope now too. The loop could be much smaller since the signal almost pegs the scope!! The resistor could have been a much smaller 1 Watt surface mount too but I don't have one handy. The current is not to any scale. But the signal is somwwhat cleaner although far from "really" clean...

Basically, the discharge is very fast. 20nS or less. And the current is "high" probably like 1000 amps.

So I would say that Dan's reading of 10 amps is "low" smile It would take a small very well terminated for 1GHz loop and a 1GHz scope to really see it well I think. It is possible to "calibrate" such a thing too...

If one "touches" such a spark, it is odd to think about what say 100MW in 20nS might be doing to the atoms in ones body amazed And this is just a "tiny" 6 inch spark...

Cheers,

Terry

Me again,

Here is a real interesting post on streamer arc to ground currents and times:

Link2

Here is a note on the "new" ScanTesla7.61 and how it does streamer loading:

Link2

Cheers,

Terry
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: